Options

First trip comments

judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
We survived our first trip in our T@B Max. Our battery was fully charged but we were able to have shore power. Another thing crossed off the list. I am proud to announce that the Alde heating system worked great on electric. It wasn't necessarymto boost it with propane. In fact, it became a little too warm. I am asking for you fellow T@Bber's to chime it. Is it necessary for safety to open the overhead vent or a window when using the Alde on shore power? As with previous poster, we felt major heat loss with a hairline crack in the fan vent. My husband feels that the floor vent in the cabinet under the frig, and the 'can see daylight' at the top,of,the frig should be sufficient if not using propane. Thanks to all of you who helped with my Alde questions. It is truly working for us now. I truly desire your suggestions for sleeping arrangements for those who do not solo camp. By the time my husband and I made the bed, we were exhausted and it was too much work!! Although the it was comfortable sans the warm air being sucked through the fan, the table is heavy and too much trouble to put into TV and bring back inside for bed. We aren't spring chickens and I was almost dreaming of solo camping and leaving the twin bed down and putting the husband in the tent. He is already discussing shortening our bed space and I don't want to do that. 22 yrs in a houseboat was bad enough. What can we do to have ample sleeping space without the aggravation? Yes, I used a topper, sheet on top, a cover sheet and a blanket. He is thinking sleeping bags. Your help on all subjects are appreciated. :-j
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Judy -
    Why are you moving your table into the TV?

While we've been using the T@b more as a spare bedroom than for camping so far, I just fold the bedding up onto the back of the seat, which stays down unless I need it for more than two people. I use flat sheets, not fitted, just tucked down along the cushions, and a fleece blanket over top. These easily pull up from the sides, and once folded I put the side cushions back in place and raise the table.

We don't use a topper, although we're considering it, and that may change the ease of setup a bit.

- gcw
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Yes, Judy, you do need to keep fresh air coming into your T@B. Just remember that the two of you could feasibly deplete the oxygen in your T@B, and you do exhaust CO2 and moisture when you breathe. So, even though there may be a breeze coming in, you do need to keep a fresh air supply inside. I had a problem keeping warm enough while camping outside of Washington, D.C. because the wind was coming out of the northwest, and coming directly through the vent cover into my Silver Shadow. And it was a very cool breeze. After two nights, the breeze changed and it was easier to stay warm, and yes, I keep the door window open the width of a wine cork. If the breeze is too much on my back, I just put a pillow or a sweatshirt in front of it, but leave the ends of the window clear so air can circulate. I really do enjoy waking up every morning. And the circulating air also keeps condensation from forming on the inside surfaces.

Please read this discussion from the Teardrops and Tiny Trails Forum. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40667&start=90  I will tell you that I know 3 of the people this happened to--waking up gasping for air in the middle of the night because their teardrops were closed tightly at night.  Yes, these are smaller than the T@B, but even with the vent under the 'frig that some of you have blocked, there is a true danger of not having enough oxygen.

And, the T@B and Little Guy manuals from the factory does recommend keeping a window open a bit, along with opening the roof vent.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Gerry, Am I understanding you to say that you fold down the back and that will sleep 2 people comfortably by leaving the benches up for seating? Yet I see you do fold the table down. I think I am making this too hard. So, are you making up the entire bed with table down for slats? I guess my dilemma is the table takes up so much room and it is heavy. Trying to balance the 2. Verna, going to read that. Thank you so much.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Verna, the link is not working; however, I will type that in and re-read our manual as well as the one Susan provided us T@B owners. Yes, waking up is a plus. I did get the link and although we are newbys and I don't have anything to offer, I do now!

• Options
    Judy, try the link again. It works on both the iPhone and the Winfows laptop. But you can go to www.tntttt.com and do a search for "teardrops can kill you".
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, I did and I am still reading. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. My thoughts re: venting were the condensation comments. I am totally changing my thinking thanks to you.

• Options
    You're very welcome.  I believe it, and I believe Paul and Bob.  Bob was still scared two years later when he told me about it when I started camping with my first teardrop. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    We have a southern saying: Throw another dog on the bed. I no longer have a dog, but I will vent regardless of the weather. Air Flow vent cover must be ordered this week. You may have saved lives responding to my post.

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I don't quite understand the removal of the table in your T@B.  We leave our table in all the time.  It stays up all the time during the day(except when towing).  We sit at it when eating our meals and if we want to relax with it up, sit lengthwise like a long bench seat, with our back against the rear bench.  The night time routine is to drop the table, lay all the cushions in bed mode, but leave the rear bench up for lounging and reading.  The two small side cushions are leaned against the entrance door.  When we go to bed, we drop the rear bench and unroll two 25"x 72" self inflating, 2.5 " thick sleeping pads.  We then lay two  twin Travasak sleep bedding on top.  The Travasaks have velcro removable sheets for laundering, better than sleeping bags.  Also the Travasaks have a summer side and winter side, which is possible by one side having more insulation than the other.  You flip it to the side you want, depending upon the temperature.  The self inflating pads and the Travasaks are rolled up like sleeping bags and stored behind the rear bench area, also where our pillows are kept.

This is why I am putting slots in the top of the rear panel, the heat slots are covered by the sleeping pads and Travasaks.

The sleeping pads are available at REI.  Camping World carries the Travasaks.  They are not cheap, but ours are over 8 yrs old.  It is nice option, unlike standard sleeping bags to have the choice of a hot or cold side.

