Swing jack. Help, I'm over-thinking this.

Slip7Slip7 Member Posts: 32
edited September 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
The former owners of our Outback installed a 3000lb electric jack because of the husband's heart condition. It's slowwwww to raise and lower and I can't get open my Wrangler tailgate. 

Electric Jacks only use a foot plate because a wheel cuts their weight capacity in half. I originally wanted to just slap a wheel on it because my main focus is my wife being able to turn the trailer for optimum camp site views and to close the distance when trying to hitch up when she's solo. I think either the larger the diameter wheel the better or dual wheels are the best for ease of movement by one person. 

To meet both of these goals I want to get rid of the electric jack and go with a swivel jack with a wheel. I'm positive the tongue weight isn't over 500lbs so weight rating isn't the issue. My research on the forums suggests that some swing jacks don't extend high enough to get over the receiver on the TV and some don't have brackets wide enough to fit around the A frame's side.

They vary widely in price from $45 to over $100. Why? How is one jack so much better than the other? Is it the gearing or something? Less cranks of the handle for travel? Is there a way I can put my cordless impact drill on some of these to speed things up like I do for the stabilizers? I'm going cross-eyed on something that I thought would be a quick purchase.

Can someone slap me with a reality check please?

Comments