Options

t@b 400 - first impressions from the driveway

AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
edited September 2017 in Introductions

We took delivery of our 2018 t@b 400 on Tuesday, and each day we spend a little time in it in our driveway getting to know it.  We are new to RV'ing so lots to learn.  Here are a few random first impressions/thoughts: 

-      Everyone who has come by to look at it is totally wowed by the styling, the quality of the construction and the number of useful features that are packed into such a small space.

-      The user manual is not very well organized for a complete newbie, but it has been of help in a couple of instances.

-      We are enjoying discovering all the smart little touches – like the little port in the cover of the city water hookup connection that slides away to allow the hose to pass through.

-      We love the utility of the screens/shades but they feel delicate, and the shade pleats wad up sometimes.  We are both worried about damaging them.

-      I thought that I wouldn’t care at all about having the Jensen radio, but I absolutely love it. I’ve only listened to the radio so far.  Quality is good, controls are intuitive.

-      Opening and closing the wide front widow is a challenge for a short-armed person like me - as I open/close it, the window is only being supported by one of its arms while I navigate around the table to get to the other side of the window.  Also, there is a piece of plastic in the bottom right corner of the window frame that keeps popping off – a conflict with the back cushion on the dining table.

-      I cannot read the Dometic thermostat/control well, partly because I am 5’ 3” and it is mounted fairly high on the wall, and also because the LCD readout has really poor contrast.  I literally cannot see the very small ‘off’ symbol in the bottom right corner of the LCD screen, and in bright light you can barely see anything on the readout.  This is the only thing so far that is seriously flawed, but we can learn to work with it.

-      The t@b serves as a very effective ‘blind’ for watching birds in the yard.

-      Love the flooring material.

-      Love the froli system.  People who sit or lay on the bed are shocked at how comfortable it is with the thin mattress.  Except for a lovely 30 minute nap, haven’t really tested it out yet.

-      Love the ceiling fan – super useful.

-      The water pump is louder than I thought it would be (I didn’t expect it to make any noise – should it?) It’s loudest in the bathroom.

-      Love the awning windows.

-      Not sure what we’re going to do with the spare cushion that is used to turn the dinette seats into a bed/couch.  It is taking up room in the t@b closet now.

We are having lots of fun and feel really good about our investment in our t@b 400!

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Congratulations! Thanks for the review. Our dealer told me today that they have 2 coming in soon, one already sold. He will call me when they get there so I can come look. I'm curious, but very happy with my 320 MaxS. I look forward to pics when you can!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Congratulations on your new 400!  We, like you, love it more each time we are in it.  We used the table the first time out but on the several trips since like having the table down and use it as a couch.  I find that it is easier if I raise the screens and lower the blind separately.  I unlatch the windows and go out side and raise them and lock the support arms.  I find that easier than reaching over the front cushions or leaning to the back window.  like you, I find that to read the thermostat for the a/c is a challenge.  would like for there to be a setting to darken the lettering on the display.  We have visited with several other campers and found the interest to over whelming.   We always are happy to explain the features and always  include the very positive feeling we have always received and support from NU camp.  Don't know of any other company with such great customer care and support.  We have found there is a learning curve and a great many people here willing and know the solution to most questions.  Enjoy and welcome to the 400 family!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I believe the screens are the same as the Tab 320 and they are self-correcting.  Just fold them back up and then deploy.  They will straighten out.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Wait a minute, the dinnette seats are totally fixed?  Nothing slides out or folds down to make a bed?  An extra cushion has to be whipped out and whisked away for a sofa/bed?  It seems "ergonomically challenged".  What's the upside of the design?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Roamey said:
    Wait a minute, the dinnette seats are totally fixed?  Nothing slides out or folds down to make a bed?  An extra cushion has to be whipped out and whisked away for a sofa/bed?  It seems "ergonomically challenged".  What's the upside of the design?
    The dinette table is lowered down between the seats to make the second bed/couch. The seats are fixed.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We place the center cushion on the bed when using the dinette.  When we got our 400, the lower corner trim caps kept popping off also.  After using several times and sliding the cushions under the clips, they haven't come off since.  also,  Don't forget to file all your product warranty info with the vendors.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @AMac
    Welcome to the T@B-400 family! Like you we are amazed at the quality of the design as well as the quality of the build. We've been staying in ours a lot since we took delivery in May. It's just the right size for the two of us!

We can comment on a few of the things you mentioned:

-The front window of the 400 is quite wide but there is no problem with tightening the screw on it one side at a time.  We usually do that from inside although from outside is also a good option. Yes, @SAM, the screens/shades are the same design as in the 2015 T@B 320s and later. But in the 400 we are extra careful with the screen/shade on that front window, again because of the extra width.   We make a special point to operate the screen and shade separately and to position our hands wide apart, as near to the frame as we can reach, to give it extra support. And, yes the corner piece pops off the frame easily. We've just developed a way to slide the back cushion in to support it rather than displace it.

-One of the nice things about having the Owner's Manual as a pdf, on a USB drive, or downloaded onto your computer is that you can search for a word or phase and it can take you to that section.

-We agree that the placement of the Dometic thermostat and it's display design are difficult to work with particularly for shorter people. We have learned to pay attention to the number of clicks for each setting and other clues.

-We usually store the extra dinette cushion either on the foot of the bed or in the back seat of our tow vehicle but in response to @Roamey, there are upsides to the design.  The table is mounted at an angle that allows for extra room on the driver's side bench and easier access to that bench. The dinette feels much roomier because of that design feature. And the seat backs can shift from dinette mode to sofa/lounge mode nicely making both positions quite comfortable.

Yes, it's going to be a learning curve getting to know all the features and systems in the 400 but remember that that's why you've got this community. We're here to share the adventure and help you along the way.

Happy Trails,
    Steve & Karen
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    edited September 2017
     And the seat backs can shift from dinette mode to sofa/lounge mode nicely making both positions quite comfortable

@skwhee, thanks for the additional information on the dinnette seats. Do the backs of the seats
    change position from dinnette to sofa by reclining somehow?

It looks like a cushion is just plunked down to partially cover the lowered table top and the seat backs don't change position.  
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @Roamey the cushions can be moved around so that they cover the wall at the back of the couch. I'll post a picture later unless someone beats me to it. (I am currently relaxing on the t@b couch with an adult beverage doing research:))
  • Options
    By the way, the couch looks like it would function just fine as a second bed for someone 5'3", except not as comfortable as the main bed since no froli.
  • Options
    The photos above do not do justice to the quality and textures of the fabrics that nucamp used on the cushions and wall panels, which are very nice.
  • Options
    @AMac
    Great photos of the sofa/lounge set-up! Thanks! Then if you want to convert it to a bed, you can stow the seat back cushions under the table. If you don't have anything stowed in the area behind the driver's side back cushion a person can sleep with head on the passenger side of the trailer, use the storage area for feet and the bed length is the same as the queen bed in the rear. One of us found it comfortable for a one night sleep. Haven't yet used it for a guest or for a multi-night sleep.
  • Options
    @AMac, thank you for the photos, now I can see some of the options. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    @Roamey, the cushions are actually in two pairs - each pair has a longer and shorter cushion connected with a fabric band sewn on the back. They are not 4 individual cushions, so there is a finite number of ways you can arrange them.
  • Options
    @AMac the T@b side cushions are the same way. I cut the straps in the middle in case I ever want to reconnect them. Now that I've lived with them this way for a bit, I can't see reattaching them, but when the day comes and someone else gets to love Bug they might want to. Just a thought. Those are great pics, too. Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @AMac I cut our side cushions too, for ease of moving around. Pity the next owner though, I may just staple them together if we ever sell. Or use duct tape, in complimentary colors, or super glue....we may just have to keep her!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    AMac said:
    I wish this were deeper so you could sleep two adults.... It would be the perfect size I think then. 
  • Options
    @blackc2004 this could be your first mod! A nice sheet of plywood and some foam cushions to fill in the gaps. I do agree, though!
  • Options
    Another lesson learned - when pulling the door closed, push the lever toward the open or green position, otherwise the latch will scrape against and damage the soft rubber gasket around the door frame.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It looks like the European seats and bed are quite a bit different in shape and under bed storage from what I can see from the photos?

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @blackc2004. How about a hinged slat system for the front bed?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DrewcarrieDrewcarrie Member Posts: 26
    Before leaving the dealer make sure that the lower rail that the table connects to for the bed, has been mounted in the right place. Ours was off so the table wouldn't fit, had to be repositioned. There were many other flaws which I found in the first twenty minutes. I don't think mine was checked at assembly line. 
  • Options
    We were also wondering why the table sticks out or the pillow wasn't cut to fit
  • Options
    It's designed to serve as your coffee table when the area is converted to sofa/lounge!
  • Options
    StevieStevie Member Posts: 36
    I can't see the thermostat either. It was a real bummer at first. I have taken to using the passenger side bench as a step stool. I face the door, put my left hand in the curve of the shelf above the passenger side seat and step up with my left foot placed at the edge of the wood under the cushion. My right hand is on the kitchen countertop when I step up. Once I'm standing with one foot on the bench seat, I use my right hand to control the thermostat. Hopefully I never break anything, including my own rear but it feels stable and is a doable work around.

That cushion floating around loose all day when in dining room table mode was going to bother me, I thought. But we've found lots of uses for it. My favorite is to turn it vinyl side up and lay it over my legs to use it as a laptop table while leaning against the wall on the bed. I also use it as a back rest when sitting up in bed or a leg rest. Sometimes I just put it in the closet beside the jackets. I don't find it takes too much room there.   
  • Options
    Ahh yes. That's the problem of knowing more than a salesperson and then not knowing everything
  • Options
    Found an unexpected use for our 400 today; our 18 year old refrigerator gave up the ghost last night and we can't get a new one delivered for 10 days. So I'm giving the t@b fridge a good test!  We've got the high/low thermometer provided with our new owner's 'gift box' in the fridge, which is set to 4.5 (5 is coldest setting).  Fridge cooled down quite quickly on shore power.  I've also turned on the t@b a/c (it is quite hot and sticky here today).  Any concerns/cautions about running the fridge for 10 days on shore power with ac also on?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Other than being comfy, and salvaging food, I can't really see any reason why you shouldn't be able to. I'd pick up a regular cheap fridge thermometer so as to be able to get a more accurate reading on the inside of the fridge though. We dealt with frozen fresh eggs ONCE before I went and got one that hangs on the metal shelf inside! :o:s;) Had to kinda chuckle though. We used our T@B during a power outage for heat & lights. Used the solar panel & battery power for the lights & propane for the fridge & heat. "T@B...not just for camping"! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf