Options

1500 Watt PureSine Wave inverter

dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
edited July 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
Grocery List

VertaMax 1500 Watt (3000W surge) 12V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC to AC Car, Solar, Off-Grid, RV (Cables + Remote Switch Included)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KUASRIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

E2 by Scoshe EWFH Single ANL Fuse Holder

https://www.amazon.com/Scoshe-EWFH-Single-Fuse-Holder/dp/B000KIR8M0/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000KIR8M0&pd_rd_r=T744XR012JKTVSDPYW9X&pd_rd_w=O3gMO&pd_rd_wg=RAKDb&psc=1&refRID=T744XR012JKTVSDPYW9X

DB Link ANL250 250 Amp ANL Fuse

https://www.amazon.com/Link-ANL250-250-Amp-Fuse/dp/B0002YE2RQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1498971621&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=ANL+Fuses+250+Amp+Gold+Plated

7.5' 2 guage wire with 
5/16 lugs I had a local battery shop make them at a cost of $70.00 Yep these bad boys aren't cheap.
2' 2 guage wire with 5/16 lugs 

3/4" plywood 10.25" x 24" Had some laying around. 

I had a 12 gauge piece of extension I pulled off something I used to wire the AC plug. (but you could wire a plug to romex)
standard remodel Gang 20 cu. in. Non-Metallic Old Work Outlet Box

Square plug and cover to match the box that is there.

Well, I started by deciding where to mount the inverter. I was hoping to put it in my tongue box because it is better to have the inverter wires shorter and closer to the battery. However, the installation instruction said to not put it in an area with flammable liquids and I store a 2 gallon gas can in my tongue box and of course there is propane. I always believed it be mounted in the electrical box area under the drivers side seat cushion. So, after taking measurements, I decided 3/4 inch piece of plywood would work and I had some laying around. I decided to just glue it on and used gorilla construction glue but you could use liquid nails or just bolt it on. I did put one screw in by crawling under the frame and shooting it through wheel well. I plan to add another just for support by shooting through the wheel. Pretty confident that the glue will hold but I'll report back if I need to do more. 

The part of this installation that concerned me the most was running the cables and figuring where and how they should go. I mistakenly thought that I could run the wires through the tube that runs goes behind the shower wall and thought it exited outside the wall under the trailer. No such luck, that tube ends on the other side of the shower wall, below the pump and inside the wall.  :s

The battery wires can only be routed through the floor and run under the frame, to where ever you batteries are located. 

Feel free to ask questions, since everyone's setup is different, my installation is not necessarily repeatable.

The 2x2 is just there for pressure, I also used a furniture clamp reversed so it would add pressure on the top.

Darn it really looked centered when I drilled the hole for the switch.

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Thank you for the mod report. I've been thinking about installing an inverter but I haven't quite defined what my motive would be. What was your primary motivation - will you be able to run the A/C while not on shore power?
  • Options
    Tommy said:
    Thank you for the mod report. I've been thinking about installing an inverter but I haven't quite defined what my motive would be. What was your primary motivation - will you be able to run the A/C while not on shore power?
    @tommy we are camping at harvest host sites and generators are not always allowed. So, @Sandiegogal  my more important half, loves to camp, but not being able to blow dry hair is not an option. So, that was the primary reason to install an inverter. Of course a hair dryer doesn't require pure sine, so I figured if we were going that route, I wanted to have the option to charge electronics as well. Also, gives us the option to run our toaster oven, mircowave and use the electric drip coffee maker, all without hookups. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    What do you have for batteries in your T@B?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Two 100ah AGM and I just added two100 watt solar panels
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2017
    dsatwork said:
    Photomom said:
    Two 100ah AGM and I just added two100 watt solar panels

The 230 AH AGM in the T@b 400 is brilliant. If my 12v ever die, that might be the replacement, for me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014