Options

First Boon Docking Trip-Battery/Generator Questions

Hi, I'm planning my first boon docking trip (and trying to learn what to do and what not to do) I'm going to be using an inverter generator sometimes. I'm thinking I will be able to plug the whole T@B into the generator using the 20amp house outlet adapter.  Does anyone know if this will work so long as I don't turn on a lot of stuff? I know I cant run the fridge or A/C on the generator.   I'm thinking that the battery will charge automatically while on generator right? Or, do I need to bring my battery charger and plug it in separately?  If I can do either thing, which one is faster? I've got a lot to learn before my trip, but this was really my most pressing question.

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    What size generator?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If it's a Honda or similar generator, the gas tank is less than a half gallon for the 2000W gens. Take extra gas. Honda has an extender tank that's 5 gallons, but it's only for the 2000i series (last time I checked). If you plan on using it for AC and you have the extender tank, you may have it run ok for the night. Either that, or you get up every 45 min and add gasoline.

How big is your battery? Even a fully charged group 24 will boondock for a 3 day weekend without issues (sorry, no AC or microwave... or curling iron or toaster or drip coffee pot lol - although you can run them off the appropriate sized generator). 

I'm afraid you've asked a loaded question. There's so many "ifs". Can you be more specific on the time you are going to be out?

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I considering several generator brands at the moment but all are between 2000 and 2200 watts.  The max Im willing to spend is about $600 on the generator.  They all seem to have at least a one gallon tank.  Im not planning to run the ac. I was just going to rely on the fantastic fan. Im just planning a trip arriving mid day Friday and heading home Sunday mornig. I take good care of thr battery, 24 group size, i keep it on a battery tender when not in use and I check the water level.  I really want to upgrade to 2 six volt batteries but Im not thrilled about the $$$ that is racking up. The main things I expect to use are the dvd player and tv and the ceiling fan and one led light.  
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,501
    edited July 2017
    @robyn769 I'm finding the FF disappointing for pulling enough cool air in to make a big difference. It works well for pulling air through and out the top, especially if the windows are opened. I've added a small oscillating fan from the house to move air inside. It also works really well with the A/C. For me this is a budget friendly option.

Also, I paid the difference between the 24 volt and 27 volt battery to the dealer before we took delivery of our tab. On my first trip  I didn't know the power pole was turned off,  I went two days  strictly on battery and propane and had no power issues with the basics at all.  That might be a good option for you  while you save for a 6 volt setup. Good luck on your search!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Robyn: if you don't plan on running the air conditioner, you can easily get by with a 1000 Watt generator. They are much lighter than a 2000 Watt unit (my Honda 2000 weighs 48 lbs. empty). However, if you can handle the extra weight, Westinghouse makes a 2000W that's available on Amazon for $420. I now several people that have them and are very pleased with its performance.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The 50 decibel generators needed in a campground when boondocking cost upwards of $800-1000. You could find someone selling one for cheaper. The other generators are noisy, VERY heavy and wouldn't be allowed. Even in BLM lands, those type of noisy generators mysteriously stop working. No one wants to hear them. I have a 3550W that runs the lights and water heaters in a barn overnight. It has it's own wheels (needs it's own motor lol). 

If you are boondocking from Fri-Sat, your own battery should be sufficient. Use your FFan sparingly. Get an O2 fan that runs on D batteries. Use those tiny charge stations to keep your phone charged up (they are good for 2-3 charges or more). They even charge ipads and ipods. Consider putting in a switch for the Jenson stereo unit if you aren't going to use it. Even using it one weekend with a rainy day, I still had plenty of battery left on a group 24 with judicious use of lights (using solar and battery operated ones), FFan, pump and still watched a movie. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    BTW, a 20A output generator like the Honda 2000W and similar generators are still 20A and your camper is 30A. You can't run everything on 2000W. It'll run the AC, but don't try to run the Alde on electric or the frig on electric. 2000W generators really peak at 2000W for a few minutes and then run constantly at 1600W. A 1000W runs at peak for a few and then runs constantly at 800W. It's not like the days of old when 2000W meant that was the sustained running wattage (like my old 3550W).
  • Options
    @robyn769 I'm finding the FF disappointing for pulling enough cool air in to make a big difference. It works well for pulling air through and out the top, especially if the windows are opened. I've added a small oscillating fan from the house to move air inside. It also works really well with the A/C. For me this is a budget friendly option.