We, also sleep with our heads to the front of the trailer, easier to get out of bed to get to the bathroom.
    Hope this helps.

Jeff
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Verna - Not to discount the advice, I think in general it's good but I don't think there's a one size fits all "golden" rule. Depends a lot on the conditions. 

I've been boondocking in my T@B for a couple of months now (have hit a campground just twice) and when the outside temp is reasonable I do open the vent - BUT - With low temps (my low so far's been -1) I have it tightened up tight. So far I haven't seen any condensation and haven't had any problems with oxygen/breathing. When there's a good breeze, even on warmer day, between the fridge and air conditioner leakage the old T@B can feel like a drafty old house ;-)

• Options
    Jeff, you comments help. I was aware of the heat cents. I was not aware of the products you mentioned. Thank you. I do like the table, I just wish it were a bit smaller. My husband really likes the roominess of the T@B with table removed. We are working on that.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Judy, you know I'm not a T@B owner, so bear with me with terminology. Little Guy does sell "bed slats" that support the bed when being used, instead of using the table. Someone will chime in with the proper terminology. When I had my Sidekick Standy (not much larger than a T@B), I cut 3 pieces of 3/4" birch plywood for the table slats, instead of its heavy table. I rounded over all of the edges, sanded it, cut hand-holes into them so I could easily lift them in and out of place. It worked so much better than the heavy table. Just another idea.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks, Verna. We are in discussion. Haha. It really is a nice table, just so heavy.

• Options
    vanderadovanderado Member Posts: 17
    Judy, I agree the stock table is heavy, I also find the daily up/down is clunky and finger dangerous, I have the 2 legged metal bottom table. 

Elsie @ LG can sell you 3 slats to finish your bed in place of the table, they are basically tiny finished table tops, fully trimmed. During daytime, the slats store in the bench seat or on the back part of the table area on top of slat #1 that you just leave in place. I think the 3 slats were < $100.

In our application, the stock table gets used outside (one less table to pack), but is "available" to come inside if you want to eat inside and of course fits perfectly. In "day mode" you don't have an inside table but you suddenly have lots of interior space. We are not inside eaters though.

This strategy fixed a few problems for us, including easier morning/night time conversions, no outdoor table to pack, but it may not work for everyone. I'll send pics when possible.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    First thing I ditched (put in storage) was the table. Traveling alone, I didn't need it for sleeping so it was always in the way. Still trying to decide on what to replace it with but the cheaply TV tray is working so far.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I have a question in regard to using the slats to sleep on.  The 2015 T@B doesn't have any side rails to lay the slats on, as the table collapsed is the bed bottom.  I am going to install some side rails on our unit, to keep the table when its down, from creaking side to side.  I would like to see if I can purchase matching birch wood from the factory, to make the support rails.  If not, I will hit the local lumber yard.
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    I have a question in regard to using the slats to sleep on.  The 2015 T@B doesn't have any side rails to lay the slats on, as the table collapsed is the bed bottom.  I am going to install some side rails on our unit, to keep the table when its down, from creaking side to side.  I would like to see if I can purchase matching birch wood from the factory, to make the support rails.  If not, I will hit the local lumber yard.
    The best way to find out if you can buy the support rails from the factory is to call the factory.  The phone number is under Contact Numbers in the Categories to the right.  Their hours are 5:30 am to 3:30 pm EDT.  Be sure to ask who ever answers the phone and they can get you to the correct person.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Removing the table and using in the tent would be great. I am wondering which of us will be crowned with first table pinch. It WILL happen. No bangs on the air conditioner mount, though. Felt pads working thus far. Husband is the wood worker. I think he is going to make slats , but then again, I haven't noticed if our 2014 T@B has the side rails. Still learning.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I seriously need to do the slat thing. My young nieces and nephews have been dying to sleep in the T@b. I would let them sleep onto he floor but am afraid that they would block the CO2 monitor and cause it to go off at night.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yes, Jenn. The same with our 2 grandchildren. They are young so now would be the time for us to try. The last thing you or I need is for that monitor to go during the night.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

My 2014 T@B S does not have the rails on the sides.  Someone on the Facebook T@B group suggested removing the legs from the underneath side of the heavy table and using the table top as the "slats."  That is exactly what I did -- and you need a square screw driver.  I purchased two pieces of pine strips, 3/4" x 3/4" x 30" for the rails.  The table top is 1" thick, and I'm hoping that when the table top sits on the rails, it will be flush with the benches, although it will be mighty close.  I'm hoping that any variance won't be noticed when you put the cushions down, mattress topper, sleeping bags, etc. 

Since I do not want to cover the Alde vents in the benches with the rails, this will be a little tricky to attach the rails just right.  In theory, this should work.  If the 3/4" wood is too thick, I'll have to go smaller.  I intend to secure the rails with 3 or 4 wood screws -- don't know yet the length of the screws.   

[-O<
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Wanderoo, I do not think we have rails on the sides. T@B is in storage but my husband doesn't remember rails. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    I think the L floorplan is the only one that includes rails for slats. That layout doesn't have a U-shaped dinette and requires a couple of slats in addition to the table in order to set up the bed (as shipped).
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    vanderadovanderado Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2014
    I am confused, our 2015 CS-MAX has side rails, I think? 

Photos attached so can see if yours is different.
  • Options
    Sorry, ours is 2014 T@B S Max. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.