Options

trailer whip

drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
I have towed all kinds of trailers and never had this kind of problem.  We were traveling at 60mph, slightly downhill without breaking.  We hit some construction bumps which caused the trailer to bounce side to side - not bad.  Then a big rig passed us and the trailer started to whip side to side.  I never had this happen before and do not know exactly what to do in this situation.  This trailer did not respond the same as tandem axle trailers.  What is the best way to bail out of this situation?

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    My trailer brake controller allows me to apply only the trailer brakes, which can help straighten things out.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I would have removed my foot from the accelerator to control the fish tailing. Slow down to 60 mph or less, breathe, and then slowly accelerate. 

Search for threads on load balancing because you may need to adjust your interior loading to adjust for correct weight distribution. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Not enough weight in front of the axel or to much weight behind the axel.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    A friction sway bar can help with TVs that have this issue. My sis' BF had it with his Jeep (don't ask model, no clue). She didn't have a problem with it using her TV, so she never hooked up the bar.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    edited September 2017
    My first guess would be too little tongue weight. 
    Typical recommended range is 10 to 15  percent of the trailer weight.   In my experience,  light trailers generally track better nearer the higher end of the range.