Options

Longest trip so far ... which means lots of new questions!

Just got back from 5 days in Acadia National Park. This was our longest trip yet. We stayed in the newish Schoodic Woods Campground because it was the only park-run campground with water and electric hook-ups. No sewer hook-ups and no showers at all on the property. This meant, I finally got the guts to try the tiny shower in our CS-S. I was so pleasantly surprised that it worked out great (I was fearful that showering would be nearly impossible in that tiny space!) However, because there was no sewer hook-up on site, we had to take a couple of bucket runs to empty the black tank at the dump station. This wasn't too disgusting because it was mostly shower water, dishes water, and, well, #1. No #2. We realized we have no idea how big our black tank is--so that's question 1. We have a 2013 CS-S without a gray tank (black only). Does anyone know how many gallons that holds. Bonus points if anyone knows how much our fresh water tank holds, too. :)

On our way home, we realized that the black strip that runs along the outside of the T@B was coming off! We pulled over and my husband pulled out the duct tape to stick it back on there. Question 2: is there a caulk or epoxy or something we should use to re-apply this stripping? Also, noticed that part of it broke off entirely...where can we buy this?

Oh yeah, and question 3. The bathroom light no longer works. I unscrewed the light fixture and the lighting apparatus looked like nothing I'd seen before. Kind of a round, tiny electronic panel. I was guessing that this is some type of LED light. Any insight on what I need to buy to replace that?

The T@B keeps feeling cozier and cozier as we continue to discover how much stuff we really need (less than we think, always) and figure out storage solutions. We are now organized enough so that we are able to pull into our driveway, unhitch, pull the T@B into the garage and unpack within 30 minutes! 
Live. Travel. Eat. Repeat. 
2013 Orange & Grey T@B CS-S: Villa Ar@ncia
Follow my travels on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookwithkerrydotcom/

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    If you mean that black plastic strip that runs along the Keder rail, nobody seems to know exactly what it is for, so most seem to remove them and toss them. Others think it is some good protection for the rail when there isn't anything attached.  I tossed mine.

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4997/what-do-you-do-with-the-black-vinyl-keder-rail-strip-once-you-remove-it

If you mean a different piece of weatherstripping:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3593/weatherstripping-flew-off-in-hot-weather

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
          I'm curious about your bucket run to the dump station.  I might have to do that some day.  What did you use for a bucket? 2 gallon, 5 gallon?  covered, uncovered? Did you get any strange looks? 
          To bad you don't have the gray water tank?  What year is your T@B S ?

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    I should pay more attention.  I see after re-reading your post that you have a 2013 T@B CS/S.  Did that year not have a gray water tank or  does the CS/S not have a gray water tank? 

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    newell said:
    I should pay more attention.  I see after re-reading your post that you have a 2013 T@B CS/S.  Did that year not have a gray water tank or  does the CS/S not have a gray water tank? 
    Not sure when it changed, but the newer CS-S has black and gray tanks.  My 2016 does.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @fuzzypinkbunny
    Glad you had a glorious visit to Acadia. We also had the strip on our 2014 T@B-CS soften and pull away. It's pretty easy to fix.

On our way home, we realized that the black strip that runs along the outside of the T@B was coming off! We pulled over and my husband pulled out the duct tape to stick it back on there. Question 2: is there a caulk or epoxy or something we should use to re-apply this stripping? Also, noticed that part of it broke off entirely...where can we buy this?

The CS models do not have the molded edging like the other T@Bs. Instead it a black strip that is similar to the one used to cover the keder rail. It covers your roof seal from the elements. In earlier model years the material stretched in the sun/heat of the summer. They use a different material now that holds up much better. Contact Elsie in Parts at nüCamp (330) 852-4811 for the strip material and adhesive.

Happy Trails!

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    fuzzypinkbunnyfuzzypinkbunny Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the replies. We do not have a gray water tank because it's an older model. Before we bought, I fully expected to have both based on research, but I guess they've made changes over the years! It was a surprise to me not to have both the gray and the black tanks.

@skwhee, Thanks for the info. I will contact Elsie for the black stripping.

@newell We have a 4 gallon bucket that is now the sewer bucket. :P We didn't fill it all of the way and then we just covered it with a towel and drove it (slowly) to the dump station. No strange looks. I don't think we would have done it with...um, dirtier water. But since it was just a little pee and sink water, it worked fine. I could have hitched up and fully unloaded, but that seemed like a pain. 
    Live. Travel. Eat. Repeat. 
    2013 Orange & Grey T@B CS-S: Villa Ar@ncia
    Follow my travels on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookwithkerrydotcom/
  • Options

We have a 4 gallon bucket that is now the sewer bucket. :P We didn't fill it all of the way and then we just covered it with a towel and drove it (slowly) to the dump station. No strange looks. I don't think we would have done it with...um, dirtier water. But since it was just a little pee and sink water, it worked fine. I could have hitched up and fully unloaded, but that seemed like a pain. 
        That reminds me of my sailboat days.  In one of my less sophisticated ones we had the little Thetford portable.  I remember carrying that covered with a towel to the marina bathroom.  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    On a recent trip I saw someone who had one of those wheeled, portable tanks for transporting waste water between your camp and the dump station. I've seen them before, but this one caught my eye because it was being towed (slowly) behind a vehicle. I'm not sure if the hitch was homemade or something commercially available.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    There is an attachment available for the thetford portable tanks to tow them with.
  • Options
    After a close call in Acadia this week, I got interested in the portable tanks too.  The problem is I don't want to contend with finding a home for another large piece of equipment.  I found this on etrailer and the 6 gallon size seems like a good compromise. I ordered one and I'll let everyone know how it work. Here's the link:
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plumbing/Tote-N-Stor/TNS25951.html

• Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @newell, I bought one of those too from Camping World. I think they just had it sitting in the back and I thought it was perfect for our TAB as it isn't too big and would not take up too much space in the TV. One of the things I do not like about it is that I cannot drain it completely (we only use it for grey water). Somehow some amount of liquid stays in it no matter how much I try tipping it. I leave the cap off after the trip and let it evaporate out. I suggest that when you receive the tank to put some water in it and try to empty the tank completely and see what I mean. I hate to see you put black water stuff in it and not be able to get it all out.

It is low profile enough that it fits under both black and grey water outlets of the T@B. You just have to figure a way to get the stuff from the outlets to the tank.

We used the tank for the first time on our last trip and it came in handy as we were able to take showers each day and I used it twice to empty the grey water tank. 

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We carry 2 , 5 gallon plastic painter buckets found at any hardware store.  I use the Gamma Seal, snap on lids to seal the buckets.  The Gamma seal has the outter part of the lid that snaps onto the bucket and remains on.  The inner part of the lid screws on and has a seal also.  Use them for storing any thing I want to keep dry and found they work really well when I need to dump my gray tanks after a couple of showers etc.  I have found the Gamma seal lids at Home Depot and some Lowe's stores.  check out WWW.gamma2.net.  We see them pretty common around survivalist sites to store provisions for emergency use.  I had looked at the Blue Boy portable tanks and there are so many and they can be large to store and also kinda expensive.  The 5 gallon with these lids seal and are easier to handle 5 gallons of water than 10 .
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the emptying.  I'll try it with just water and decide if I want to keep it.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I like the 6 gallon tote-n-store, @newell. As a Camp Host, sometimes I stay for 4 or 5 days days and that is close to filling my gray tank. I empty 4 to 6 gallons in the tote-n-store, put it on a 4-wheel plastic furniture mover from Harbor Freight, attach a dog leash to it, and take it to the dump station. It's easy. 

And, yes, it is difficult to get that last bit of gray water out, but the evaporation method mentioned by @ChrisandAlexis works very well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna.  Good to know you're happy with it.  

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Verna if you're not careful, someone will report you to the SPCA, forcing Sunny Day to work like that!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
         Well I'm happy to report that my new 6 gal. tote-n-store works great.  Its very low flat profile makes it ideal for the T@B with it's low to the ground drains.  I also ordered a short sewer hose to bridge this very small distance.  When you open the vent hole while filling, you can monitor the fill level as you drain the tank so as not to overflow the container.

When it comes to emptying, it's fairly light to carry to a dump station or even a restroom toilet.  I use the same short hose that I used to fill it.  After a quick rinse, it can be stored in a garbage bag until we get home where I can clean and flush it out thoroughly.  I have a dedicated wet vac that I use for sucking out the sink and shower traps at the end of the season and that works perfectly to remove any liquid left in the tote.  Great purchase :)