Options

Starting the frig on propane

SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
Does the battery have to be ON when lighting the refrigerator on propane?  I've read so many theories my head hurts.  My frig will not start on propane.  The propane tank is full, the T@B is level, yada, yada.  I'm doing everything the instruction manual says to do.  I finally took my T@B to the dealer,  but they've had it for two weeks and I refuse to go another week without camping waiting for them to work out the propane issue (and a couple other minor problems)... so I'm picking it up tomorrow and will take it back before my warranty expires Oct 1st.
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
  • Options
    Thanks, Dale... that's the kind of answers I like :)
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2017
    @Aussie Just to be fair, the Norcold 180.3_ refrigerator, doesn't need the battery to start or run on propane. If you are boondocking or making an extended rest stop while traveling and don't need the battery, you can shut it off and leave the refrigerator running on propane. That is the way I use mine.  Maybe this is where the confusion is coming in. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I have the previous Norcold model 3163 3-way in my 2015. The battery is required to operate the propane ignitor. If the fridge is running on propane, it goes out if you turn off the battery.

However, it seems this may not apply to what I assume are the newer model 180.3 units.

"Theories" don't apply to the operation of mechanical devices--only facts matter. While you may not like slogging through details, they are important for discerning the difference!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Just like your BBQ grill, the fridge needs a spark to light the propane. The battery provides the spark.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Sorry if you have already covered this, but when my fridge doesn't want to start on propane, I make sure both stove burners are lit first, and then the Alde furnace.   Works every time after that.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Aussie, Have to agree with starting at least one stove burner prior to starting the fridge. When starting your fridge, it is REALLY important to hold the starter in for at LEAST 30 seconds. Patience is a good thing when starting the fridge up using the propane mode. @Homebodyatheart was having a tough time starting hers ( I believe the same model as yours) as well. Holding the starter in longer solved her problem. I'm hoping it solves yours as well. Let us know what you find out please. Having your trailer held hostage for repairs at the dealer during prime campin' season sucks! I can empathize!!!! :s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz... I sure don't want you to rescind the "Stick to it with a great attitude" T@B University badge you presented to me after my water pump issues at the first East meets West gathering and my first time out with Aussie.
    I've tried lighting the burners, held the starter up to 45 seconds, etc. Now I'm just itching to get on the road.  Aussie (my T@B), Sophie (my dog) and I have been out 3-4 days every week this summer... checking out all the state parks around the PNW.  This girl is Luvin' Life!
  • Options
    @Aussie , You go girl!!!! All I can tell you is that we ( @Homebodyatheart & I over the phone) had the manual out & followed the instructions to the letter. Started completely over at least twice ( including shutting the propane valve at the tank off & SLOWLY turning it back on ) before we could get that stubborn sucker to work. Worst part for her was it was REALLY hot out that day to boot. :s Sounds like you've earned the perseverance T@B University badge as well. Believe me, @Homebodyatheart deserves hers as well after that one!!! :)  
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Despite my previous comment about "theories" not applying, I will add that if there is any device in that trailer that is affected by voodoo magic, it's that darn fridge!

My first season it worked great. Last year, I struggled to get it started almost every trip; it would light, go out, not relight, and sometimes even utter a very disconcerting "POP" if I tried too hard. Every time, after walking away for an hour or two, I was able to light it up just fine.

So far this year, it's worked fine. Go figure. I do tend to wait a bit before lighting it after arriving in camp, though I have no ideas why that would make a bit of difference to the propane or the fridge.

Which model fridge do you have, and what exactly is it doing/not doing when you attempt to light it? Can you hear the ignitor clicking? Does it light and go out (like mine did) or just not light at all?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, It's the new 3 way Norcold that's coming in the 2017/2018 models. Doesn't have a light for the "lit" indicator, but rather a "pointer" that goes to a green zone when lit. Confused the beejeezus out of me when I was trying to help @Homebodyatheart with hers. Whole different animal with a different ignition as well.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Interesting. A pointer and zone implies a gauge of some kind...so what is it actually gauging?

