Options

Charging and Battery Life

I was just wondering if the 120 connection when connected, does it charge the 12v battery? And how long will the battery last during a full charge?

Thanks

Kenny
New T@B Owner. 2006 CS Max Clam Shell. She may be small, but she is a cutie.

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Unless you have disconnected the battery via a cutoff switch, or removing the inline fuse, plugging into 120V AC will charge the battery.

How long the battery lasts depends on how it is used.  Stock sized batteries provide around 75-80 amp hours.  You can discharge about 50% of that without doing damage to the battery.  To understand how long you can run certain devices, you need to know their draw.  This chart is helpful.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Frost772Frost772 Member Posts: 11
    Question. I'm in S FL awaiting Irma (on the east coast, we got lucky), however we still expect to loose power. My battery reads 12.3. Is that fully charged. I want to make sure I can listen to the radio and charge phones, when needed. 

2017 T@B CS-S silver with silver trim ("T@Boo') pulled by a 2015 Subaru Outback (6 cyl)

AT GA-ME 2000

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No. Your battery should be fully charged at around 12.8. Depending on the size of your battery, 12.8 should charge your small accessories for two or three days. If you can, plug your 30 amp T@B power cord into an adapter that will fit into a household outlet and use this to charge your battery through the onboard converter. Charge for as long as you are safe from the storm. Then disconnect the power cord to keep power surges from going into the T@B's converter. After a couple of hours, hopefully your battery will settle to around 12.8.   I keep three or four of those battery packs that transfer their charge to your accesssories. This would keep you in power for s couple of additional days. Good luck, and stay safe. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited September 2017
    Please do not allow your batter to go below 12.1, as that is the 50% mark. Going any lower can permanently damage your battery.  This T@B owner needs to quickly take action today before Irma gets there tomorrow. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Well... going below 50% doesn't technically cause permanent damage, it just shortens battery life.  Using your battery shortens battery life.  You just get more bang for your buck if you don't discharge below 50%.

Below 20%... now that can cause permanent battery damage and premature failure!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    We purchased a used 2014 320CS-S clamshell with built-in solar panels and two in-sequence 12V batteries.  How can I test the batteries to see if they are in good condition yet? They charge, in the full sun, to 12.6, even 12.8; but I have no comparison to know if they are holding charge for a normal or sub-normal duration.  Do I use a voltmeter? (we did check the water levels and they were fractions of an inch below full; so we filled them both with distilled water). Thanks all
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @RedDoorGals, battery health usually declines quite slowly under normal use. Therefore, specifically defining "good condition" can be difficult.

A voltmeter--preferably one you can attach directly to the battery--is a must. Ideally, the voltage should be measured when the battery is disconnected, as a battery under load will show a deceptively reduced voltage.

I find that a fully charged, disconnected battery in decent condition will hold a voltage >12.6V for several weeks. As it's health declines, it's ability to hold that charge is reduced. Because of the variables involved, I would not necessarily assume your solar panel is always charging your battery fully. A good stand-alone smart charger might also be a good investment.

Similarly, a ailing battery will lose it's charge under load even more quickly. There are machines to test this but most of us don't have a reliable one kicking around the garage.

Eventually, you just develop a sense of what is right and what is not. There's expensive gadgetry you can buy to monitor every aspect of your power use. If you like that sort of thing and really need to have such detailed info, there are other threads here you can peruse.

These are just my anecdotal reports based on a moderate level of experience with automotive and deep-cycle batteries of different types. Others may have additional insights to offer!
    2015 T@B S