Options

T@B 400 questions for interested spouse

This discussion was created from comments split from: New T@B 400 & Maiden Voyage.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2018

400 Tank Specs -

8 gallon black
    20 gallon gray
    30 gallon fresh

320 Tank Specs -

5 gallon black - newer models 8 gallon
    19 gallon gray
    11 gallon fresh

The above obviously depends on the model year as the values for holding capacity have changed.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    edited September 2017
    We tow our 400 with out a sway bar, and have

no problem.  We use a 2016 Nissan Frontier Crew cab 4.0 l engine.  261 HP, 281 lb/ft torque, Auto transmission, 2 wheel drive.  We have a A.R.E. MX raised cap and usually all our equipment.  I usually drive around 2,000 to 2,300 rpm in 4th gear.  Seems to like that speed and it is an indicated 63 MPH.  The ALDE model is 3010 and I believe it is the same used in the 320's.  We Love our 400 and are constantly amazed at the features in it.  There is a learning curve as our 320 was a 2013 model and a lot of things have changed with them over the years.  The 400 offers us a lot more camping places that before we had the Bath area, would have passed up.  There is a lot of storage and we love that we do not have to convert the living area to have a bed or a place to sit in the evenings. The fridg is a champ for us and we just turn it on before we leave and off when we get home. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    The above cut out some info when the picture posted.  We do not,  have a problem with the towing and do not need sway bars.
  • Options
    We have used ours conservatively and had 2 showers with no problem keeping hot water.  The limiting factor so far has to keep track of how much gray water you accumulate so the tank does not fill up.  The first time we were out, we used sink and showers for 2 days.  Found the gray tank full and had to dump.  Now carry 2 buckets for emergency dump.  I did use the mixing valve to bump the water temp.  When we shower, I bump the electric heat to #2 and activate the shower boost.  We on the last trip used the propane with the electricity.  Did not heat water with the propane the first trip.  It has taken some research to find how to dial in all the systems and a lot of help from the forum.  I don't see a real problem getting a good shower Though.
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    The tank capacities are listed on the nüCamp website:
    https://tab.nucamprv.com/tab-400-floor-plan/

We did actually confirm the 12 gallon black capacity in our unit by pouring 12 gallons of water down the toilet!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Boo,  are you asking how much hot water the Alde in the 400 will heat?  It acts like an on demand water heater.  Our 320 did not have the Alde but a small water tank heater.  When the heated water was used the tank had to re heat.  The Alde is a continous heat. 
  • Options
    VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2017
    @Boo - we tow our T@B 400 with a 2015 Highlander Limited, 6 cylinder, AWD. The TV has a published towing capacity of 5,000 lb, tongue weight 500 lb. So far, we have towed over 1,000 miles, on highway and narrow twisty roads, up hill and down, weather fair and foul (windy, rainy).  The trailer tows very well. On the highway, we go between 60 and 65. We have a sway bar (my vehicle manual says it is required for over 2,500 lb, so we added it), but I have towed without it and had no problem. 

The rear springs on our Highlander are pretty soft and you can see the vehicle go down in back when we attach the trailer. We tried to find a supplemental stiffening (airbags) but they don't make them for this vehicle. That said, I have not noticed any handling problems thank goodness.

We have plenty of hot water from the Alde and it heats up fast. I have used the shower and it works great. So far, we have used the Dometic for AC and heat because I can't get the Alde heat going. Probably user error
    2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
    "Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

• Options
    @VickeyP
    Have you contacted warranty@nucamprv.com or made an appointment with your dealer regarding your Alde issue? 
  • Options
    edited May 2018

On your T@B 320, did you adjust the mixing valve at the Alde to increase the temperature of the water out of the tap? The water coming out of the Alde is hot enough to scald and when the T@B leaves the factory the mixing valve is set to temper the hot water significantly. It’s up to you to adjust it up to a temperature with which you are comfortable. Are you familiar with the mixing valve? Do you have an owner’s manual? You didn’t specify the model or year of your T@B. Perhaps this link to the 2017 T@B Owner’s Manual might be useful. Just be aware that as you adjust the mixing valve, do it in small increments. If you back the adjustment valve out too far you might find yourself cleaning up a watery mess in the Alde compartment. 

https://3bxr2l10vxst48va8f7epfcd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/03/2017-T@B-MANUAL.pdf

• Options
    Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2017
    We tow with a 2016 BMW X1 SUV with 228 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. The various hitches made for the X1 support 500-600 lb of tongue weight. BMW doesn't quote a tow capacity for the X1 in the USA but in Europe it's rated for about 2000 kg or about 4,400 lb.

We'll be adding an Andersen "No Sway" weight distribution system since our tow vehicle is on the small side for a T@b 400. It should arrive this week. That said, we haven't had any problems in the limited amount of towing we've done so far, but we don't want to take a chance in the windy mountain passes around Washington state.

Good luck with your decision. (FWIW, we love our 400! :) )
    VickeyP said:
    So far, we have used the Dometic for AC and heat because I can't get the Alde heat going. Probably user error

Hi Vickey, my family and I are totally new to RVs in general and the 400 specifically. We thought the same thing when we brought home our 400 last week. We thought it was busted and we couldn't figure out how to get the Alde to blow hot air through the various vents as expected. Every other onboard system was working perfectly.

We confirmed that the propane tank had plenty of gas by lighting the kitchen burner, so that wasn't the culprit.

A quick call to the dealer resolved the our situation. Apparently the Alde heat system is a "radiant" system, so it doesn't blow hot air through the vents.

For our first night in the camper (in the driveway :) )we turned the Alde on and set it for 73º on a night when the nighttime outside temperature was 55º. Sure enough, the Alde kept the trailer at roughly 73º through the night.

Turns out the Alde was working and we just didn't realize it. It just silently kept us warm. 

(Although in retrospect it's possible that body heat from the two of us kept the trailer warm, not the Alde -- but I doubt it, since the inside air would have eventually cooled down and left us chilly.)
    2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @VickeyP @Justin_in_Seattle

Indeed, the Alde is a radiant system. It works by heating an electric element or propane burner located on the drivers side under the bed. This heats glycol that is pumped throughout the system through radiators (convectors) located strategically around the trailer. The heat rises through vents located next to the walls: under the table, next to the bed, by the kitchen window, and on the shower wall. There's no fans, no forced air, just quiet even heat. To confirm that it is heating the glycol, after it has been running for a half hour or more, go into the back of the closet and feel inside the little window on the front of the Alde reservoir to confirm that it is heating the glycol. 

Here are a couple of short videos that give some insight. Be aware though that not everything in these videos is applicable to the installation in the 400. Our heated floor feature is only in the bathroom. The less than 1 amp draw applies to running the pump when the unit is on propane (it's an energy hog on 110), and we're not aware of a smartphone app at this time. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDM_gy4YyoM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_N_8HXLEQ

Steve & Karen