Options

Fresh water tanks; a maybe silly question

I am reading various recommendations about how to sanitize the fresh water tank. One thing that does not make sense to me- Why would someone  fill their fresh water tank at a campground when presumably if you are filling it at the campground then you could just use your hose connected to the campground water supply?   Am I missing something? I assume that when you are hooked up and using the campground  water supply  that the water just goes from  the campground faucet into your hose & into your plumbing system and skips the water storage tank. 
Isn't the  fresh water tank only for when there is no water supply at campground? And that implies one would have to fill it up before getting to the campground.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    sbhtennis said:
     Why would someone  fill their fresh water tank at a campground when presumably if you are filling it at the campground then you could just use your hose connected to the campground water supply?   Am I missing something? I assume that when you are hooked up and using the campground  water supply  that the water just goes from  the campground faucet into your hose & into your plumbing system and skips the water storage tank. 
    Isn't the  fresh water tank only for when there is no water supply at campground? And that implies one would have to fill it up before getting to the campground.
    Yes, not all campgrounds have water hook-ups.  Many campgrounds and state parks across the land just have water fill points.  As you noted the city water connection DOES provide water to the trailer and does not place water in the fresh water tank.  The fresh water tank is normally used when people are boondocking (dry camping) or when a facility has no water supply available at the camp site.  I normally carry 3 water jugs with me when I am traveling and am able to have a hand wash station outside the trailer and the ability to keep my fresh water tank topped off on a moments notice.  

However most parks (not all) have a "potable water" source at dump stations, opposite the "not for drinking" hose where you can fill the FW tank in the trailer when you enter many of these parks.  But be careful which hose you use as I have seen people fill water jugs from the "not for drinking" hose and this is the hose that people use for cleaning/rinsing out their sewer hoses after dumping their black/gray tanks.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    sbhtennissbhtennis Member Posts: 67
    Makes so much sense now. So what you are saying is that the actually individual  camp site you are at may not have a hookup for water but the campground has a  hook up  for potable water and then you just mozzy over to your site with the  freshwater tank filled...and you thus did not have to tow all the way with water.
      How does one know if the campground has such an option? 
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    The campground's website usually will tell you which amenities are available at each campsite
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    There are also campground maps that show the location of water spigots.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    sbhtennis said:
    Makes so much sense now. So what you are saying is that the actually individual  camp site you are at may not have a hookup for water but the campground has a  hook up  for potable water and then you just mozzy over to your site with the  freshwater tank filled...and you thus did not have to tow all the way with water.
      How does one know if the campground has such an option? 
    If you don't already have it a good iPhone app that will be helpful and also lists the available amenities at parks, campgrounds, NF campgrounds, RV parks, etc. is Allstays.  There are other apps out there as well, RV Parky,  Ultimate Campground Finder, iExit, etc.  For a small investment you will be able to look around in advance and have an idea as to what each camping area has for amenities, available campsite, contact information to reserve sites in advance, etc.  

I do carry some water on-board in my fresh water tank to allow for the use of the toilet and for hand washing purposes, etc. but for the most part normally don't haul around a full load of water unless I'm traveling a short distance as each gallon adds just over 8# per gallon in extra weight.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