Options

Water filters

having purchased one of the blue cylindrical water filters for the second time I have once again found that it begins to leak after a couple of weeks. Is this just my problem? And can someone recommend a different/better brand?

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Is it leaking at the connection to the camper or hose to the filter? If so, a new rubber gasket or some silicone grease might be in order. I don't usually take it off the hose until the season is over. Are you rinsing it well with city water before you use it and then using a pressure regulator too? I hope you aren't talking about the filter contents itself leaking out after the first rinsing.

I usually just buy the Camco brand and haven't had many issues. Since I usually camp without water hook ups, I use the hose plus filter combo to fill the tank to the top after I get to my destination.

Because the filter pulls down on the city water connect, I put a brass 90 degree elbow on the city water connection and leave it. I keep a threaded plug in it so critters don't wander into it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SSMHHLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,499
    I use the Camco filter and have had no probems, other than the one that was self inflicted. I forgot, and of course hadn't read all the instructions (it's just a filter, right?) anyway, the first time I hooked it up, plugged everything in, turned on a tap to check, and gray black gritty water came flowing out. Yes, you really need to run water through a new filter until it runs clear BEFORE you hook it up to your rig. Yes, I drained it all through, and no damage was done, other than a bit of my ego I guess! Same thing with a Britta pitcher filter. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    I am obviously doing something wrong, I have the Camco also. It seems to leak at the join between the filter body and the "flexible" connector. Thanks

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,499
    @Alan disconnect everything, check the washers in each end, like hose washers, reconnect and see if that helps. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Alan said:
    I am obviously doing something wrong, I have the Camco also. It seems to leak at the join between the filter body and the "flexible" connector. Thanks

I just had to pull off the flex hose all together, because it was leaking. Bad design I think. I was going to change out the end that was leaking, but I decided that I really don't need it after all. I just put the filter inline from the hose bibb or spigot. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We don't use the flexible connector, we use a 90 degree elbow. If you have leaking between the flexible connector and filter, check there's a rubber washer there. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We use the whole house filter housing and change the filters when needed.  Works great for us.  The holder is made from a plastic flower pot cut to fit the filter housing.  I find the filters are less expensive and you can get different filters depending on what you want to filter out. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Great idea!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,523
    Atlasb, where did you get that filter system?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Check out most Hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot etc.  It is a common whole house filter housing and the filters are replaceable.  Usually around $5.00 for the filter.  Changed the inlet and outlet fittings to hose fittings and use the standard white water hoses.  The holder is a plastic flower pot painted to match the 400 and the bottom cut to fit the filter into.  We like the added filter capacity, the ability to use different types of filters, etc.  There is a camco metal tripod type filter holder around $15.00 or so.  Thought I would save a buck or two and try the flower pot.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab