Options

Tow Vehical MPG...

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Tuned would be the operative word.  The torque spec is a little low at stock.  What r u seeing...? Like a Banks tuner or the like?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Most are the Spade (Duramaxtuner) tuner. Haven't found much else. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Jdcouple, sorry, I have a '15 GMC Canyon 3.6L with the tow pkg - it's overkill for a T@B, but not for da toy/teardrop/wheelchair-scooter hauler. Oh, and it's carried a motorcycle too hehe. 

Have you heard about the diesel? I'm sorta impressed by it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Ratkity I kinda like the idea of the diesel. We want to start taking some long trips with our Outback and think it would be a better experience through the mountains of Colorado and across the desart to joshua tree. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I just finished a 1,400 mile trip to Maine. My 2016 Subaru Forester 2.0 turbo got somewhere between 10 and 14 mpg. High winds, mountains, and speed impacted my fuel economy. Flat roads with no wind going 55mph got me into the 14mpg range. 65mph into a wind dropped my economy to 10 mpg.

frequently I wonder whether people are reporting calculated mpg or the always overstated mpg from the car computer. 
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    I really wanted a diesel until:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/business/diesel-emissions-volkswagen-bmw-mercedes.html

Diesels do well on CO2, but poorly on asthma and other lung ailment causing nitrogen oxides, which the above article discusses about a third of the way through. 
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    Just drove 700 mi from southern to northern Idaho and back (lots of curvy mountain roads).  Got 16 mph pulling a 2017 Outback with my 2016 Volvo xc90.
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    Haloo said:
    I really wanted a diesel until:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/business/diesel-emissions-volkswagen-bmw-mercedes.html

Diesels do well on CO2, but poorly on asthma and other lung ailment causing nitrogen oxides, which the above article discusses about a third of the way through. 
     That's a tough call. Pick your poison.  The environmental stats get much better with biodiesel--if you can find it.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Only problem with biodiesel, unfortunately, is that many new diesels don't like it. Our 2015 M-B Sprinter manual says absolutely no more than 5% biodiesel. Even my 2005 Jetta says no more than 10%. Wish it weren't that way, but that's what it is.
  • Options
    Those warnings are bologna. Nobody can tell what you put in your tank. refill with dinosaur diesel before taking to the dealer.
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    Just set a new record traveling to Palm Springs, CA. Averaged 18.6 mpg.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Trailpixie, I believe those "warnings" were applicable only to newer diesels whose injection systems operate at extremely high pressures. My TDI is a BEW (PD) engine and bio's not recommended above 10%. The previous VW TDI engine, the ALH, no problem. I know folks who run those on heated vegetable oil, even. But not the new ones, I'm told (and read in manuals). In any case, I'm not willing to chance it. Planning to keep that Jetta for years.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Ratkity said:
    My sister said Ford is considering bringing back the Ford Explorer Sport Track, but only in diesel. She loves hers and has put a new engine and transmission it because she loves it so much. It's in like-new condition, just lots of miles. She also said that she doubts the diesel will come to the U.S. because of some sort of standards it can't pass. Don't ask me which because I have no idea. She really, really wants that diesel. 

Her BF wants the Jeep diesel that has been rumored too. 
    I have an 09 Sport Trac and LOVE it. It's pushing 126K miles. I'm holding on to it till the engine drops out the bottom. I'm also eagerly awaiting to see what the new Ranger capacities are going to be. Otherwise, an F150 will be my next truck.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    Jdcouple said:
    Please oh please let the diesel out of the transit makes its way in to the new Ford Ranger! 
    Yeah, the midsize Ford Ranger that supposedly comes out in 2018 (for the 2019 model year) looks like it'll be an awesome tow vehicle for T@bs, especially with a base price rumored to start at $25K. It would be great if they include a diesel option. Should make for good competition against the Colorado/Canyon.

It's doubly nice considering Ford is already testing a Ranger Raptor, which is rumored to look something like this PhotoShop mockup image...

2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
  • Options
    Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2017
    Tbone said:
    We run 75-80 mph. (Where necessary)
    Aren't the tires on T@bs only rated to 65mph?
    2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
  • Options
    BeachcamperBeachcamper Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    I have a new 2017 Ford Escape with 2.0 eco boost and factory installed tow package. Looking at many posts it seems to be a good combination for the 320 S. However, mileage seems to be all over the place between 8-15 and being that the tank only has 15 gallon capacity, that 8 mpg result would be a problem in isolated areas. Would using premium fuel increase mpg with these turbo engines while towing? And what/where is transmission in S required? Those getting good mpg please give me your feedback on how you get 15 mpg. Should I get sway bar and brake controller added? I am deciding if the Ford is a good option or if I should trade it in.
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I have a new 2017 Ford Escape with 2.0 eco boost and factory installed tow package. Looking at many posts it seems to be a good combination for the 320 S. However, mileage seems to be all over the place between 8-15 and being that the tank only has 15 gallon capacity, that 8 mpg result would be a problem in isolated areas. Would using premium fuel increase mpg with these turbo engines while towing? And what/where is transmission in S required? Those getting good mpg please give me your feedback on how you get 15 mpg. Should I get sway bar and brake controller added? I am deciding if the Ford is a good option or if I should trade it in.
    Since you have a new Escape, you would take a significant hit trading it in. A brake controller is mandatory in many states, and frankly it would be crazy to tow without one. I am a fan of anti-sway devices.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I get about 14-15 mpg.  On some downhill slopes however, I've been getting 85 mpg....  grin...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    I get about 14-15 mpg.  On some downhill slopes however, I've been getting 85 mpg....  grin...
    Haha! Does your 1500 have the ecodiesel?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    No, but when coasting downhill, I get incredible mpg...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    thoreau24 said:
    We pull our 2017 t@b Max S with a 2016 GMC Canyon.  It's a 4-cylinder diesel which averages 27 mpg not towing.  On our maiden voyage last week we got a average of 20 mpg towing from Denver to Utah on I-70 through Vail pass (fully loaded).  Pulled great with very little pull on the engine even on the steepest of hills.  Very pleased with an average of 20 mpg while pulling uphill.

We got really good mileage when we were towing across I-70 and across the mountain passes in Colorado earlier this year. Not suggesting it skews your towing result, which I'm sure would be solid regardless. But, I have read other Tab owners talk about getting better mileage at altitude. 

In regards to the 2016 GMC Canyon 4-cylinder diesel, these are serious tow vehicles that get great gas mileage. The GMC Canyon diesel boasts an all-new powertrain that expands the Canyon’s already class-leading capabilities, including trailering capacity of up to 7,700 pounds (3,492 kg).

The new 2.8L Duramax diesel, SAE-certified at 181 horsepower (135 kW) and 369 lb-ft of torque (500 Nm), is estimated to deliver greater highway fuel economy than the Canyon’s segment-topping gas engines, and is the cleanest diesel truck engine ever from General Motors. It goes on sale this fall.

An available trailering package includes a hitch receiver and seven-pin connector, as well as the segment-exclusive automatic locking rear differential. A 3.42 rear axle ratio and four-wheel disc brakes with Duralife™ brake rotors are standard. Capacities include:

• Maximum trailering rating of 7,700 pounds (3,492 kg) for 2WD models and 7,600 pounds (3,447 kg) for 4WD
    • Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings of 6,000 pounds (2,721 kg) for 2WD and 6,200 pounds (2,812 kg) for 4WD

“A diesel engine was part of the Canyon’s portfolio plan from the beginning, meaning the chassis, suspension and other elements of its architecture were engineered to support it,” said Scott Yackley, assistant chief engineer. “That means there are no compromises with the Canyon diesel. It offers exceptional capability delivered with a confident feeling of control.”

Further, when properly equipped, the Colorado can move up to 7,000 pounds with the 3.6-liter gasoline V6 and 7,600 lbs with this 2.8-liter Duramax diesel. That’s a 24-foot Searay, any conceivable project car or all but the biggest of Airstreams. Trailer-toting landscapers and other professionals should be happy, here, too.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2016-chevrolet-colorado-crew-cab-review-love-engine-utility-lacking#ixzz4vzy6OYXo

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We recently got 14 mpg towing our T@B 320S with our 6cyl 2005 Toyota Sienna van, going 65mph max.  Normal average is about 21 mpg.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Average mpg after a year on the road (western U.S.) with my 2013 Ford F150 - 16mpg (I'm a slow driver - averaging 55-60mph). I couldn't afford an SUV. Am very pleased with the truck - good torque and power and I like the "tow/haul" mode. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Just got back from the weekend in Shanendoah NP.  New(for me) jeep GC w/ eco diesel...22.5 mpg. Uphill, down hills & flats. 575 miles on a single tank!!! :o I am throughly pleased with my new 2014 GC. 
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Amazing @4ncar! Some of those switchbacks are scary and grades are steep. Luv that place, however! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Nice!
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Amazing @4ncar! Some of those switchbacks are scary and grades are steep. Luv that place, however! 
    Indeed on all accounts! I have been going to SNP since I was a teenager, always before on a backcountry permit with everything on my back.  This trip was the first with the t@b...what a joy!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Those that using a Ridgeline and getting the great mileage, do you have a cap over the beds?
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport.  15mpg @ 60mph average. 13mpg in AZ while traveling 65-70mph.  When I drive a little faster I can get up the mountain grades in S4 w/o all the down shifts.  When it down shifts to 3rd the trans heats up.  I have a Scan Gauge II to monitor temps.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    seejayseejay Member Posts: 12
    I recently returned from a 5 week (2100mi) maiden voyage for my TV (RAV4 v6) and T@b Max-S Sofitel. Towed through the Sierra mountains (up to 9000ft) and flat to hilly high desert (4-6000ft). My tanks weren't completely dry as I was dry camping mostly. I kept track of mileage at all gas stops but didn't crunch the numbers until I returned home. Through mountains: 10-12mpg, and through other areas 17-24mpg. I was surprised as my RAV4 is an 07' and without the tow package. No problems at all!:)