Options

Fantastic Fan question

Comments

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Fantastic fan.

anybody foumd a way to reduce the speed of a fantastic fan?  Even of the lower setting, it is still to fast for my taste.  I could leave with the second speed to be the fastest and so on.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have the noisy fan too. I saw some tabbers swapped it out for the 10 speed version which a drop in replacement and quieter. What was the model/part number used?
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 191
    That fan is indeed noisy.  Three settings:  High, Too high, and hurricane!  One of my favorite mods is the installation of a PWM controller in the existing fan.  It's a very cheap mod - about $10-15.  It involves removing the existing rheostat that wastes energy and installing a pulse width modulation speed controller.  It sounds complicated but is an easy mod and results in infinite fan speed control, it quiets the fan, retains the reversibility, and you get significant energy savings to boot.  You don't get any of the features of a fan swap, like remote control, rain sensor or a timer but it is inexpensive and can be done in a few hours.  I did the mod in a TAG boondock that I previously owned and installed the mod in the 320 that I have now.  I really appreciate the improvement.

There are a lot of write-ups but the best one I found was here:

http://ourelkhorn.itgo.com/camperII/fansw.htm

The pwm controller they talk about is no longer available on Amazon but there are a lot of others with the same specs.

Good luck whichever way you go.  Anything is an improvement.

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM. I did that mode a while ago. But unless the speed is real slow the fan still loud, motor wise not from the blades. If you run the bathroom fam all you hear is the whoosh of the air no motor noise.
    I want the main fan like that. It was the same without the mod. So its an inherent problem with that fan motor choice. I wondered if anyone found a drop in unit without going on the roof to change the whole thing that was quiet.