Options

Over the door visor

Ipsar0Ipsar0 Member Posts: 31
Does anyone have a simple and INEXPENSIVE way of mounting a visor or something over the door. Just something simple to block the rain while you sit there taking your shoes off.  I don't need anything elaborate.  I already have a shade tent that goes over the back to cover the cooking area when deployed..  I've seen some of the ones that are sold but they are way to expensive for what I need. Thanks in advance and Happy Camping

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    The cheapest solution would involve using a tarp I think.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You could get a tarp and sew a piece of order to it. I think you could also probably buy an awning meant to go on an SUV roof rack and mount it to the side.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I guess a piece of tarp and some duct tape along with a couple tent poles would do it also.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2017

If you don't mind the weight and storage size, how about a half round patio umbrella with base? ($50-$70) 
    Would need to be tall enough to clear top of door. 8' or 9' model?
    For extra stability the pole could be bungeed or strapped to the step assist handle to left of T@B door.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @TabberJohn, I was thinking about the half umbrellas too, but couldn't figure out how to offset the pole.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2018
    I wish someone made something simple that was dome-shaped to protect the door entry only. 
    As @lpsar0 posted, just enough to stand under, shake off the rain, and remove your shoes before entering. 
    For now this Versa-brella XL will make-do. 

You have to clip the umbrella struts to the keder rail on either side to keep it steady.
    I'd also consider a full sized handle-to-handle visor/awning if someone made one that was dome-shaped under tension, not a flapping duck bill. :s

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    I ended up with a much simpler idea. There was this umbrella with stand that I never used with the outdoor furniture we bought. This works out perfect and it takes less than five minutes to set up.