Options

Towing with a T@B vs a pop up

rch2908rch2908 Member Posts: 5
I've been searching for a while for a T@B(a used one) I finally found one I liked at a price I considered fair. My problem is I've never towed anything that obstructed by view of the rear view mirror. I have no problem towing the pop up at all because I can see all around me. Love the idea of a T@B with the easier set up but very apprehensive about towing while I can't see all around. I'm supposed to pick the T@B up on Thursday 8/3/17. Has anyone else felt this way before getting their T@B? Will be towing with a 12 Dodge Ram 1500.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited July 2017
    We tow with a Toyota Sienna minivan.  We just use our side mirrors and feel very comfortable towing as first timers.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ReptardReptard Member Posts: 4
    I towed with a T@g for 5 days. I couldn't see over the top and the width almost exactly matched my Tacoma. The first few miles I was nervous but I quickly let go of using the rear view mirror. In fact, when I did check it, I often found myself surprised to see it behind me. All you really need is your side mirrors, and some advanced warning to other drivers with your blinker. You'll get used to it real quick and have no issues changing lanes. I should also mention this was first time actually towing anything. I'm an expert by no means but I was very comfortable. 

My next purchase will be a T@b and I'm not worried about towing AT all. Your truck will be even better since the Rams are so much taller. If you found a great deal, don't pass it up! 

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We were new to towing too, so purchased these and were happy to have them in city driving. I know many don't feel the need, but they did give me confidence. 

Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3 Towing Mirror - Twin pack

John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    We owned two popups before buying the T@B. The T@B is a tad narrower than either of the popups so seeing around it is actually better. I couldn't see over with of my popups when towing so that is not a factor. We have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and the stock mirrors allow us to see very well. With the popups, we used mirror extenders.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I've never towed before this spring. The T@b is maybe 1 to 2 inches wider each side than the Highlander so my side mirrors do a great job. While I can't see over it I can see fully around it, and somewhat behind it if I turn a bit in my lane so I can see who's behind me. Sounds like with your TV you will be fine!  I can't even imagine towing a huge 5th wheel or something! I love towing my T@b!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    We have never towed anything and can't see around it... Got mirror extenders and are feeling a little more comfortable.  The real test will be the 2,000 mile trip we are going on that we can't avoid a few highly traveled interstate miles.  Hope we are comfortable by the end of the trip!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I've had numerous loads in the back of my pickup that obstructed my rear view, but I was still a little nervous towing the T@b for the first time. However, that nervousness was quickly overcome. 

If it really bothers you, there are camera systems available to allow you to see behind your trailer when towing.   Some of them even have the display screen mountable to the rear view mirror.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2017
    Yes, mirror extensions are great... I've driven ours without, and feel a bit more comfortable with the ability to see behind the Tab using them.
    We adjust the extended mirrors to be primarily focused behind the Tab, and then keep the normal side mirrors focused more on the blind spot.
    Highly recommend those Dometic ones. They're simple to attach, little vibration, and nice quality. (Note there are two companies that 'brand' these mirrors, and the Dometic brand is much less expensive for the same mirrors)
    Twojgrams said:
    We were new to towing too, so purchased these and were happy to have them in city driving. I know many don't feel the need, but they did give me confidence. 

Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3 Towing Mirror - Twin pack

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jimdermodycdnjimdermodycdn Member Posts: 15
    You will learn to spend a bit more time in your mirrors. Make deliberate and considered moves. Sudden moves are your enemy. Communicate with your indicators. In other words "no worries just new things to learn". just remember....scan, scan, scan. Buy the T@B and have fun.
    Cheers
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited July 2017
    Like others have said, you'll have little to no difficulty seeing around the sides with a full size tow vehicle.

One aspect you'll also find, is even though the T@B is lighter than most popup campers, your fuel mileage will be worse due to the height of the T@B, especially at higher speeds (over 55-60).  This will vary of course with every tow vehicle, and a popup is no substitute for a T@B! B)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I installed a wireless rear view camera onto the T@B.  I mount the monitor just under the rear view mirror, so the 'rear view' is exactly where I'm accustomed to it being.  It works great and makes it much easier to maneuver safely in high traffic situations.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    edited July 2017
    The only time on this last trip from San Diego to Washington traveling on the I-5 I had any trouble was with tailgaters. Impossible to see them when they are tailgating. There was one time that a motor cycle caused me to fishtail the T@b. He pulled up behind me in the fast lane as I was passing a truck in the middle lane that was passing a truck in the slow lane. I left my "left blinker on too long" @Sandiegogal  said turn off your blinker" just as I got to top of the hill and past the truck in the middle lane. So I put on my "right blinker' and started to move to the right Just as the motor cycle I only saw for a second in my rear view mirror took off around me. This was startling to say the least, as he was moving fast and I had to react fast, but not too fast. We were now descending and I hit the breaks pulled back into the lane which sent the T@b swishing back and forth. I thought pretty quickly that hitting the breaks was probably the wrong thing to do. But, I just held my own and eased off the breaks a little but continued to apply constant pressure and let it slowly calm down. I could tell pretty quick that it wasn't getting worse and it was coming into control. But I had to fight the urge to take my eyes off the road and look to see what the trailer was doing. Basically at that point I was driving by braille. It all happened in a split second and we pulled over at the next rest stop and wondered if one of the truckers would be walking up to me to say hey nice recovery back there. Or more likely, what were you thinking? Who knows, but my angels were working overtime flying around holding the T@b in place. Not sure if you want to hear stories like that @rch2908but we have all had them at one time or another.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, Absolutely agree with I-5 traffic, especially around the Salem/Portland area. Tailgaters, and folks that just plain "cut you off" :o:s seem to all congregate in that area. I cringe every time I have to drive through there! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    dsatwork said:
    The only time on this last trip from San Diego to Washington traveling on the I-5 I had any trouble was with tailgaters. Impossible to see them when they are tailgating. There was one time that a motor cycle caused me to fishtail the T@b. He pulled up behind me in the fast lane as I was passing a truck in the middle lane that was passing a truck in the slow lane. I left my "left blinker on too long" @Sandiegogal  said turn off your blinker" just as I got to top of the hill and past the truck in the middle lane. So I put on my "right blinker' and started to move to the right Just as the motor cycle I only saw for a second in my rear view mirror took off around me. This was startling to say the least, as he was moving fast and I had to react fast, but not too fast. We were now descending and I hit the breaks pulled back into the lane which sent the T@b swishing back and forth. I thought pretty quickly that hitting the breaks was probably the wrong thing to do. But, I just held my own and eased off the breaks a little but continued to apply constant pressure and let it slowly calm down. I could tell pretty quick that it wasn't getting worse and it was coming into control. But I had to fight the urge to take my eyes off the road and look to see what the trailer was doing. Basically at that point I was driving by braille. It all happened in a split second and we pulled over at the next rest stop and wondered if one of the truckers would be walking up to me to say hey nice recovery back there. Or more likely, what were you thinking? Who knows, but my angels were working overtime flying around holding the T@b in place. Not sure if you want to hear stories like that @rch2908but we have all had them at one time or another.
    a good reminder that even small trailers like the T@b can sway.  glad it came out ok. how fast do you think you were going when the sway started?

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @jason330i not sure but it couldn't have been over 60, I was climbing a hill.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    rch2908rch2908 Member Posts: 5
    Picked up my 2008 T@B CS today, no worries just used my side mirrors a lot and got used it pretty quickly.  150 miles in the rain which wasn't fun, but got home safely which is all that matters. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Piece of cake.  It gets easier with experience.  Enjoy!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio