Re-sales

So I count about 13 T@Bs 3 years old or less for sale, some hardly used, what's going on here? Why such a high turnover?
2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut

Comments

• marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

I don't think that's a high turnover considering the number of these that are out there. And I'd say the reasons are pretty variable. Some want a bigger unit (like the 400), others just aren't able to use them as much as they thought for various reasons from job obligations to health. I have never seen anyone put a T@B up for sale because it was junk or not great quality.

I answer this now because mine is shortly going up for sale; and it breaks my heart to sell it because it has performed beautifully since the day I bought it. I love it! But it is time for a bigger unit - I haven't decided what yet, perhaps the 400.

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    webers3 said:
    So I count about 13 T@Bs 3 years old or less for sale, some hardly used, what's going on here? Why such a high turnover?

I noticed some are moving up to the 400, others don't get out as much as they expected and some just moved on to something else. That really is not a high number.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    ^^^ Exactly! :)
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    My T@b CS-S was very lightly used.  It did not look like they even cooked a meal on the stove.  It was bought by a young couple who very quickly traded it in to get an R-Pod, which is a little bit bigger.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I've thought about this too and have come to some possible conclusions: A) the forum is the obvious place to go to sell-I wonder if other specialized forums get the same numbers like those for rpods and airstream etc.?- B) people overestimate how comfortable they can be in a really small space C) people overestimate how many of their absolutely necessary for traveling items they can actually fit in their TVs+tiny teardrop D) folks entertain dreams of seeing the country when they retire and don't realize the effort it takes E) if you wait till retirement age to travel by trailer, you're also waiting until age and infirmities are catching up with you, making camping a little bit harder, maybe impossible F) people think it's an inexpensive way to vacation, and it is but one can spend a chunk of change anyway G) I think some folks equate trailers with cars-take it to a mechanic and all will be fixed whereas we all know we need to brush up our problem solving skills on the road and on the way.  I'm sure I'm missing obvious reasons but  I don't believe it has to do with the design or quality or customer services of the nüCamp lines.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I also think some people are impulsive and have not done their homework before purchasing.  It can be a steep learning curve that needs some committment.  In addition, some must be surrounded with all their creature comforts like home and you just can't fit it all into a Tab.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Some people don't have any towing experience, figure they can handle a small trailer, but end up hating towing anyway. 
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We had our 320 listed and sold on this forum.  The hardest thing is to come to some viable sales value.  Before I posted I searched for used T@B's on any web site I could find.  Was not able to really find that many to compare.  The Yahoo T@B group has a listing but still not that many.  Over the course of time it was listed We had 20+ inquiries, for all over, Washington, Texas, Arizona, Canada etc.  For the number of these trailers out there, it seems to be a minimal amount for sale.  I tried a search on NADA for a value and there are not enough used units listed or sold to establish a sale value.  The reason and only reason ours was sold, was to up grade to the 400.  We have owned 3 different pleasant valley/ NU CAMP products and all have been above expectation.  Each and every time we are in our 400 we marvel at what a quality product they have produced.

Now, this is not to say that it is the right product for everyone,  We are all different and we all have our own way of camping.  For years , camping to us was Holiday Inn.  Boy do I not miss those days!  We have up graded Tow Vehicles several times, so that we could safely tow the next T@B.  So It does become a mater of what may be right for you and as we mature, things we thought were right for us, may not work as expected. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    atlasb said:
    We had our 320 listed and sold on this forum.  The hardest thing is to come to some viable sales value.  Before I posted I searched for used T@B's on any web site I could find.  Was not able to really find that many to compare.  The Yahoo T@B group has a listing but still not that many.  Over the course of time it was listed We had 20+ inquiries, for all over, Washington, Texas, Arizona, Canada etc.  For the number of these trailers out there, it seems to be a minimal amount for sale.  I tried a search on NADA for a value and there are not enough used units listed or sold to establish a sale value.  The reason and only reason ours was sold, was to up grade to the 400.  We have owned 3 different pleasant valley/ NU CAMP products and all have been above expectation.  Each and every time we are in our 400 we marvel at what a quality product they have produced.

Now, this is not to say that it is the right product for everyone,  We are all different and we all have our own way of camping.  For years , camping to us was Holiday Inn.  Boy do I not miss those days!  We have up graded Tow Vehicles several times, so that we could safely tow the next T@B.  So It does become a mater of what may be right for you and as we mature, things we thought were right for us, may not work as expected. 
    When we were looking to buy a used T@b in southern Ontario, there were not too many listed.  Within a month of us buying ours, all the other listings we had noted had been sold as well.  Our trailer was almost sold to somebody on the other side of the country, but their travel plans to come pick it up did not work out. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    You have a good point atlasb.  We never really know what re-sale units sell for, so it is hard to know their value.  If list price is any indication, I think they hold their re-sale value well.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I love my unit and it suits me to a tee, however, my husband thinks it is too small and refuses to travel in it with me.  We just picked up a GN LQ toy hauler that my husband can use alone or together, and we can haul our large kennel of dogs with us.  I don't think we are the only family with more than one trailer, lol.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Russian nesting dolls, the dogs in the kennel, the kennel in the T@B, the T@B in the Toy hauler. That would bring out the zombies!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    Thank you all who commented, glad to see that the re-sales are not for lack of love for the T@B, and glad to know there will be plenty of slightly used T@Bs when I am ready ;) 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @webers3, You MIGHT be waitin' a good, long while! :D;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Friends bought an Aliner and used it exactly once before selling it back to the dealer at a huge loss. Not being mechanically inclined, they had trouble hitching it up and freaked out when it came off the hitch while driving.

And the various forums are replete with people who buy T@Bs before making sure they have an adequate tow vehicle.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    My DW's sister & brother in law have an RV, first bought it (barely) used, then owned it for about a year, before upgrading.

I think its the nature of the industry.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    When we were looking for one last November, there were precious few available. It's ebb and flow. I would imagine there are many people that just realized they aren't able to use it as often as they would like and want to get it sold before they have to winterize it again.

You got to love living in SoCal.....We'll be close by camping in Idyllwild,CA on the 29th and hopefully again at the end of October. Then after Thanksgiving its up to Joshua Tree and Tabazona in January. Lord willing that is.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2017
    One thing that was noted about T@B units by factory owner Joe Mullet at üCamp 17, these units DO hold their value longer than the majority of comparative/competing units being sold in the RV industry today.   I believe that when you have a unit that has composite materials within it, the unit itself is superior in quality to competing units out there, it naturally will hold it's value and therefore is a pretty good investment all the way around.   I think it's interesting that you can look at some of the older Dutchman T@B's out there and they still look pretty good. Granted there were some issues with wood materials entered into the trailers, but the composite materials utilized today  do provide owners with longevity and a well preserved trailer if they are maintained properly.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