Options

Replacing Norcold 3-way with 12V compressor fridge in Model S

After several weekends with above 90F temps, I'm frustrated by my Norcold 3163 not managing to keep things at a reasonable cool temperature. In the afternoon, it would reach about 50F. Yes, I've got the cooling fan added to the exterior vent, but it's still not doing the job. I'm considering replacing it with a 12V compressor fridge using the Danfoss DB35 compressor. Benefits would be increased reliability, better cooling capability, a freezer (ice cream!), power consumption on the road (I use 12V for cooling en-route) and a smaller package for the same cooling volume. Drawbacks are price (these are all ridiculously expensive), and power consumption while stationary.

There are lots of options, and I've narrowed down the search to those which will fit in the existing opening. That's a pretty hard limit, with 24" of height (and a pressure regulator from the stove partially impinging on that), 24.5" of width and depth ranging from 17.5" at the bottom to 21" in the middle. Here's what I've found so far:
  1. Thetford NR740 (20.5 x 15.25 x 17.875 - 1.7 cu ft).
  2. Engel SR48F (20.39 x 15.12 x 17.67 - 1.4 cu ft)
  3. Nova Kool R1900 (20.675 x 15.675 x 17.75 - 1.9 cu ft)
  4. IndelWebasto Cruise 65 Elegance (20.75 x 17.75 x 18.5 - 2.3 cu ft)
  5. VitriFrigo C60IBD4-F-1 (24.5 x 19.125 x 16.125 - 2.1 cu ft)
The last is probably ruled out because of height, but it's the only VitriFrigo unit that's even close. There are lots of others similarly sized in height at just over 24 inches that I didn't bother to include. The IndelWebasto unit is 18.5" deep maximum, but has a sloped back which looks like it will fit. As such, it seems like the best one in the list, filling the largest amount of the existing area while providing lots of space inside.

IndelWebasto also sells a add-on control module for the DC-only model that is supposed to make the unit use less power on average by letting the temperature rise a bit when the voltage indicates that it's running on battery without any charging.

In any case, all of these use the same compressor, which draws about 40W when running. It's pretty hard to know what the average power draw would be as that depends on the outside temperature and the quality of insulation around the box.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has done this or is thinking about it.

Comments