Mounting a tubular sewer pipe holder

I'm no fan of drilling into a trailer frame. I found this method to be just as secure and it doesn't compromise (no matter how slight) the integrity of the steel frame. I simply took a couple of pieces of scrap wood about 1 1/4" x 1" by 6" and with a couple of 1/4" carriage bolts created (2) custom U-bolts the height of the trailer frame.  It also requires a small wooden bushing on the bottom of each one so where the vertical wood piece hangs below the frame it gives something to tighten the nut against so it doesn't stress and possibly break the mounting bracket. The use of locking nuts would probably be preferable to wing nuts.
     The Valterra hose carrier works perfectly to store the hose except you have to put up with the inconvenience of crossing over the trailer hitch after draining the tanks to put the hose away.  There is no room to mount the tube on the driver's side of the frame. In my opinion, a small price to pay for not having to carry that dirty hose around in the TV.  It's available at Camping World and other RV outlets for around $50 bucks.  This install does not require any alteration of the battery/propane tank enclosure or any other part of your camper.  P.S. It also locks just in case you want to put your fishing poles in there too.  

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Well done.  

I thought I would need to do something like this, but so far the tube installed in my battery and propane box has been working just fine for holding the sewer hose.  I did see one report of it snapping off though....
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I made mine with PVC pipe, base and screw cap, drilled holes along the bottom about every 3 inches for drainage and ventilation. Black would have been a better color choice, but it works. A friend helped me secure it on. I did have to shave the orange end pieces down to get it to fit in, but it doesn't hurt it's functionality. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I dont carry sewer hoses but I do carry several 5 foot poles. I mounted the hose carrier below the window. It clears the tub lid and I can acess the poles from either side. Mounted it using expanding anchors and made sure to caulk very well. Haven't had any problems
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118

2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I attached my tube with gear clamps.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 80
    I added an expanding storage tube to the bottom of the Yakama tracks, giving me a 65 inch tube.  I wanted to move the crossbars up a few inches, but found that the factory installed lower towers are screwed into the trailer and can't be moved.  I think this because the vertical installation would slip using the Yakama nut plates.  I used the extra nut plates and shorter socket screws on the top of the holder and added a screw through the track endcap and sealed it with silicon.  I got the 20' Rhino kit and cut about 4' off one of the 10' sections.  (I don't know if the 15' Rhino with a different connector will fit inside the tube.  If so, that would be easier.)
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • suzesuze Member Posts: 9
    The Valterra is 4 1/2" inside so most fittings along with the hose should fit inside.  Nice looking install.
  • newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    I was thinking about drilling some drainage/venting holes in my tube also. It just seems like a good idea to me.

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    If mounting to the tongue, I would three big zip ties would also do the trick.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Be sure the zip ties are the type that are UV resistant.  Panduit is one name brand that is UV resistant. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2018
    Our setup is almost exactly the same as Homebodyatheart's only we secured ours with 3 long gear clamps. We also drilled drain holes along the bottom. We keep a 20 foot hose in the tube and add the short hose that came with the T@B wheen needed. 
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I planning something along this line myself, but will retain the original tub. I can't put my finger at the posts at the moment, but there's at least a couple users here who have made this work by carefully trimming away the lower rear edge of the tub to allow the storage tube to fit through. Once inside the tub there appears to be plenty of room for the tube to pass behind the battery and propane tank.

This seems like a really convenient location for accessing the sewer hose.
    2015 T@B S
  • FishDoctorFishDoctor Member Posts: 59
    ScottG said:
    I planning something along this line myself, but will retain the original tub. I can't put my finger at the posts at the moment, but there's at least a couple users here who have made this work by carefully trimming away the lower rear edge of the tub to allow the storage tube to fit through. Once inside the tub there appears to be plenty of room for the tube to pass behind the battery and propane tank.

This seems like a really convenient location for accessing the sewer hose.
    @ScottG -- this might be one of the threads you are thinking of. I did that kind of sewer hose modification last year and am really happy with it. It wasn't all that hard to do, but it did take some careful measuring.
    Downers Grove, IL
    2017 T@B S Max, Blue and Silver -- "The Blueb@rry"
    States Visited Map
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited March 2018
    Yep, that's it--thanks, @FishDoctor! (I actually had it bookmarked--duh...)

In addition to you, skyeaz, and SGH0004, I vaguely recall a forth member doing the same mod with the metal Outback tub. (EDIT: memory serves this time--see hymie's post below!)

Thanks also for the follow-up report. I'm glad to hear you're happy with the mod, as it does require permanent "damage" to the tub.
    2015 T@B S
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited March 2018
    Being inspired by the members of this forum I decided to jump in and replaced my plastic bubble with a trailer tongue box. Not only did I gain much room for "stuff", it afforded me "free" space for my adjustable hose carrier held on by zip ties. Thanks to those who inspired me!

How difficult was this swap? My original tub is cracked and I’m trying to figure out a replacement. Unfortunately I have to keep my trailer at a storage yard so I don’t really have a good place to work on it. How much drilling and cutting? What kind of fasteners did you use?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Marceline it was sooo easy even I did it. There are 4 screws holding the tub to the frame. remove them and it comes right off. New one attached to the same holes. I did have to buy a longer LP hose but Ace Hardware had them. Like one of my inspirers I cut a piece of plywood to firm up the bottom. The only read issue I have left is how to tie down my LP tank. Jump in, it is easy.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    BTW, I bought the box from Amazon. Try searching for "trailer tongue box".
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • mikencarolmikencarol Member Posts: 8
    BTW, I bought the box from Amazon. Try searching for "trailer tongue box".
    I added almost the same box on the front of my Oliver. It doesn’t weigh much and has held up well. Also from Amazon. Mike

Oliver Legacy Elite II  -  Ram 1500 5.7  -  Boerne, Texas

• hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    This is where we installed the valterra tube. It did require holes to be cut in the checker plate but makes great use of otherwise wasted space. It is also secured to the frame rails (not shown). Very pleased with the results.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Marceline it was sooo easy even I did it. There are 4 screws holding the tub to the frame. remove them and it comes right off. New one attached to the same holes. I did have to buy a longer LP hose but Ace Hardware had them. Like one of my inspirers I cut a piece of plywood to firm up the bottom. The only read issue I have left is how to tie down my LP tank. Jump in, it is easy.
    Thanks for the info. I assume that you had to cut a hole for the propane hose & another for the electrical? Anything else? Just trying to figure out what I would need since my trailer is stored about an hour away from where I live. 
    Can you confirm it’s Jobox 416000 (48” wide) and not the smaller one? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab