Options

Advice for parking pad construction

AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
edited August 2017 in Tips & Tricks
We need to build a parking pad for our t@b 400 and don't want to pave with either asphalt or concrete (cost, poor access for material delivery, etc.) Considering gravel, or pervious pavers over gravel. Our soils are sandy. Any advice on materials and construction techniques? Depth of gravel? Type of gravel? 

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    It depends on a lot of factors, but typically the original soil is removed and replaced with a medium aggregate gravel. A good earthwork contractor should be able to offer specifics for your situation.

Is the sandy soil so soft that you sink if you just park on the existing surface?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Remember to lay down a moisture barrier if using a pourous product to help eliminate any chassis corrosion.
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I would go with 2" concrete patio tiles.  Water will run between joint, easy to build and the trailer is so light that they will never crack.  Theay are only couple of dollar a piece and simple to lay over leveled sand.  Could use a dynamic compactor from a rental shop to be on the safe side.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    WanderinginWonderWanderinginWonder Member Posts: 47
    @AMac since I now know your local to us, you could talk to Bianchi Brickyard on Hwy 87 here in Southport. They could give you a couple of cost effective options including what I did last year for another project which was the slate pebble rock. Holds up wonderfully to weight and drains great!
    2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • Options
    AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    @AMac since I now know your local to us, you could talk to Bianchi Brickyard on Hwy 87 here in Southport. They could give you a couple of cost effective options including what I did last year for another project which was the slate pebble rock. Holds up wonderfully to weight and drains great!
    We ended up having turfstone pavers installed yesterday. Once we get everything cleaned up, I'll post pics. Hoping it works!