Options

Turbocharging the Norcold N 180.3 3-Way Fridge (double side vent models 2017 and newer)

dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
Yes, Turbocharging the Norcold N 180.3 3-Way Fridge is possible.

It basically consist of 2 modifications to increase flow over the condenser fins. 

http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5763/turbocharging-the-norcold-n-180-3-3-way-fridge-auxiliary-fan-or-fans#latest
http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5764/turbocharging-the-norcold-n-180-3-3-way-fridge-adding-a-baffle#latest

There is an optional modification to the 12 volt system if you want maximum performance while your towing.

The final thing is something that many others have found useful adding a battery operated fan inside the refrigerator to circulate the air.

I tested these modification on 12 volt power when the temperature hit triple digit heat. At 104 degrees outside high temp and 115 high inside the trailer at 4:30 PM a the refrigerator temp of 39.4 degrees. The next day at 1:30PM with 105 degrees outside and 120 inside the Tab the fridge was at 35 degrees. It did suffered a little bit of temperature creep as the day wore on at 6:25PM 107 outside and I think around 120 inside the Tab it crepted up to 46 degrees, but very respectable for a 3-way fridge on 12-volt power.

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow @dsatwork! Great notes and experiment!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Slip7Slip7 Member Posts: 32
    Very informative. Thanks for the Aussie links on the explanation on the operation. I really hope NuCamp is paying attention and can incorporate these efficiency tweaks into their processes. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You do have to remember that nüCamp has to install per Norcold's instructions. If not, nüCamp would cause the T@B owner to lose their Norcold warranty. If these suggested mods are done during the Norcold warranty by the owner, the Norcold warranty would be null and void.  So, think about the consequences of your Mods before you change anything, even if you are convinced your mod will help. 

If you meet with resistance from either nüCamp or Norcold on these mods, refer back to what I've written. The legal ramifications between the companies is too great for nüCamp to make changes not authorized by Norcold. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Verna, I know that you like to play it safe. But I would challenge anyone to prove this has done anything to void a warranty. What I have done it not invasive at all and I did my homework. Norcold does recommend 10 gauge wiring in the installation manual, if the run is longer than 20 feet. There's no harm in using 10 gauge wiring if the run is shorter than 20 feet.

Keep in mind that Norcold and NuCamp both approved and paid to have the 1st fan installed by an authorized Norcold service center.  So, I recommend going through Nucamp to have Norcold pay for the added auxiliary fan. There shouldn't be any warranty issues if a fan is installed by an authorized Norcold service center.

In addition the auxiliary fan is something that Norcold recommends if your 3-way fridge won't cool properly. http://www.thetford.com/customer-support/faq/gas-absorption-faq/#answer-31

Does a fan installed on the back of the refrigerator help performance?

A DC fan may help improve refrigerator performance when the refrigerator is not installed in accordance with Norcold’s installation requirements or when operating the refrigerator in high ambient temperatures (see “Refrigerator Installation Manual”). A DC fan will assist in providing the necessary amount of airflow. Be sure the fan is controlled by a thermostat and begins to operate when the area behind the refrigerator reaches approximately 95 degrees F. The fan should run until the temperature lowers to about 80 degrees F. Consult with your RV dealer for the correct fan and specifications.

The baffle is also a Norcold recommendation for side vent refrigerators.

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SM_1200-Series_618968C_022707.pdf

Go to page 21 of this document for the complete description. 

The challenge with slide out installations is that the "chimney effect" (see page 31) that is present with roof vent installations is not as strong in slide outs. To improve the airflow of the chimney effect, sidewall vent installations must have fans and baffles. These fans and baffles direct the air flow through the surfaces of heat rejecting components. NORCOLD has determined that the following three key design considerations optimize heat removal in slide out applications.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No argument here, just a reminder that companies are careful of their bottom line. I know @dsatwork that you have spent a lot of time on your analysis, which is appreciated. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”