Also, I paid the difference between the 24 volt and 27 volt battery to the dealer before we took delivery of our tab. On my first trip  I didn't know the power pole was turned off,  I went two days  strictly on battery and propane and had no power issues with the basics at all.  That might be a good option for you  while you save for a 6 volt setup. Good luck on your search!
    Great information on the FF.  This is exactly the stuff I'm trying to find out. I will definitely go with a small fan that I can sit close by on the back shelf area of the bed.  Its beginning to look like an investment in the 2-6volt batteries would be the best use of my available funds instead of buying the generator.  I didn't realize initially that I could get so many hours out of just batteries. 
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Robyn: if you don't plan on running the air conditioner, you can easily get by with a 1000 Watt generator. They are much lighter than a 2000 Watt unit (my Honda 2000 weighs 48 lbs. empty). However, if you can handle the extra weight, Westinghouse makes a 2000W that's available on Amazon for $420. I now several people that have them and are very pleased with its performance.
    Thanks Tabaz. This is exactly the kind of advice I was seeking.  I'm not expecting to be able to use the A/C and my boondock trip is in September.  I'm glad you called out the weight of the 2000w generator. I do have issues with my back and my back is the last thing I need to go out on a camping trip other than the lights! I'm thinking now, get 2 6 volt batteries and the smaller 1000w generator (to recharge the batteries if/when needed) and I should be good to go!  I actually have the Westinghouse in my cart on Amazon. It was in my top two options.  I will go back now and check out the smaller watt models too since I think you are right that I don't need 2000w (1600 rated)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    The 50 decibel generators needed in a campground when boondocking cost upwards of $800-1000. You could find someone selling one for cheaper. The other generators are noisy, VERY heavy and wouldn't be allowed. Even in BLM lands, those type of noisy generators mysteriously stop working. No one wants to hear them. I have a 3550W that runs the lights and water heaters in a barn overnight. It has it's own wheels (needs it's own motor lol). 

If you are boondocking from Fri-Sat, your own battery should be sufficient. Use your FFan sparingly. Get an O2 fan that runs on D batteries. Use those tiny charge stations to keep your phone charged up (they are good for 2-3 charges or more). They even charge ipads and ipods. Consider putting in a switch for the Jenson stereo unit if you aren't going to use it. Even using it one weekend with a rainy day, I still had plenty of battery left on a group 24 with judicious use of lights (using solar and battery operated ones), FFan, pump and still watched a movie. 
    I'm wondering about the switch for the Jensen.  I do however hope to use that to watch at least three DVDs over the weekend.  I wonder if that's going to be too much for my 24 group battery?  I guess I would be fine if I opt for the two new 6 volt batteries and a 1000watt inverter generator just limited use for recharging the batteries.  My BIGGEST concern is the noise of the generator, so I'm hoping when I check on the 1000w that they will be much quieter.  I was looking at the Inverter Generators and I see a couple that look very promising for under $600 and the decibels are rated in the 50 range.  I like the battery powered fan idea too since I can just stock up on D batteries.  I wish there was a 12volt outlet back in the bed area so I could get a 12volt fan to plug in.  I also already have a POD-X1 so that is good for my cell phone.
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    BTW, a 20A output generator like the Honda 2000W and similar generators are still 20A and your camper is 30A. You can't run everything on 2000W. It'll run the AC, but don't try to run the Alde on electric or the frig on electric. 2000W generators really peak at 2000W for a few minutes and then run constantly at 1600W. A 1000W runs at peak for a few and then runs constantly at 800W. It's not like the days of old when 2000W meant that was the sustained running wattage (like my old 3550W).
    I have a 20Amp adapter for my trailer 30Amp power cord that I got from the dealer.  I was thinking I would just be able to use the 20amp adapter an plug the whole camper into the 2000w geneator knowing obviously I can't run the a/c or have a power party in the T@B.  I was planning to run the Alde and the fridge on propane. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    robyn769 said:
    Ratkity said:
    I have a 20Amp adapter for my trailer 30Amp power cord that I got from the dealer.  I was thinking I would just be able to use the 20amp adapter an plug the whole camper into the 2000w geneator knowing obviously I can't run the a/c or have a power party in the T@B.  I was planning to run the Alde and the fridge on propane. 
    Hrm.. your definition of a "power party" is different than mine!! :rofl: Powah Parteeeay is GLAMPING with lots of friends, a wet bar, munchies, disco lights on the tree canapy, great music and a big campfire.

I have my camper plugged into an outdoor power cord with an adaptor. They work great. I have a couple. They disappear mysteriously. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Robyn - you may want to consider a 100 watt solar suite case system instead of a generator.  Harbor freight has one on sale for $149. It weighs about 34 pounds. I too hate the sound of any generator while camping and prefer to use my solar panels.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,705
    edited July 2017
    @robyn769 Look over Jkjenns blog about power management.  She has a spreadsheet that breaks down the estimated amp use of practically everything in the Tab, and it is a priceless resource.  With just a quick look, using the DVD/TV, Fan at 70%, and a reading light ( all at the same time) you will be using "maybe" 2 amps.
    Knowledge is Power!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi