Options

Front mount bike rack?

Have any of you ever tried a front-mount hitch receiver?  I've seen them with carrying trays for coolers and generators, and I've seen pictures of hitch mount bike racks. Like this:

2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
Camping under the Big Sky

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    That'd be a safe way to do it and efficient but would muck up the front of my 16 Silverado.  I'm happy with my Arvika bike rack and it seconds as a water fill rest for the trailer.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    We love our bike rack (see our previous post)... It is like Mike's.  Good luck figuring out what will work best for you.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    That'd be a safe way to do it and efficient but would muck up the front of my 16 Silverado.  I'm happy with my Arvika bike rack and it seconds as a water fill rest for the trailer.

With the snow still on the ground and the camper in storage, there is time to cast my eyes on improvements.  I have a Ram pickup and saw some racks that would fit on the bed without getting in the way of the cover.  Most ran 500 and up.  Then I saw your post here.  This would be perfect for our two bikes.  My first thought was that it would perhaps sway back into the camper, but I watched some assembly videos and there is a support you can get to firm this up, supposedly for 3 bikes but would be great for two.  It looks like you just tied it off however.  I have the diamond plate storage cover, but don't see that getting in the way.  Looks like you have one there?  Also, I have my spare mounted on a post on the left front side but again, perhaps no problem.  So, where did you order yours from and is the there a specific model number?  I'd appreciate any help in this direction..  Wow, this looks like the ticket for us.. and our two bikes....  Now, someday will want to transport our tandem... grin..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Just for interest sake, this is what I had considered..

as you can see, the racks slide forward when not in use.  I'd probably mount my two Thule bike mounts I still have from when I used the car...

But, then I would certainly run into height problems etc.  More complication..
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182

I made this bike rack to go on the tongue of our T@B  and it works great but when we're not towing and just out for a bike ride I put it inside the truck box of my Chevy pickup right under the cap.  It's so stable, I don't even have to tie it down.  Just remove the mounting bolts for the trailer tongue installation.  The most expensive thing you'll have to buy is the bike fork mounts that can be had at etrailer for about $18 bucks each.
          I also made a wider version of this that holds both bikes in the forward position for just the truck box but the down side is it takes up more room.

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    Nice mount.  Great to see other ideas.  I have the diamond plate add on for the fork, plus a small carrier for my set up items.  So that might not work for me.  Last summer I built a double rack for in the bed, but it under performed.  The one Mike is showing looks versatile for my needs.  Over the years we’ve had a number of racks.  I have two truck hitch racks, one for two bikes and one for a tandem.  I have a nice Thule roof rack, that if I sell, I’ll be able to finance this new one.  My wife is shopping for new material for blankets...  I asked, didn’t you make some last summer?  I almost got voted off the island for that one...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TerryV6, Hmmmm, seems to me you kinda have this out voted thing down, huh? Just keep repeating these words: "Happy wife, happy life, happy wife, happy life". Continue repeating until the dog house syndrome goes away!  ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147

Newell, mine very similar to yours, though I used aluminum...not too much more expensive, and still cuts with a carbide tip saw blade.  Advantage...weather, after sitting outside all winter, has not bothered it.   

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Here's a thread I did a bit ago about front (box mount) bike racks.  The important thing to remember when doing this is the side stress on the box lid or mount.  I've done two of these now and the cheesy side-load eliminator I've been using has made hauling the bike a no-headache affair.  Also low-buck...

http://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/73/bike-rack#latest

I also did a write-up on this bike mount procedure in the LG forum.

http://golittleguy.com/forum/#/discussion/5186/heading-out-to-utah-for-a-winter-trip

In the LG thread, I'm using two different bike mounts.

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    William, I too had to strenghten/secure lid with a rubber t-handle latch to each side.  Bikes are secure with just fork mount and rear tire tied down.  
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    I can see the inexpensive easy solution of mounting a rack right to the box.  Your box is diamond plate though and will give you a lot more strength.  I have the stock version and the plastic wouldn't do that for me. 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited March 2018
    WELL, we looked at a number of them.  I liked the one that Mandy Lee has, but it goes down as a single pole right thru the middle of the angle, and I have a compartment installed.  I like that and it is staying.  I looked at the bike bunk ( think that was the name), and the brackets had a problem with the battery tub.  I checked out the Arvika and liked it.  It’s made in Canada and the shipping is $102 Canadian.  In fact, with the exchange rate you can probably subtract 25%.  But, there is no return possibility.  Finally looked at the one in the teardrop shop and the Person on the phone said it “was” an arvika.  But the mounting plate looks different.  We just have to decide if the mounting plate will interfere much with the gray water drain.  It’s funny how the length of the frame was bigger in my memory.  We went out to take measurements, and was surprised on how it had gotten smaller...

