Options

Dirty Question (Black Tank Related)

Reading various opinions on this topic, hoping to hear from someone with a T@B.  If there is just a little liquid in the blank tank ... any significant concerns about not dumping and leaving it for 2 weeks until the next trip?

I'm picking up my T@B on Saturday in another state... quick overnight at a KOA, then home in the morning.  Will take it out 2 weeks later and dump after that trip.  If there's "minimal action" in the black tank, any concerns with leaving it?  It's HOT in Denver this time of year...however, if just a little liquid waste, assume it's OK.   Thoughts are appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Honestly, since my black tank is just 5 gallons when full, I have a dedicated 5 gallon bucket that I use to empty at home and pour down the toilet. I pour clear water through it to clean it out and put that down the toilet, and then I put the Happy Camper powder in the tank with water and I'm done. No hose to clean out, no fee to pay to dump. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I've been told that the best thing is to keep a gallon of water and a deodorizing tab in there. That's what I do (although we only use the black tank for #1.)
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I do the same as Verna.  I installed a sewer tank tube (bought from Camping World) to hold my sewer hose, but I've never used it.  I just dump into a bucket and pour down my toilet when I get home.  Much easier than messing around with a sewer hose and a dump station.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I keep it 'primed' after emptying with the gallon of water and bio stuff, but I've let it sit in hot Colorado weather 1/2 full until I could empty it.  It's pretty ripe by then, but did not blow out the hose or anything weird.  I've been told that if you use it for solids as well to let it sit and break down for a bit to avoid clogs in the hose when emptying.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Just to echo Verna, and many others, can't say enough about "Happy Camper"...that stuff seems to break down and neutralize really well.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,523
    My only concern is how little liquid.  To avoid any collection of stuff on the sidewalks, I would add more water before I let it sit.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    edited July 2017
    If you are only going to use the "facilities" for a night or two, consider using a wag bag in the toilet. No dumping, just fold the bag, ziplock and toss in the dumpster at the campground. Others may disagree but I actually find using the double doodle bags much less disgusting than dumping and flushing the hose and tank.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @JustJohn, yup, did that when the temps did this unbelievable drop from the upper 40's to 19F right before the weekend! Yikes! On my inaugural run at that! Harumph.... I just refused to de-winterize even though my sister did with her Alto. Used "Go Anywhere" brand at the time, but have used the other brands as successfully :) (Sis had to re-winterize).

When I had the 5-wide LG, I'd swear by the Travel John bags. Expensive, I know. I gave a couple away to my sis and another skeptic. They were converts by the next morning and swore they'd pay $1+ for one just to not get out of the camper (or in one case, cabin) and use the park facilities in the middle of the night. I do have to mention it was hovering around 33F that night and snowed a wee bit that morning.  :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    We only use ours for #1 too (lol, that may be confusing!).  Being female, I need to use tissue but I just put it in an empty grocery bag instead of in the potty and then throw the used tissue away or flush it in the morning.  Can still use the bag for doggy duty.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I do use Double Doodie bags for when I am winterized on my snowbird trip to AZ.  As soon as I can, I de-winterize and life is normal again!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Verna said:
    I do use Double Doodie bags for when I am winterized on my snowbird trip to AZ.  As soon as I can, I de-winterize and life is normal again!
    They make camping season extend through the winter for me. Also good for remote camping where there are no facilities and no dump sites available.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    IMHO 2 weeks or even 3 weeks know problem. My first RV with a black water holding was in 1975. I would use black water treatment of some kind to address oder.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun