Options

how small can tow

jeffvtjeffvt Member Posts: 5
I've got a 2016 Rav4 with a 4 cylinder. Has any one used this set up or similar one. I was planning on owning this vehicle a few more years, and have just decided I need a 320. I just don't know how this small an engine well work out, especially going up mountains. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you want to keep your RAV4, please don't use it for towing. Read your owner's manual. The dry weight of a T@B 320 S is 1760 before adding propane, battery, clothing, food, etc. Your tongue weight will be in excess of 200 lbs with all of the combined items. Your RAV4 owner's manual will have your limits listed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Yes thanks Verna, I now its pushed over the weights. Just don't have experience towing trailers, and wasn't sure if the weight limits could be stretched some. My biggest concern was engine size can't help think it would be staining a lot. I guess I will have to make different plans. Thank you much !
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I personally think it's better to take the opposite approach, instead of stretching your tow limits try giving yourself more margin. Don't need a 2 ton truck to tow a T@b, but how about a V6 that can tow at least 3500lbs.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We've always been in the margin camp but have added some conditions to that. 

We tow with a 2012 RAV4 6 cyl. with tow package.  This includes a transmission cooler which is likely the biggest factor in increasing the vehicle's tow rating to 3500 lbs.  I believe it is limited to 2,000 without the package. There is ample HP and torque so our next vehicle doesn't need a bigger engine.

What we will look for is a stiffer suspension or higher overall tow rating, or an aftermarket rear spring supplement method so the TV remains more level.  While well within specs on hitch weight we are light in the front end of the RAV and often spin the front drive wheels on wet, gravel, or steep surfaces when startiyng out.  I find myself noting this condition when looking at photos here on the forum. Those with the rear kitchen have a real advantage in this area.  

The other thing we are looking for is a bigger gas tank.  With milage between 10 and 13 MPG and a effective tank size between 10 and 12 we have to stop way too soon.  It fascinates us that we get better mileage in Virginia or New York than at home here in Florida.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    Thanks for input sweetlyhome and you to jason330i. I responde to you jason but it didn't post here. So yep I've been searching the net for 6cyl. and looked at highlander with towing package which has about the same specs as that 6cly rav sweetlyhome. I guess there is not much difference between the 2 models  other then one is a little longer. Just going to have to put this plan on hold, pay off my rav and get a bigger engine.The Tab would be great,  guess i am getting old I always tent but the tab would have all I need and small enough for off grid camping and hard sided, since a lot of time is in grizzly country. Just going have to wait a year or so . Thanks again for all the insights and information from you all.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2017
    We use a 4cylinder Tacoma, rated for 3500#. It's slow on a few of the steepest climbs, sometimes down to 45mph in 3rd gear (manual tranny). (Interesting side detail is that the 4cyl has a higher load rating than the 6cyl. Not tow rating, but load rating).

But keep in mind that 'stretching the limits' has just as much to do with handling and stop-ability (if not more!) A small, light weight tow vehicle can be pushed around pretty easily by a ton or more of RV, in an emergency maneuver.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks for the input ChanW,  I'll keep that stuff in mind, 
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    ChanW said:
    We use a 4cylinder Tacoma, rated for 3500#.  (Interesting side detail is that the 4cyl has a higher load rating than the 6cyl. Not tow rating, but load rating).

The 4cyl engine is lighter than the V6, leaving more capacity for cargo.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep.
    That could be the reason my '59 VW Microbus was rated at 1 ton load capacity. A very light engine!
    I never tested that rating - no, on second thought, I just might have tested it, in my blissful early-20s oblivious-ness... (How many bags of cement will fit into a VW Microbus?)
    rkj__ said:
    ChanW said:
    We use a 4cylinder Tacoma, rated for 3500#.  (Interesting side detail is that the 4cyl has a higher load rating than the 6cyl. Not tow rating, but load rating).

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ah the blissful 20's yep. I had a 72 maybe 71 vw bus it was used  a little over 10 years old when I got it.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ChanW :rofl: I naïvely thought I could carry quite a bit of 80# bags of cement in my tiny Mitsubishi truck. Good thing I was only going 3 blocks to my house. I'm surprised my tires weren't slightly rubbing the wheel wells. Of course, it was all loaded improperly!! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    rkj__ said:
    ChanW said:

My Nissan Frontier even has a sticker indicating that load rating is reduced because it has the tow package installed. King cabs also tend to have higher rating that equally equipped crew cabs. I agree it's purely an issue of total vehicle weight.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    gbhaneygbhaney Member Posts: 19
    So, if towing a 320 with your Rav4 4 cyl is a no go and you want to move up from a tent, have you considered a T@G? From all the photos of T@Gs and their small TVs that I've seen since getting my T@B last month, I'd bet your Rav4 could tow it.(My comment is based on photos, not technical knowledge!)
    2021 T@B 400 BD.  Silver with black. TV: 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

• Options
    WeBeTabbinWeBeTabbin Member Posts: 6
    Using a Rav4 for your TV can't possibly be safe (or legal). Better off with too much than not enough when it comes to towing. Please be safe.