Options

2015 Sofitel CS-S. Axle problem

Leeh22Leeh22 Member Posts: 30
I know there was a discussion about this a year ago, but just wondering if there others out there who have now had a problem.  We noticed significant wear on one wheel of our Sofitel a few weeks ago.   After sending photos to NuCamp they agree its highly likely a bent axle.  The axle company is sending a replacement axle but claims it isn't a warranty issue, they are calling it a customer "concession".   So they are providing axle at no cost but no one paying for replacement installation or new tires.  We had about 6000 miles on our trailer.   We have never been "off road", drive carefully and keep it in the garage when we aren't camping so it has been gently used.  Also noticed in all of this that one of our tires was 2009 and one 2010.   Really, on a trailer we purchased in 2015.   Keep asking when the axle will be delivered but not getting information we need.  Plans for August on hold.  By the way we are replacing tires with Goodyear Endurance, thanks to the forum and Facebook for recommendations.

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @Leeh22 Sorry this had happened to you, unfortunately it is out of warranty, so really it is a customer concession that they have made.  Are you doing the replacement through your dealer?  They are going to be the best ones to reach out to regarding any information, as there is no one officially with nüCamp here that can answer those questions.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited August 2017
    It may be that the axel is not the problem.  Our original tires started to go after about 3000 miles. By go I mean very uneven wear. Replaced them and after over 10,000 miles they show almost know wear. We also have a 2015. I would just watch the tires closely and see how they ware.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Leeh22Leeh22 Member Posts: 30
    NuCamp has been great in helping us with this. No complaints there.   
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Dalehelman's post caused me to think an alignment check of wheels/axle is called for.  A tire shop with alignment equipment could check this after receiving information from axle manufacturer re toe in and camber specifications, and information on how to check that axle is installed correctly (both sides equal distance from end of frame rails, etc.).  I am surprised axle manufacturer agreed to new axle before this was done, and though there may be no adjustment Dale's post suggests tires alone could be causing problem (underinflation of one, brake drag on one side, other issues???). 
    Either way checking this, and learning wheels aligned appropriately, may save cost of installation of new axle which may be substantial.  If not aligned something happened to bend it or something went wrong during manufacturing process or installation on trailer frame...and you do need that new axle.
    Good luck.
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I have had tire problems on 2 different trailers. Both showed severe tire wear. In both cases I suspected axel misalignment. Both times I replaced the poor quality factory tires. In both cases I had no further tire wear issues after several thousand miles. I also made sure I balanced the new tires. The tires on our trailers are most likely supplied by the trailer chassis manufacturer not by NU Camp.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The wheels on the camper axle cannot be aligned like a vehicles. They can be balanced and that's about it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Vikings, Kim, I've also wondered about the way the trailers are lashed down during shipping as a possibility of the misalignment of the axle(s) as well.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf