Options

Starting the frig on propane

2»

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Resurrecting this thread, need some ideas. We had a big wind storm yesterday and lost power. It was out 3 days last time so I decided to go out and fire up the T@B fridge in case we needed to move some stuff out there. Tried several times, green light never came on. It was windy and cold and getting dark so I gave up.

Power is back but I still want this to work. Today I tried some of the voodoo, ran the stove for a while, ran the Alde on propane for a bit. The green light is coming on but not staying on after I release the button. After several attempts, the green light comes on within a couple seconds. I've held the button in for varying amounts of time from the recommended 15 seconds to nearly a minute. I even prechilled the fridge on 120v and then tried to light it because someone said that worked once. The green light always goes off as soon as I release the red button.

The fridge has always worked PERFECTLY on 120v and 12v, and we did use it on propane for a weekend last summer. Any ideas to try next? Sacrifice a chicken under the full moon? I have the troubleshooting chart but really don't want to tear the kitchen apart, it goes to winter storage in less than 2 weeks.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    If after holding the red button in for at least one minute and the green light is on and then goes out . It is most likely the    Thermocoupler  is  malfunctioning. The part is not expensive but is does require the removal of the fridge because the burner is clear in the back. Unless you have the new version where's the burner is on the right side.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Should I be able to see the flame if I remove the front panel? 

What exactly does the green light represent?

I do have the old 3163 everyone loves to hate.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    One thing I always do is very SLOWLY release the red button while watching the green light.  Seems to really help.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    One thing I always do is very SLOWLY release the red button while watching the green light.  Seems to really help.
    Yep, did that, as soon as the button reaches a certain point, poof the light goes out and the ticking pattern starts again.
  • Options
    You can't actually see the flame. The green light is a type of fiber optics that transmits the light of the actual flame to the control panel. The thermal coupler tells the gas valve that the  pilot light has lit. If the coupler  malfunctions once you  release the red button the pilot god out.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I recall a thread that dealt with the thermocouple "coming loose."  Seemed like an easy fix to correct.  Perhaps ChanW had the solution?
  • Options
    Seems like it was the thermocouple fitting at the top of the fridge (have to remove the stove to get at).
  • Options

Yellow arrow in the photo is the thermocouple fitting that sometimes comes loose.

• Options
    Excellent, thanks. Will take a look under the stove when it warms up a bit. Had frost last night!
  • Options
    Tabaz said:

Yellow arrow in the photo is the thermocouple fitting that sometimes comes loose.

I hope you a right. Tightening that would be an easy fix. My guess is it's the other end of the copper tubing that is the problem. Generally replacement of the whole coupler is needed.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I agree Dale.  It's worth a shot.  About a year ago, several owners had this problem.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Many pages to read in this thread, but browse through it @Photomom.  He does have yet another thread with other Norcold problems.  http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3860/fridge-wont-light-for-nothin/p1
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    We've used the fridge on propane for 3 days total, I can't imagine that the thermocoupler has gone bad. I can see that it might have loosened up; there have been several times we've driven on roads so bumpy the interior of the cab was in severe disarray when we arrived. In any case, I'll report what I find.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We’ve had very similar symptoms...when there is even a light wind.  No wind...no problem.  I’ve thought about changing those (2) vents on the front to something that’s blocked on 3 sides but open on the bottom...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    We’ve had very similar symptoms...when there is even a light wind.  No wind...no problem.  I’ve thought about changing those (2) vents on the front to something that’s blocked on 3 sides but open on the bottom...
    Those vents on the front are exhaust vents for  carbon monoxide. Be very careful when considering any modifications to them. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Photomom, I had trouble getting ours lit when it was brand new (used only once, or twice). When I took the stove top off, to inspect the propane hoses (during the hose recall), I made a point of checking everything while I had the stove top off. My thermocoupler fitting was about a quarter to half a turn loose, so as @Tabaz stated, good place to start. Just don't overtighten, the fitting should be "snug". I'm hoping it's a quick & easy fix for you & please let us know what you find. Thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    It was VERY windy Sunday evening (that's why we lost power) but not on Monday afternoon. I'd be concerned about modifying those for safety reasons.
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2017
    Note to self ;););)  Remember that when you start a new discussion on this board and forget to turn off "notifications" on your cell phone at night, you will get 16+ BEEPS when forum members respond to your discussion... starting at 5:47am.  Good thing I'm retired and can take a nap later on.

P.S.  My resolution was that I hadn't turned on the battery!
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    Took a brief hiatus while we snuck in a couple of end of season camping trips. Finally got back to this issue today - unfortunately I found the thermocouple fitting under the stovetop to be nice and tight. RATS! And everything I could see looked okay visually. Thanks for the ideas.

T@B goes to winter storage this Saturday and will have to get back to this in April. Will need to run the fridge on propane for an Adirondack trip in June!
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    It always makes me sad to hear that Tabs are going into storage.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    dsatwork said:
    I’m not inclined to get out there and remove the snow from the T@B roof every time we get a foot or two. 
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Photomom said:
    dsatwork said:
    I’m not inclined to get out there and remove the snow from the T@B roof every time we get a foot or two. 
    Oh no...I get it...just means they are getting out till Spring.  The part of living Southern California I love...camping year round.  B)
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Photomom, you might also want to check the exhaust vent of the norcold. Mud dauber wasps are notorious...
    Symptoms would be the same.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    @Photomom, you might also want to check the exhaust vent of the norcold. Mud dauber wasps are notorious...
    Symptoms would be the same.
    I went out and inspected the outside of those vents and didn't see any evidence. Will remove them and check in spring.