Options

WalMart.....Is it always like this?

PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
On a recent trip we stayed at a Walmart because we got into to town pretty late. Based on our experience I can't understand why anyone would ever stay at a Walmart a second time. Listening to the big rigs idling wasn't too bad. Kinda like having a fan running as they helped drown out a lot of the traffic noises. The irritating part was people driving by all night and honking their horns or revving their engines. We were parked with the rest of the trailers well away from any of the entry/exit points so they had to go out of their way to do it. Is this what people normally experience or were we just "lucky"? 
Patrick

Comments

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Sounds like you were just "lucky"-- we've stopped a few times at Wal-Marts, but never had those issues. Something to do with the local culture?
  • Options
    DaisyMDaisyM Member Posts: 11
    We've overnighted at Walmarts many times, usually without the noise you encountered.  The stores that are a block or more off the highway tend to be more peaceful.  Also, there are some that don't permit big rigs.  The Allstays app helps you locate Walmarts and includes useful comments about the experiences of other campers.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I scope out my Walmarts in advance a couple of tips:

1) Use Google Earth to make sure it's a good area
    2) Review the store on Yelp. The lower the score, the more likely you are to have issues
    3.) If it doesn't quiet down by 10:00, it will probably continue to be noisy and it might be worthwhile to move on down the road to the next one.

I have always had good luck with Walmarts. the other thing that can happen, no matter where you stay, is the street sweeping machine going through the parking lots in the middle of the night. :) I have only had that happen 1x.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BillReddingBillRedding Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2017
    It may be the part of town you're in (a so-called "low-rent" or "local color" district)? For one example, there's a particular Walmart in Colorado Springs that NO WAY I'd want to spend a night at. Even armed (not because I'd be afraid, but because of all the "paperwork" necessary and "explaining" if I had to USE it)! ;-)

And that's not even mentioning all the noise (or sketchy nut-case people/transients) in the always-trashed-out parking lot during the day AND probably more so after the store closed (don't know if its a 24-hour store or not). And all that happening right where one's RV is parked for the night!

Well, maybe it WOULD be okay after all: The few times I went there I saw 2-3 cop cars in the parking lot EVERY time. Going into the store and seeing the typical "patrons," the cop cars (and in-store ARMED security) made sense. Probably the worst Walmart (with high shop-lifting stats) in The Springs. But I'm sure the cop cars don't STAY there very long, as they have OTHER places to go & OTHER people to meet! ;-)

So THAT particular Walmart would be off my "Places to Overnight" list (even if FREE,  but only locals would KNOW that) -- most OTHER Walmarts would be fine. Even the others in Colorado Springs!  And some there would be especially nice -- great Front Range & Pike's Peak views, too!

Happy Travels otherwise,

-- BR
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    Guess it depends on the place.  We stopped once and got stuck with a drunk that had to tell everyone within shouting distance just how important he was.  We finally left at 3AM.  
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Personally, I'd have to be REALLY desperate to even CONSIDER a Walmart parking lot for any length of time. I prefer to plan my trips so we don't have to endure that type of situation under any circumstances. But, that's just me. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Next month we are traveling between Reno and Boise and worried we may end up with that situation.  May not have a choice... Not a lot out there. :s
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Personally, I'd have to be REALLY desperate to even CONSIDER a Walmart parking lot for any length of time. I prefer to plan my trips so we don't have to endure that type of situation under any circumstances. But, that's just me. :)

When  you are doing nothing but pulling in, grabbing a couple of items and going to bed, and leaving the first thing in the AM it is much easier than dealing with checking into a campground.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Ditto, jkjenn. We've also had pretty good luck --and this while "on the road" to a destination, mind you-- at Cracker Barrel restaurants. Excellent breakfast the next morning, too! (Not to mention real toilets....)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2017
    When I am doing long distance, cross country trips I have stayed in an occasional Walmart that provided a quick and convenient place to bed down when campgrounds were not available in remote areas.  

It's like anything else and as noted earlier in this thread, you DO on occasion run into a very busy and wild Walmart and it is best to check out the facility in advance if possible or drive in and peruse the area to see if it appears to be safe and as a desirable place to bed down.  I drove into Chattanooga one evening and left the place because it was a busy and bustling hub and far too noisy for my liking.  However the further down the road I drove I did find a suitable spot and caught a good night's rest prior to departing the next morning.  

It's certainly not for everyone!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    It may be the part of town you're in (a so-called "low-rent" or "local color" district)? For one example, there's a particular Walmart in Colorado Springs that NO WAY I'd want to spend a night at. Even armed (not because I'd be afraid, but because of all the "paperwork" necessary and "explaining" if I had to USE it)! ;-)

And that's not even mentioning all the noise (or sketchy nut-case people/transients) in the always-trashed-out parking lot during the day AND probably more so after the store closed (don't know if its a 24-hour store or not). And all that happening right where one's RV is parked for the night!

Well, maybe it WOULD be okay after all: The few times I went there I saw 2-3 cop cars in the parking lot EVERY time. Going into the store and seeing the typical "patrons," the cop cars (and in-store ARMED security) made sense. Probably the worst Walmart (with high shop-lifting stats) in The Springs. But I'm sure the cop cars don't STAY there very long, as they have OTHER places to go & OTHER people to meet! ;-)

So THAT particular Walmart would be off my "Places to Overnight" list (even if FREE,  but only locals would KNOW that) -- most OTHER Walmarts would be fine. Even the others in Colorado Springs!  And some there would be especially nice -- great Front Range & Pike's Peak views, too!

Happy Travels otherwise,

-- BR

I think I know the one to which you are referring, Bill, but like you said if someone is not local, they may not know that.  I agree with Jenn's recommendation to review the Walmart locations as well as you can before stopping there...and leave if it looks jenky or is filled with cop cars...cuz they will leave, but the riff-raff doesn't...
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Although I haven't traveled really long stretches, I do just overnight quite often, (I usually get a few hours driving in after work), but have never felt the need to NOT plan a stop, reserve a campground, and get there. To me it's not a big hassle to check in because I usually arrive after hours. Stop and get my little sheet off the clipboard, drive to my pullthrough site, plug in, sit outside for a few with a glass of wine, and go to bed. I just absolutely don't feel the need to overnight in a parking lot

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Although I haven't traveled really long stretches, I do just overnight quite often, (I usually get a few hours driving in after work), but have never felt the need to NOT plan a stop, reserve a campground, and get there. To me it's not a big hassle to check in because I usually arrive after hours. Stop and get my little sheet off the clipboard, drive to my pullthrough site, plug in, sit outside for a few with a glass of wine, and go to bed. I just absolutely don't feel the need to overnight in a parking lot

You have been very fortunate! I have not always found arriving after hours so easy. Sometimes the CG maps can be confusing, and finding your site in the dark can take some time, after you have driven the 15-30 min from the interstate to find the CG. I have also struggled to find the information that the CG has left for me. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I never use a a CG for overnight parking, it's just that I find it hard to justify $50 for parking and quite often there are no CGs within a reasonable drive from the interstate. There are big stretches of both I80 and I70 in the mid-section of the country where it just doesn't work to find a CG.

• Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    I just got home today from a 7,025 mile trip as a solo traveler. I stayed in Walmart lots quite a few times. Here are some tips I use: I try and arrive after 6:00 and look to see if any other RVs or semis are there. If so, I pull into the "herd". It doesn't take long to get used to the sounds of the trucks and then you are part of a "community". I have one patch in New Jersey when I was driving over to uCamp where I went to 3 different Walmarts before I felt safe. That is unusual. I use Allstays Walmart ONP app and RV Parky and look for recent reviews. If there aren't reviews, I call the store to see what kind of reception I get when asking to park. In Nova Scotia and the US, I've had good experiences in Walmart lots. I also keep my car keys next to me when I sleep so I can set off my car alarm if I need to. Use your instincts. But this is a great solution when you just repositioning and not camping. 
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    BillReddingBillRedding Member Posts: 26
    Well, this Whitehorse (Yukon) Walmart seem to be a "welcoming" place...looks like a used RV sales lot! ;-)

https://youtu.be/mDPjpHKUxUo

https://youtu.be/ycQXVqI9N3M

It may be the most RV-populated Walmart in North America?

-- BR

• Options
    I use Allstays Walmart ONP app and RV Parky and look for recent reviews. If there aren't reviews, I call the store to see what kind of reception I get when asking to park. In Nova Scotia and the US, 
    Yes, RV Parky is a good place as is the Yahoo Walmart Group. One note of caution, sometimes RV Parky says overnight is not allowed but when I have called both Walmart locations and Camping World I was advised it was allowed. Always good to find recent user experiences.

• Options
    PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for all the input. 
    Patrick