Options

RV Park "Home Driveway"

DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
edited August 2017 in Camping & Travel
I have enjoyed this Forum since we bought our new Tab S in Aug 2015. Invaluable for learning, sharing, and meeting people.

After a night in our trailer in the driveway and reading about others who do a test night before heading out on the road for the first time, I thought it might make for an interesting thread. How many of you have slept in your trailer in your very own RV park, "Home Driveway."  Put me down for 2 nights this summer, so far. :) 

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    My wife and I have done it many times!  Like many others the first time was to test all of the systems before heading out into the woods (we boondock 99% of the time).  The others have been to scratch that camping itch when we couldn't quite get away. :)

Oh yeah... and one other time was to test new dual 6V battery capacity with no hookups, generator, or solar.  Needed to see how long we could camp before needing to recharge.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    At least once a year to check everything before heading out for an adventure. Usually very early spring. Much like @ColoradoJon, most of our adventures are without hook-ups, so making sure everything works prior to leaving is good insurance. Ours is usually parked in the driveway plugged in for the remainder of the summer to early fall, and makes for a good "spare room" for visiting kids & grandkids. Gives them their own space, and they seem to really enjoy the home "RV Park".
    @Dereco, Good idea on this posting. Looking forward to hearing what other folks do as well! Thanks. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    We jumped in with both feet, and drove three hours away for our first night in the T@b.

That said, we have camped in a driveway, just not ours.  We were visiting family, and all the bedrooms were taken, so we brought our own bedroom. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @rkj__, Home away from home!! We do the same thing when we visit my oldest son in Graham, Wa.! All the bedrooms, including the apartment off his shop are usually taken, so we bring our own. Plus side is that he has an acre of property, water, electric, and an RV dump station, so it's like camping! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    We "camp" in the back yard whenever our schedules permit. That means when I am off on a Friday night. We have our routine...movie night. The funnest times were when we first got the camper back in February, and the temps got down to the low 30's at night.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    I camped in my driveway for the first time a few weeks ago.  I had more guests than bedrooms so I stayed in the T@B.  Had lots of volunteers to stay out there but I wasn't about to give up a perfectly good opportunity to spend the night out there myself!
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    WE have spent 1 night when we first got it to try everything out.  I spent 3 or 4 when the floors were being refinished and I couldn't stand the smell in the house.  DH spent 2 nights checking battery life for CPAP before boondocking.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Coincidentally, I had been pondering this question for a potential poll.

While the T@B is quite comfy and I'll admit to few driveway "happy hours" when we first brought it home, there's no way I'm sleepin' in there when my Tempur-Pedic is but a few yards away!  :-)   
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, "Poll Away"!!! Sounds like a good one! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I'll give @Dereco a chance to set it up, since he put it out there first!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
     ;) 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Driveway camping is routine for us and has been to one degree or another since we got our Silver Shadow in '09. These days unless we're planning on staying at the house for more than a couple weeks, we don't bother moving back in. 
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Not sure what the poll reference entails, so 'have at it' guys. 

Derek
  • Options
    @Dereco, if I recall correctly, you are in Newfoundland. When you are not in RV Park "Home Driveway" where to you take (or plan to take) your T@B?

We really enjoyed our trip (non-camping) to NL a few years back and I have a vague fantasy of returning someday with the T@B!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    skwhee said:
    Driveway camping is routine for us and has been to one degree or another since we got our Silver Shadow in '09. These days unless we're planning on staying at the house for more than a couple weeks, we don't bother moving back in. 
    So that's how you've racked up 700 nights in your camper (mentioned in another thread). I thought that was a typo. Impressive!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Just in the last five years we have spent six to eight months a year on the road in our T@B. It adds up. 
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    We do it at least once every other week and more when traveling to my parents places.

my driveway, my cabin driveway, my girls friend's driveway.

but with bug season ending up-here, quebec canada, it is the time of the year when we start sleeping on the outside futton at my cabin. So tough competition for the TD as for driveway camping. ;)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Every Friday @ our house....
  • Options
    Tell me again your exact address, Deltaboy59...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Deltaboy59, you have a minibar, unlimited movies, a date, a comfy bed. Sounds relaxing!!! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    @Dereco, if I recall correctly, you are in Newfoundland. When you are not in RV Park "Home Driveway" where to you take (or plan to take) your T@B?

We really enjoyed our trip (non-camping) to NL a few years back and I have a vague fantasy of returning someday with the T@B!
    We camp mostly at Terra Nova National Park, and once at Gros Morne National Park on the west coast of the island. Some recent stays include Windmill Bight Municipal Park which is close to some inncredibly beautiful sandy beaches and dunes, and Dildo Run Provincial Park on the saltwater near Twillingate, and icebergs and whales! We also boondock a bit.