And what provides the ignition if a battery connection is not required? Is it one of those clicker-type doohickeys like what comes on a BBQ grill?

Sounds like another case of new technology making our lives "simpler."  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited August 2017
    @ScottG, I haven't been up close & personal with one of these critters to make a sound comment on your inquiries, but perhaps someone who HAS had the experience will chime in here...... :|
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Actually my 2017 has the little green light, not the pointer.
  • Options
    Ooooo... it's getting darker here in Seattle
  • Options
    @Aussie , Thanks for the clarification. Hmmmm, and it's still hard to light? I know mine can get stubborn at times, but I've always been able to light it after a few attempts. Does the green light come on for you at all? Even after the light comes on with mine, it will go off when I release the "clicker" button, and I have to hit the "clicker" again & hold it down longer until the light stays on. Do you turn the cold dial ALL the way up when trying to light? Sometimes mine lights better at the #3 position rather than all the way up. I'm right there with you on the frustration factor at times. Good part is that when I DO get the light to stay on, it STAYS on.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Starting to here in Spokane... a little. :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Yup, I've tried it all.  
  • Options
    So, no green light on EVER so far? I'm wondering if you have a bad safety valve, or something along those lines if you can't get a light on at all. I'm runnin' out of ideas here, so maybe somebody else with a similar issue can shed some light on this. Might have to wait until the eclipse passes though.  =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    There is know real time limit when holding down the red button. It should only take 30 to 40 seconds. If the  thermal couple is not directly in the flame it could take longer. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Agree, hence the "pop" sound once in a while. Kinda sounds like either something not aligned properly, or obstructed, or lack of propane flow all together though. This is a new one, and I'm curious to find out what the problem & solution will be.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have had to hold the button in on mine for over a minute, but it finally lit. I was being very  stubborn that day!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    My manual says to precool the  Norcold prior to using on propane.  This did work when I had problems starting it on propane.  I have a 2015 t@b max s.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    First we remembered to turn on the propane all the way, then we lit 1burner on the stove, then, when depressing the red fridge button. we heard the clicking of the igniter repeating a pattern, then we turned the stove burner off while continuing to depress the fridge red button, THEN we heard the flame whoosh, THEN we slowly released pressure on that red button, et voila! We had cooling! I have no idea what worked, but we are likely to repeat this order in the future. Until it doesn't work, and we'll try another.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2017
    These are the controls for the 180.3 fridge. The T@B manual that came with my 2018 is actually for the previous version 2017, so pictures the older fridge. I had to copy this out of the Norcold manual. The igniter is manual, no battery required. One press of the button results in one click of the igniter. It sounds like it is no easier to start than the previous version. Patience and determination required. 

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    As noted above by others and as I was instructed to do by the dealer I turn the propane on, turn the stove on and light it.  Let the stove run for a a minute or so to eliminate air in the lines and it normally lights when I count to thirty (with the start button pushed in) or thereabouts.  Even if it goes out it normally will start up and stay lit after one or two tries.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Yep, that's my routine too, though the problem I was having is that sometimes it would light, then go right out even though I was still holding the red button. Subsequent attempts to light were completely unsuccessful, sometimes ending in the aforementioned explosive "POP." That's when I'd beat a path to the door and try again later!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, That's what I consider a "beer" break. Sometimes it takes two to calm the frustration level! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Thank you all for your recommendations.  Couldn't leave my T@B another day with the dealer so I picked it up yesterday before they had a chance to look at the frig.  I'm leaving this morning for another 4 days in a state park with no hookups and will give all of your suggestions a good test.  I'm loaded with ice blocks and not many perishables just in case.  Wish me luck!  
  • Options
    @Aussie, Just goes to show you can't keep a good camper down!!!! Go have fun & let us know if 'ya figure out the "personality trait" of your T@B. :)
    Spokane, Wa.