Options

Leaving T@B or Staying T@B

So I am finally selling my T@B next month and now trying to decide what I am upgrading/downgrading to...

Since this forum is for T@Bs, I think I'm just going to ask y'all about the potential T@B I am thinking about. I have been looking at T@B 400 online and found out the fridge runs only on 110V/battery... no propane on fridge is a deal breaker for me...

So I got a question for 400 owners:
Have you dry camped with your 400? How long does the battery last without charging?

I am thinking about (IF I get a 400) getting a 200W solar panel and go dual battery setup. Hope that would be good enough to run the fridge for 4-5 days. I mainly use RV parks for camping, but I do dry camp couple of times a year (the longest I have done so far was 4 days).

The things I didn't like about my 2015 Outback were the super unreliable Norcold fridge and the very weak 5000BTU A/C. I wish they had a southern state version with stronger fridge and A/C (maybe 8000BTU)...

I am still thinking about cheaper/larger options for mainly larger fridge/water tanks (oh and propane option for fridge). T@B 400 is one of the options. I know nobody else in the price range can beat the quality of what T@B can offer.

Jiro

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jiro, you should investigate the 400's fridge and dual battery setup. The fridge has a compressor, putting it in the same category as my ARB. If someone else's calculations were correct, the fridge has approximately the same capacity as my 50 quart ARB. I saw one report of dual batteries having 350 Ah of battery storage which would be a tremendous upgrade. 

But, this is all second hand knowledge, so please talk to a dealer about the compressor in the fridge and the different battery configurations. 

As a comparison, my dual 6-Volt golf cart batteries are either 225 or 232 Ah of storage. I keep them topped off well with my 200 watt solar panels. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    Verna:
    Only thing I see on their website is the 400 has 235ah battery. I am in going to do some research on the fridge, but dual 235ah would be really nice.

boo:
    Yes, I know that's why I said I'm still looking at other options. The 400 is just one of the options I have. I thought the 400 was 28k-30k...

Jiro
  • Options
    The price of the 400 is going down as the production has been increasing. Jiro, it's best to check with the dealer. $35K was one of the early prices, but not now. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    They're selling the 400 for $29,500-$37,334 on RV Trader, but most of them are around $30k. I just don't want to a "shed on wheel," and that's why I'm still looking at the 400. There are some trailers I can accept the size and design, but T@Bs are different from any other options I've been looking at...

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    JiroTX, from what I have read, the 2 way Norcold is very reliable and does not use as much battery as the 3 way.  The 3 way on battery runs at a fixed temperature - hence the inefficiency.  If you mainly camp at RV parks and only dry camp for up to 4 days, then a 2 way frig and solar is fine.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Would the Scamp camper be an option for you?  Larger refrigerator, bath, rooftop AC, lower price...
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Thanks for the info SAM.

Roamey:
    No, Scamp is not an option for me. If I am giving up on T@Bs, I'll go with a larger option. Scamp's water tanks are way too small. R-Pod has 30-35G tanks. I am now looking at $13k-20k trailers (around 20' up to 22') and the 400.

Jiro
  • Options
    We'd love to keep you in the family, @Jiro, but you are the one who has to ultimately decide. Good luck.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The A/C in the 400 is a cool Cat.  Had that in our 320 QM@XX and it is 13500btu cooling with heat pump.  Would cool really well in Hot Oklahoma.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Verna, I know I really like the size and design of the T@B's, but I am still looking at other options for what I want (larger fridge/water tanks). R-Pod basically has what I want, but it is cheaply made (I haven't checked the newest models). Plus I hate frogs...
    R-Pod clones (Winnebago/Jayco/Starcraft) all have smaller tanks compared to R-Pod, and none of them have thermostats for A/C like R-Pod does.

atlasb, thanks for the info about the Coolcat. 13,500btu should be big enough for the 400.

Jiro
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TrikePete, Good to know that folks actually take the time to READ THE MANUAL. Personal opinion: if folks took the time, it would alleviate a LOT of initial "problems" and occurrences from happening to begin with!!!! Driveway camping is another good way to familiarize one's self as well.
    Glad to hear you're stayin' in the "family", and please keep us informed of your new experience! Thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RamseyRamsey Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a tab 400 last week Elk River Minnesota with solar package $30,900. Factory did excellent job installing. All A+ quality components 1200/2400 inverter,Discover battery , zamp flexible 2-100 watt panels. 
  • Options
    Texas_DaveTexas_Dave Member Posts: 18
    We sat in a t@b 400 as we waiting on our brakes to be added to our car after purchasing our t@g last Saturday. I think you need to sit in and explore the t@b 400. The thing is beautifully designed. I could see myself getting one down the road as I approach retirement. Maybe Ramsey's when he's ready to sell. :)
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We really like the our T@B and have done a lot of mods to get it the way we wanted it to be. But if we were to go to a bigger trailer it would not be a 400. It looks great but something like a 17' Escape or one of the new ProLites from Roulette would suit us better. They just have a more useful shape.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    RamseyRamsey Member Posts: 6
    Garage doors 102inches camper 100inches....no storage fees or left outside in elements. See through front and back 400 Windows so able to see behind camper in rearview mirror. A couple factors other than quality. 
  • Options
    I know I need to go look at it. Princess Craft just posted a video on YouTube. I probably will take a day off and go look at one next week (if they have it instock). I'll try to look at the 400 after I look at others. I just need to make it the last stop. I know I will want it really bad when I sit in it...
    $30K....

https://youtu.be/2V900dCmv0U

Jiro
  • Options
    Jo3Jo3 Member Posts: 8
    Jiro, I was very impressed with the email and phone correspondence with Steve Johnson at Round Rock.  If we had not "needed" one for our June trip; we were planning to order from them.  
    Addressing your refridge, solar question:  We ended up getting a new battery, (Nucamp was great quick and great about reimbursing us) on the road in North Dakota.  We did dry camp a week conserving solar in Glacier.  We were under some trees, but did get sun on solar part of day.  The refridge was kept on.  Solar showed anywhere from 1/3 to full.  As a precaution, we tried not to run the pump when the refridge was running it's cycle.  I was impressed with the freezer making ice and refreezing ice pacs.  As a precaution, I rotated one to the refridge portion behind the milk.  (I like it very cold.). A solar guru was camped down from us and he advised us to get a volt meter which we have now purchased for our next trip.