Options

roof/sidewall leaks in older T@B trailers

I have done some reading, though I can't find much, about the potential for roof/sidewall leaks when in the rain for the older model T@B trailers.  If the issue was fixed at the construction level, does anyone know what year that took place?
Does anyone know if that leak problem was an occasional problem with only some t@Bs or was it pretty much an issue with all of them?
Thanks,
Toni

Comments

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    As I understand it, mostly a problem with the Dutchman clamshell models. There is no history of leak problems with the newer Pleasant Valley/ NuCamp models. When buying an old model, open up all the cubbies and under bed areas and make sure the floors are not punky or soft when you push down on them. Also look for bubbles in the interiour wall paper and exteriour skin.  
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I believe the Dutchmen clamshells (2009 and earlier) leaked at the galley hatch hinge.  Check out the articles in this link dated 2012.
    http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/tag/golittleguy-com/  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We have an 2007 TQ floor plan.  The only leaks we have had are around the wheel wells where the caulk was nonexistent and through the coolcat AC opening.  I caulked really well with polyurethane caulk around the wheel wells and added some more screws with washers to hold the plastic wheel wells flush to the side of the camper/floor.  The decorative trim hides this work.  I also removed the grill in front of the cool cat to make sure the drains are clear and inspected the caulk around the openings and looked inside for a crack in the base of the cabinet.  Our caulk did not seal the plastic sides so I caulked all of the suspected areas.  I put the grill back on and made a removable polycarbonate AC cover.  The cover does not stop all water from entering but prevents the drains from becoming overwhelmed by the spray from semi trailers.  I would open all cupboards and look for where you can see if water is leaking around the windows.  I also caulked the front seam where the aluminum top meets the floor to prevent water infiltration.   Sounds fun doesn't it?  All said this is a labor of love.   
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    toni,
    I have only heard of side wall leaks in a couple of DM T@B's, failure of proper sealing of the roof to side wall joint (under the decorative plastic trim). This is not a common issue (Monday morning built).

The most common leak issues are:
    1) galley hinge for the clamshells
    2) wheel well sealing for just about all DM built T@B's
    3) front seam (junction of roof and floor) for many 

Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    tonitoni Member Posts: 46
    Thank you for these great comments. I will save them for future reference