You can see the bracket in the second picture...

Oh, and they take returns...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited March 2018
    WARNING: shameless hijack pending--not like anyone has actually responded to the OP's specific question anyway...  ;-)

What's the story with the "Magic Hat" edition T@B in the background???

2015 T@B S

• Options
    HiJack excuse...  Making whining noise..  I didn't do it. 

Michigan Mike started it by posting his Arvika pic and recommendation... That's how those things get started.  In fact I try not to start new threads, but follow those already started.  My comments however don't have anything to do with a front mounted carrier, so perhaps I would get more response if I had..

Anyway, I got the pictures from the Teardrop shop.  They told me they would check for clearance and I might contact Arvika too.  I'm worried though, I don't speak Canadian...  ( Just a joke btw, for those whose who live there)
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited March 2018
    @TerryV6....Ehh? :rofl: Good thing I have friends from the Great White North that have an awesome sense of humor!!! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    No worries @TerryV6-- I was referring to my own hijack of the thread!

I really wanted to know about the "Beer T@B" in the photo! Does the fridge come fully stocked?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Neat photo for sure...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    edited March 2018
    @terryv6 check out this post for our solution that we simply copied from @jason330i
    Bike Rack
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    2Cougs, we had narrowed it down to 3.  1. The Arvika.  2. The Teardrop shop model and 3. the one you are mentioning.  Personally, I'd be all for the one you have.  It is a bit cheaper and still has the features we want.  However, as we progress down the T@B mod road, I find we make choices that affect other items and thus narrow the field for things.  We added the diamondplate addon that was offered by a group member here that adds storage for stuff right in the Angle of the aframe ...  It has worked well for us for hose storage etc.  and locks.  So, by having that, it narrows down the field.  The bracket on the bike bunk would not work for me then.  Sadly, I went to the other two options.  I then found out that they are both the same model, or so I've been told.  They look the same.  The Arvika company sells theirs thru the Racksforcars site and doesn't offer a return.  Also, while they have free shipping, I'd have to live in Canada to take advantage of that.  I don't want to make a drive to the border to take advantage of that.. grin..  The Teardrop model is about the same price (if you figure in the exchange rate for the Arvika one) and Teardrop gave us a signup coupon.  I'm thinking we will pull the trigger this Thursday.  My wife is excited because I mentioned that we could go out to the storage and clean out T@bby etc.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    edited March 2018
    @TerryV6, are you only looking for something that attaches to the trailer? Someone (either Forums or Facebook group) had this rack that I thought looked promising and easy that attaches to hitch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6JMM/?coliid=I3ECJ3O4BXB3PZ&colid=J5OBWTJ1JL4E&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    edited March 2018
    I saw this model and it looks intriguing! I want to make sure whatever I get, that I don't hurt myself using it!    https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HRSR2.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwnLjVBRAdEiwAKSGPIzWvfOFJIaJSVdf5h3FaQipzVsQQ0cAQruRucHwG8JIX4Bt71V7BIhoCoMAQAvD_BwE
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited February 2023
    Have any of you ever tried a front-mount hitch receiver?  ... 
    Old thread, but looked like a good place to drop this.

None of the other great ways for carrying bikes that members have posted would work for us so we went with the front mount. Turn signals were blocked so I added motorcycle lights to the fenders. Unfortunately, New Jersey is one of the states that requires a front license plate. The plan is to get a third plate from motor vehicle and mount it to the rack.

Just hoping that the lights don't get torn off by brush while off road. =)

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319

I added one to my 2017 Ridgeline and made it removable as I don’t often use it. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    @rcuomo That looks like the same bike rack that I have. I did a couple of mods to get the bikes a little lower to increase visibility. First was to flip over the wheel brackets. The other was to weld a drop hitch to the hitch mount. This might not work with your tow vehicle, but something to consider if you feel your sight line is bad.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    AnOldUR said:
    @rcuomo That looks like the same bike rack that I have. I did a couple of mods to get the bikes a little lower to increase visibility. First was to flip over the wheel brackets. The other was to weld a drop hitch to the hitch mount. This might not work with your tow vehicle, but something to consider if you feel your sight line is bad.

Actually my LOS is pretty good.  I don’t really want to lower it much more than stock as it is pretty close to the ground now. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    Bill_FBill_F Member Posts: 40
    Trailer tongue was modified to telescope out when e-bike rack is in use.  Slides back in to original length and is secured by a pin when not in use.  There's also a motorcycle rack attachment used for this trailer in place of the bike rack, also held in place by a heavy pin.