Options

Lifting weather stripping

tonitoni Member Posts: 46
In the process of buying our new T@B we noticed in the front on the edge that the weather stripping appears to have been installed a little sloppy and was a bit lifted and curved.  We asked for that to be fixed when we came back to the dealership to pick it up after their prep.  (I might add that the dealer we bought it from is three hours away).  When we came back it did not really look to us like they had done anything, but they said they had and it was more of  a cosmetic issue and that there would not be any water leak problems.  I am posting pictures to get opinions about whether we should worry about it or not.  The trailer is, of course, under warranty so if there is a potential problem we would want to have it fixed.  Thanks in advance for any advise you can give.

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    It's not a problem.  This happens to mine when it sits in the sun and gets hot - the plastic trim expands with the heat and the whole thing bows up, leaving a bit of a gap between the rubber seal and the trailer roof.  When it gets cold it shrinks down nice and tight against the roof.

It is cosmetic and isn't meant to keep water out.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Ours keeps coming off too...I was given some 3m rubber trim adhesive from nucamp to fix it myself. I tried using that, but it didn't hold either. The problem is, if it starts flapping, it will come lose completely. When I installed my solar, I had to run the wires along the trim. For that I used some black excalking material that adhered the wire cover to the black rubber trim and that side isn't moving at all. So, my plan now is use that material to fix the trim that continues to come lose.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited September 2017
    There is a product at Walmart in the RV/ auto department called  amazing Goop. It's a great  adhesive and is weatherproof very long lasting. It stays simi flexible, better than Silicone. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    There is a product at Walmart in the RV/ auto department called  amazing Goop. It's a great  adhesive and is weatherproof very long lasting. It stays simi flexible, better than Silicone. 

What color is it?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Thank you for the helpful tips.  If it were out of warranty we would do that.  But, If we do that now I am afraid that would make the warranty null for any problems that might pop up down the road in relation to that area.  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The rubber isn't really a seal for that joint, more of an aesthetic trim. You might call Nucamp about it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    dsatwork said:

What color is it?
    Clear
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    toni said:
    Thank you for the helpful tips.  If it were out of warranty we would do that.  But, If we do that now I am afraid that would make the warranty null for any problems that might pop up down the road in relation to that area.  
    I wouldn't think you would have any issues with the warranty. Nucamp gave me the adhesive, so they would have a hard time selling the "you shouldn't have done that" as their position. Also, it's such a hassle to take the T@b in EVERY time there's a problem. Then add the fact that most of these repair people probably won't do a good of a job on the repair as me. 
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    The rubber isn't really a seal for that joint, more of an aesthetic trim. You might call Nucamp about it.
    The problem is when it comes off, its not very aesthetically pleasing to look at.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, AND...if left loose, and to it's own devises, you'll be back-tracking to find out where it flew off! :o:s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    thank you again, that all makes sense. 
  • Options
    Jellybones11Jellybones11 Member Posts: 27
    Thank you for the comments on this issue. I have same problem. I'll try some of these fixes. My only worry is that they screwed it in to keep it down so I'll keep track of possible leaks or buckling. Mine is a 2017 Outback Max S. Towing unit is 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTE
  • Options
    Thank you for the comments on this issue. I have same problem. I'll try some of these fixes. My only worry is that they screwed it in to keep it down so I'll keep track of possible leaks or buckling. Mine is a 2017 Outback Max S. Towing unit is 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTE
    The weather stripping isn't screwed in, it snaps over the track. I was sent an medium strength black rubber adhesive from nuCamp. That didn't work any better at keeping it tied down either. I think I ended up using same Silicone Adhesive Sealant I used to hold my cable track in place for the solar wires because it is very solid. Something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone-II-10-1-oz-Black-Silicone-Caulk/3084585 but you only need to use it where it connects to the plastic molding. It's hard to do without making a mess so keep something handy to clean up as you go.
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I would send NU Camp a picture and ask if it is an issue that should be handled but the dealer.  If not ask them what the best approach is for you to fix it.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    cotracyecotracye Member Posts: 9
    I had an issue with the rubber weather stripping that goes along the whole side front to back coming off. Lost it on a trip. The other side was loose on the back and I tried marine glue and it did not work. Where can I buy a new one for the side that got lost?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @cotracye, when you say "the whole side" it sounds like you might be talking about the plastic strip that fits in the keder rail. If that's the case, it serves no functional purpose. Those of us with tents or awnings usually just remove it permanently.

If you really want a replacement, you could likely get one from nuCamp. Otherwise, it's just a basic vinyl trim insert probably available form a number of sources.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, I'm pretty sure @cotracye is referring to the rubber strip that goes on top, not the side. (See photo at the beginning of this post.) I've had to push mine back in several times. 
    @cotracye , Like Scott said though, call parts, they will steer you in the right direction. You might want to read through the rest of this posting, starting at the top to see how others have dealt with the loose weather stripping.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I'd definitely follow-up since you're under warranty.  I tried a few adhesives (including Goop) on one of mine and nothing worked (and now it looks horrible as you can see the dried up stuff). My trim piece is loose as well. Have an appointment tomorrow at my dealer in Mesa and I'm sure hoping they can fix it. May only be aesthetic but it's still an issue. Hope yours gets fixed!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    edited January 2018
    My guess is the "Dealer In Mesa" is "probably" "maybe" "could be" Tom's Camperland, who are pro's at Tabs.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 586
    It seems I'm having the same problem with the weather stripping lifting. Right now, it's about a foot in length. The stripping itself still seems to be seated and I can see adhesive, but the section that lays against the trailer body is lifted. I tried Shoe Goo, but it's more like rubber cement and unless I press it together and hold for however long, the rubber simply lifts back up. It's also messy and oozes out. I also don't want to actually pull the stripping out of the track just to put Shoe Goo in. 

@Dalehelman does Goop act the same way as Shoe Goo or will it actually hold the rubber down once I put some in there and press it down?

I have also emailed Warranty.

Thanks~

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Rv Goop is excellent stuff sets up fairly fast about an hour although the longer the better. It is not a contact adhesive and parts need to be held together. Consider tape or some sort weight.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The rubber trim has been a problem forever. Shoe Goo is what most of us Dutchmen owners used to keep the trim down. Just a dab every few inches.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    dsatwork said:
    The weather stripping isn't screwed in, it snaps over the track. I was sent an medium strength black rubber adhesive from nuCamp. That didn't work any better at keeping it tied down either. I think I ended up using same Silicone Adhesive Sealant I used to hold my cable track in place for the solar wires because it is very solid. Something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone-II-10-1-oz-Black-Silicone-Caulk/3084585 but you only need to use it where it connects to the plastic molding. It's hard to do without making a mess so keep something handy to clean up as you go.
    This is an update, it lasted 1 1/2 years,

As noted above, I used the GE black silicone to glue the wire holder casing to the trim for my solar wiring leads to the battery. Well, it came off all along the front where the wind beats on it. The other side held fast where I used it to tie down the lose molding is still holding strong, unfortunately it came off above that point. I'm going to try the RV goop product next for the molding and maybe use the everbond RV tape I used for the panels to hold the  solar  wire holder casing to the trim.