Factory installed trailer brakes??

BrettMBrettM Member Posts: 7
After an extensive search on the forum I couldn't find a definitive answer regarding the factory installed trailer brake controller on my TV (Chev Colorado). I am a novice in this regard but assuming that all the wiring has been done correctly, should the T@B brakes automatically connect to my TV controller?

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited August 2017
    If you actually have a controller (as opposed to just a pre-wired harness to attach a controller), then presumably yes. It shouldn't work any differently than any controller you would buy and mount yourself. You will likely still need to adjust it for your trailer, however.  

Consider yourself a step ahead in the game!
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Michigan_Mike has a late model Silverado with the built-in brake controller. I know he posted comments about it on the forum. Try doing a search of Silverado, and if not that, try intermittent.  I know Mike is busy today but he may get on here later or maybe tomorrow
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    BrettM said:
    After an extensive search on the forum I couldn't find a definitive answer regarding the factory installed trailer brake controller on my TV (Chev Colorado). I am a novice in this regard but assuming that all the wiring has been done correctly, should the T@B brakes automatically connect to my TV controller?

Yes, there is no paring necessary or anything like that as you do with the wireless Tekonsha Prodigy controller and yourT@B should work fine other than as Scott noted, some slight tweaking/adjustment with your settings as needed.  I basically just plugged my trailer harness into my 2016 Silverado, hit the button on the end of my turn signal stick (mine lights up a trailer icon on my dashboard) to allow the transmission to sync and adjust/shift accordingly with the addded trailer load and I was good to go.  

Read your owners manual as there should be plenty of good information and instructions there to allow you to adjust and sync your trailer brakes with the. Shucks controller.  Mine works like a champ!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • BrettMBrettM Member Posts: 7
    Thank you all very much.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hi @BrettM, I have the 2015 GMC Canyon. Wow, have they made a lot of improvements!! I'm going to try not to be jealous :) . I don't want to put you out, but could you show what the built in controller looks like when you are hooked up? Does it give you codes or options for gross or fine adjustment?

Don't get me started on Mike's Silverado... it's a magnificent machine :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • BrettMBrettM Member Posts: 7
    I am still waiting to take delivery of my T@B but as soon as I do I will post the pics and procedure I take.