Options

Digital Display for Water in Tank

KTOTKTOT Member Posts: 35
I have a 2017 Tab Max S Outback so it has a digital display for battery, water, gray water, black water. I'm noticing the water display bounces around when the camper is not being used, the water has not been touched for hours at least (not filled, no faucets open, etc.), and the camper is sitting level. Specifically, now when I press the water button it shows 94%. But if I press the button several times, it will show 100%. Then go back to 94. The water is not being disturbed so I'd expect the reading to remain constant. Do I have an issue/defect with the sensor that goes in the tank (I assume)? Or some other issue? Or is this normal. A one percent difference I could see, but 6% is pretty significant, I feel.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    KTOT - the sensors are mounted on the outsides of the tanks.  Forum consensus seems to be that they are "off" a bit.  Many of us have noted that the fresh water tank starts to suck air somewhere around the reading of 15-25%.  We have not seen what you describe, but maybe some others can chime in here.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The fresh water tanks are long and very shallow. As a resort it is very difficult to get an accurate reading depending on where the sensors are placed. For the most accurate reading they should be halfway between the front and back. Probably on either right or left side so side to side and front to back level have a lot to do with accuracy. I would not expect them to be very accurate. I have owned many RV over many years and none of these monitors have been very dependable. Our 2015 Sofitel did not come with tank gauges and that is why I have not considered adding them. Just trying to explain what you are dealing with. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ...Our 2015 Sofitel did not come with tank gauges and that is why I have not considered adding them. Just trying to explain what you are dealing with. 
    So how do you know how much water you have left? Especially with the air lock issue around 25% or so (as mentioned above, and as I experienced right off with my T@b) it seems one has to stay aware of how much water is in the tank or encounter various problems.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    KTOT said:
    ...Our 2015 Sofitel did not come with tank gauges and that is why I have not considered adding them. Just trying to explain what you are dealing with. 
    So how do you know how much water you have left? Especially with the air lock issue around 25% or so (as mentioned above, and as I experienced right off with my T@b) it seems one has to stay aware of how much water is in the tank or encounter various problems.
    In my opinion the monitors in the fresh and gray water tanks can not be very accurate because of the shape of the tanks. The black tank should be better because it is deeper so the sensor can be spaced farther apart. Here again this is my opinion.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    KTOT said:
    In my opinion the monitors in the fresh and gray water tanks can not be very accurate because of the shape of the tanks. The black tank should be better because it is deeper so the sensor can be spaced farther apart. Here again this is my opinion.
    Dalehelman, I am speaking ONLY about the fresh water tank--neither the gray nor black concern me. And again, my question to you was how do you figure out how much fresh water you have left without any sort of monitoring for it? Or do you just wait until it empties or you get airlock?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    We trend the monitor results.  As we approach 25% on the fresh water tank, we make sure we have a jug of water available.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio