Options

Water draining beneath my trailer

TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
I was going to head out for CO this am for the 1st time   In an apartment so no hose bib to fill tank. I closed the fresh water drain valve and have been filling with a pitcher. I was thinking I would never get on the road but kept at it. Now I see a valve of some sort under the trailer and all of the water has been draining out.  Any ideas and also help in getting it filled faster??
2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    The fresh water drain valve is under the front of your T@B, to the left of your step, is that where the water was draining? If so, turn it the other direction and try pouring a little water in. See if it stays.

many folks don't travel with the FW tank filled due to the added weight, but fill up at the campground. You'll need a hose or big water carrier for that.

do you have a park close by with a water spigot with potable water that has a thread for a hose? I'm waiting for our battery powered pump today which should make filling the FW tank from our 5 gallon container easier.
    Good luck, it's good to have a plan, and even better to have a plan B, C, D!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    I am not staying at a facility with hookups and do not have a hose. I have a hose but it is too small for the opening on the 5 gal water jug.  The valve I am talking about is about center under the trailer.  Not the fresh water one.  Could it be an overflow? or Alde?  I was going to stay in Pawnee National Grasslands in CO dispersed camping no amenities.  We then were going to Agate Fossil Beds National Monument to see the eclipse.

• Options
    Could you send me the link for the pump you have ordered please?  Also where would I find a water spigot?  Do you mean a campground?  What kind of place would have one?  I feel so stupid.  I am trying to get used to not having my own home with things like water and a hose!!!!.  
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited August 2017
    @TTTab, From your photo, it appears that the water is draining from one of the drains under the driver's side pipes associated with the pipes going to & from the Alde, and hot water holding tank, or the yellow flip handle valve. Open the bench on the driver's side by the Alde, and you will see the bright yellow valve handle by the floor. It should be in the down, horizontal position. Follow the red and blue lines, and you'll find two more drain valves associated with those respected lines. They should be in the sideways (trailer side to side) position. I hope this helps you. For a good visual of these valves, go to the left column under User Manuals/PDF Files/Videos & Resources. Scroll down to the bottom, click on the one for winterizing, open and you'll see two side by side photos. You'll want to copy the line settings for camping mode. Let us know if you get the water to stop. Thanks!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @TTTab I hope I did this right: https://tinyurl.com/yamj6kek

• Options
    edited August 2017
    @Twojgrams, I bought the same one at our local WalMart for $10.00. Works great.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    Since you own a 2015 T@B Max S like mine THIS particular leak looks like it is near the shower area.  It's hard to tell with the photo you have posted and you'll need to get underneath the trailer to really tell where the water originates from.   I would install wheel chocks under the tires to keep the trailer from rolling any, and you should be able to use the tongue jack, jack it up as far as you can and take a photo of the leak head-on.  As noted earlier, the fresh water tank valve sits just behind the trailer step and the valve handle needs to be turned away from the end of the drain hole, as if it is currently running parallel to the pipe that would mean the valve is open.

Look under the sink too and to the left side of the bottom of the sink cabinet in the void area where the black tank is located.  See if there is water on the floor and also as Eric noted, look inside the bench area behind the shower and take a flashlight and look beneath the shower area for any water and check the yellow valve handle and make sure the yellow handle is down as opposed to sticking up.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @TTTab we live in Portland Or, so there are some options for water- some city parks have potable water, some gas stations have free potable water, some charge. You can look at the big box stores for fuel siphons or make your own from a hardware store's supplies. If you search on siphon, you will find some suggestions. Stay calm, you're not stupid, just feeling frustrated. First the drain issue, then the easiest way to fill the tank. Until you get going, consider this your driveway camping maiden trip. (Or parking space!) My apologies if this isn't helpful. Others may have suggestions I've overlooked.

• Options
    Found a pump at Northern Tools for 19.99 but it is about 25 min away.  First I need to climb under the trailer and check out the leak  It does look like it is coming from a valve.  Thanks all.  I'l let you know Thanks for the PM @Michigan_Mike
  • Options
     Hope this works. It is the blue tube that is leaking
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I believe that's the overflow/vent tube that tells you the fresh water tank is full. Turn on the pump to fill the Alde with water and turn on the hot water spigot. You should get a couple more gallons of water in it before it starts peeing on your shoe again.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike. Is the tank under the sink the fresh water  if so then it may be an overflow
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    That's where my 2015 T@Bitha had her freshwater tank vent. When the tank was full to capacity and my fill jug was so snug it formed a seal on the inlet, water would come out of the vent tubing. Redneck shoe wash!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ok so I ran the water in the sink and shower and it smells like chlorine so should I empty the tank from the freshwater valve and then refill it an drain it how many times
  • Options
    Then it is off to purchase the pump. Maybe I will still be able to leave today
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    TTTab said:
    @Michigan_Mike. Is the tank under the sink the fresh water  if so then it may be an overflow
    If the tank is beneath the sink it is probably a fresh water drain pipe.  Check that area and make certain the valve is closed off.  As I stated before, if the valve is positioned parallel to the drain pipe it means it is in the open position and needs to be turned in the opposite direction as you are letting water out.  

It sounds like @Ratkity has the same set-up and solution.  
  • Options
    TTTab said:
    Ok so I ran the water in the sink and shower and it smells like chlorine so should I empty the tank from the freshwater valve and then refill it an drain it how many times
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/60/how-to-sanitize-an-rv-water-tank
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  It was the overflow valve for the fresh water tank that was leaking!  I spent the day going over all of the systems and purchased a pump.  So I did not head out to CO but with the reports of the traffic in NE it was probably for the better.  I will go somewhere in my area this week to do my test run instead.  Getting ready to head out to Port Townsend for the T@B get together in Sept.  I am feeling good so I will not have to cancel that trip.  One question, how long does it take for the propane to chill the refrigerator?  Didn't get cold that I could tell.  Should I get some sort of thermometer to check it out?  Battery wasn't fully charged so I didn't try that mode.  I will charge it via my Zamp tomorrow and try that then.  Thankful for this wonderful group and their help. Linda

• Options
    @TTTab, When you first turn the fridge on using propane, don't expect it to feel cold for a while. I had a cheap thermometer that I hang off the shelf of the fridge. Try your setting on 3 to 3 1/2 to start off with, and then adjust accordingly to suit your needs. You'll find using the fridge in propane mode extremely frugal in it's use of propane. I'm 22 days in to use on mine, and have some left over. Haven't checked it to see how much is left yet. Fastest way to cool off the fridge is to use shore power, and don't be afraid to turn it all the way up to pre-cool the fridge. The temperature inside is tricky to say the least just by feel. Highly recommend a thermometer of your choice. Even the fins won't feel as cold as they truly are once the fridge gets cooled down. If the temps are 85* & above, allow at LEAST overnight to pre-cool in any case. Battery has one temp setting, and I certainly don't recommend using that setting at all, at least I don't, and haven't since I witnessed how rapidly it depleted the charge in the battery. Glad to hear you found your "leak", and it wasn't serious, just a learning lesson. Travel safe, and happy camping!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I thought that my T@B had an 11 gallon fresh water capacity.  So I used 1/4 cup of chlorine to the tank.  As I am rinsing the chlorine out I am getting the over flow emptying at about 5 gallons.  I check inside under the sink and it is full at 5 gallons.  Is there a second tank or what?
  • Options
    @TTTab, Should be 11 gallons. Have you drained it completely yet? Try a complete drain (use the drain behind the step & right in front of the passenger wheel) Can you actually see the tank to verify the capacity, or are you going by the SeeLevel read-out? Might have an air pocket causing the overflow as well. Let it sit for a while, drain & then try to fully rinse it out leaving the fresh water drain open. Please let us know if this works, as I'm real sure that is an 11 gallon tank, or SHOULD be.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I don't have a Seelevel.  I can see the tank under the sink.  It is empty and then when I fill it from a 5 gallon jug is is full!..  The valve I have been using is on the drivers side right under the spot where I fill the water tank. When it is full it overflows. The overflow tube is the one I took a picture of.  When I am full and then I open that valve it keeps flowing until the tank under the sink is empty and then stops.    You are saying that there is one on the passenger side by the step?  I will go back down and look.  The one I am using is the one my dealer showed me to use.  
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that blue line coming down is just an overflow tube. Check on the other side by the step as @Michigan_Mike indicated. Should be a silver metal valve. turn it so it is facing towards side to side of the trailer. Facing front to back should close that valve. Let me know what you find as now you have my curiosity going. Thanks.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    TTTab said:
    I thought that my T@B had an 11 gallon fresh water capacity.  So I used 1/4 cup of chlorine to the tank.  As I am rinsing the chlorine out I am getting the over flow emptying at about 5 gallons.  I check inside under the sink and it is full at 5 gallons.  Is there a second tank or what?
    No, there isn't an additional tank and your on-board tank only holds 5 gallons.   The 11 gallon tank was added in a few years ago and when the tank is inside (on the older T@B's) they only installed 5-gallon fresh water tanks.  Although later 2015 T@B models DID have the 11 gallon tank incorporated into the underbelly of the trailer, it sounds like your trailer just missed the newer/greater capacity holding tank.  
  • Options
    PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    If your fresh water tank is under the sink it is 5 gallons.  The switch to 11gallons was mid year 2015 and the larger tank is not under the sink.
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, Ha, I just got off the phone with my T@B Guru @Dalehelman, & he confirmed EXACTLY what you just said. Must be a real late model 2014, or real early model 2015 with the 5 gallon interior tank like you said.
    @TTTab , One other thing Dale mentioned was to dissolve some baking soda in a gallon of water to help with the chlorine bleach smell, and to help get it out of your system. Sorry I kinda led you down the wrong path there, and I apologize. I was going by the year of your trailer, and SHOULD have listened a LOT more carefully as to what you were trying to say. Hope you can accept a humble I'M SORRY, and finish what you started with better information.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Thanks @PhotoJoe. Guess you're NEVER too well seasoned to learn something new every day! 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz not to worry my friend as you have been a prince of a member helping others out here on the forum and giving freely of your time.  But am amazed that Liz hasn't grabbed you by the collar and dragged you out to the garage to fire up the lawnmower too!  

Seriously, thanks for helping out Eric and to everyone else out there pitching in as this is what makes this place roll and all efforts and new owners appreciate it all!  2thumbsgif

You DA man!  Mikegif    
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, :lol:, Now, THAT's funny because I was mowing my lawn in between trying to "help" those folks out! Thanks for the last emoji, I RESEMBLE that remark!!! :rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2017
    1. Here is a link to download an older manual someone compiled for the forum
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/FileUpload/f9/c510f62e684835a5aa85ee9bd965ce.pdf
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world