Options

Yet Another ARB Question

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
edited September 2017 in Products and Accessories
Was getting ready to order an ARB cooler, but it occurred to me that I'd better check the 12v port in my Highlander's cargo area. As I feared, it does not work unless the car is running or the key is in the ACC position. That's not gonna work!

Those of you with ARBs, do your vehicles have power ports that stay on all the time?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Good question.  Just checked the owners manual for my Ford SUV.  It says do not leave anything plugged into the power port when the engine is not running - it will drain the battery.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options

I just bought my ARB and have taken it camping only once.  I did have it plugged into the rear power port on the way to the campsite.  I stopped for gas and turned off the vehicle.  I can't recall if I had to manually turn the ARB back on at the gas station - or if the ARB turned itself back on.  Check out the Whynter brand before buying an ARB.  Saw this model at a campsite recently and thought it was very cool.  Has a separate frig and freezer compartment.  About $700 on Amazon.

• Options
    I'm thinking more of the thing staying cool when we're not driving. Seems limited usefulness if it won't keep things cold overnight. Do people switch them over to their T@B battery?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Toyota Tacoma does not power any accessory plug if the engine is off. The ARB is so well insulated (with the addition of 3 folded flannel quilts on the top) that I never gain more than 2* over a 2+ hr period while shopping or what ever.

I ordered a 15' extension cord from ARB that I added a Zamp SAE plug on it so it will plug into my 2nd Zamp plug on the tongue box. I can run the extension cord out the window and plug it into the Zamp outlet. I also carry a 40' extension cord that I can plug into a 120V outlet for the few times I have electricity. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I added another Zamp SAE outlet to the propane tub just for the ARB.  I also added a Zamp outlet in the TV just for the ARB to use while traveling.  I too bought a 15' Zamp extension cord to connect the ARB in the TV with the trailer battery in the propane tub.  BTW, the ARB uses very little battery power when on as long as it's not in direct sunlight.  My plan is to keep the ARB in the TV at all times and just move the plug when leaving the campsite for sightseeing.  Love Verna's idea of covering the ARB with blankets.  Another option I considered was buying a separate 60 AH battery just for the ARB and use my existing Zamp solar panels to recharge it as needed.  A cheaper option is to not buy an ARB and just kill/capture your food each day.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:  A cheaper option is to not buy an ARB and just kill/capture your food each day.
    Some of the places we travel there is no Wegmans. 
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    When I do not have a continious plug for my ARB, I simply install one from the car battery.

the ARB is so cheap on electricity, that it will work for at least 2 days on a small battery and can go up to 4 days on a new big amp battery, and still start the jeep.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have a Leer bed top on my truck. It has 3x 12V constant power outlets next to the tailgate. The ARB lives there. Fits perfect. I purchased my ARB during a great sale and it included the insulated cover. That is a MUST! Blankets to cover the fact it's in the back is a good thing, but don't cover the vent outlet.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Agood stuff to make a cover is the thermo foil.  The one with air bubble.  Keep hor air out and cold air in and it is pretty cheap.  Did that to a cooler before, but when I gor my arb, it had the travel cover from p/o.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Luckyj, I had some of that used for packing in something I ordered. Saved it! It's great stuff. I had never seen it before (heard of it). It's a good mod for the ARB.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2017
    Some great points above!   One thing you need to do is adjust the voltage "shut-off" point of the ARB so that it doesn't kill your tow vehicle battery when plugged in.   Check the owners manual as you can easily do this.  

I took some of the extra Reflectix insulation I (had left over from the project) used for insulating my T@B  and available at Home depot, etc., cut it to size, stuffed some pieces down around the side of ARB.  And as Rat kitty noted, make sure that the vents at the back and bottom portion of the ARB are left uncovered as otherwise the unit will not receive air flow for cooling and the unit will overheat.  

I also keep my ARB in the bed of my pick-up, back in to the campsite and either plug it in to a 110 volt receptacle on the side of the trailer or in to the extra Zamp solar port I installed in the tub of the trailer.  And depending on the night time temps when boondocking, I DO unplug the ARB at night to conserve energy and as noted, it is well insulated and the temperature stays within 2-3 degrees and have not had any food issues. 

At season's end or when spring arrives, take an air compressor (air gun) and blow some high pressure air into the cooling vent fin area at the bottom/rear area of the ARB.  You will be amazed at how much dust and grit collect from air flowing into that area!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Some great points above!   One thing you need to do is adjust the voltage "shut-off" point of the ARB so that it doesn't kill your tow vehicle battery when plugged in.   Check the owners manual as you can easily do this.  

I took some of the extra Reflectix insulation I (had left over from the project) used for insulating my T@B  and available at Home depot, etc., cut it to size, stuffed some pieces down around the side of ARB.  And as Rat kitty noted, make sure that the vents at the back and bottom portion of the ARB are left uncovered as otherwise the unit will not receive air flow for cooling and the unit will overheat.  

I also keep my ARB in the bed of my pick-up, back in to the campsite and either plug it in to a 110 volt receptacle on the side of the trailer or in to the extra Zamp solar port I installed in the tub of the trailer.  And depending on the night time temps when boondocking, I DO unplug the ARB at night to conserve energy and as noted, it is well insulated and the temperature stays within 2-3 degrees and have not had any food issues. 

At season's end or when spring arrives, take an air compressor (air gun) and blow some high pressure air into the cooling vent fin area at the bottom/rear area of the ARB.  You will be amazed at how much dust and grit collect from air flowing into that area!  

Good suggestion on blowing out the cooling vent, Mike.

On my Grand Cherokee, I can use my 12v in the cargo area, either way. If I understand it, correctly, I can set the ARB to shut off if it uses too much power so it does not kill my TV battery?

To switch my 12v int eh cargo area, I simply need to change the fuse position, I believe. Right now I do not have it run when the TV is off. It would be nice to be able to let it run off of my TV battery when I stop at Walmart overnight, rather than pull out the cable to connect to the battery....especially when it is raining. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I too recently purchased an ARB and the 8 gauge ARB Fridge Freezer Wiring Kit & Threaded Socket. I plan to install the threaded socket in back of the Sorento and just leave the ARB in the TV all the time. Until I could get that done and as an auxiliary battery solution to run the ARB, I have re-purposed a 35AH AGM battery. I set it up with 3 pigtails for power, a12V power plug, to run the ARB off, a  NOCO Genius GC002 Eyelet Terminal Connector for charging the battery with my noco genius g3500 charger and a 2 pole zamp style connector to keep the battery charged while I'm at camp with my 60 watt solar panel. More options means more ways to succeed.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    My vehicles also cut off the 12v when the key is turned off.  I did not find this disturbing unless I was going to be out of the car for a long period of time, 2 or more hours.  When I arrive at the campground, I keep the ARB in the vehicle, unplug from the 12v and switch over to 110v using an extension cord to plug into the camp electrical post.  If I have to use the vehicle to go anywhere, I just switch back to 12v.  Not that much of a problem, just leave both electrical cords attached to the ARB, and switch if needed.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH