Options

Stabilizers?

atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
edited September 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
I know that we should ask our dealer for information rather than bother Nu Camp.  I fully realize their work load is ever growing.  It would how ever be nice if we had a tech question that was not in need of immediate attention, to be able to send an email for a response.  So often if you ask a dealer their response is, they will call NU Camp and them it gets lost and you get no reply.  Sometimes the less people involved the easier it is to get the info you need.  Also since NU Camp is the manufacture and they designed the product, they have a better understanding of the issue.  Thanks for the consideration.
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    That is what they designed this forum for, to answer questions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Ok so is the 400 frame ok to support the use of scissor jacks as levelers in place of the stabalizers that are normally installed.  Will the lift twist or warp the frame?  Thanks!
  • Options
    I've sent the question to the email address of warranty@nucamprv.com and I will report back when I receive an answer.

If Michigan_Mike and I are not available, you can always email to this address during your one year warranty. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks Verna,  I realize the forum abounds in great information and over the years I have found it very useful.  Very much appreciated.  At times it would be nice to go directly via a message without tying up some one at the plant for a non urgent question.  Awaiting the response from NU Camp.  Thanks again, we appreciate all that you and Mike do.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    It would be nice to be assured of an authoritative answer for some things. Like safety related questions.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    Ah come on, Photomom--everything I say, I say with the utmost authority!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @atlasb, here is nüCamp's answer:

"The frame will support the scissor Jacks if they can be properly attached to the frame somewhere, we have no suggestions on where to install it, as we have not been able to find a place to properly install it ourselves."

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer Verna.  Wonder what they mean by properly install.  they bolt on.  If the frame will support the jack wonder why it can't go where the stabalizers mount, possibly with an adapter plate.  Think when Dale mounted his on his 320 he fabricated a mounting plate.  
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    edited August 2017
    On the T@B 320, the rear stabilizers do not bolt to the main frame itself (as indicated in the stabilizer mounting instructions), but rather to smaller steel extensions that stick out from the back of the frame. That was the concern I expressed in the lengthy thread discussing the scissors jack modification.

I don't know how the T@B 400 is configured, but nüCamp's response sure sounds like it's something similar.

Our camping buddies have an r-Pod with scissors jacks properly attached directly under the frame. I asked them why they still futz around driving up on 2x6s and they claimed their manual said not to use the jacks for lifting purposes as it could result in frame damage.

That said, it seems several people have done the mod on their 320s and nobody's mentioned damaging their frame. It probably works just fine, but I don't blame nüCamp for refusing to make a definite endorsement of the practice.
    2015 T@B S