Options

Running Lights Not Working

Just returned home from a rainy 3 day trip and had an odd thing happen during the trip.  Prior to this trip I attached a rear view camera to my Tab and used the running light wires for power.  Worked fine before the trip but about 30 minutes in I noticed that the camera showed "no signal".  When I got to the campground I saw that my running lights were not working either.  My first thought was a loose connection but when I unplugged the 7 pin and plugged it back in, the running lights and camera came back on.  That happened a few times while I was camping.  I plugged in the 7 pin to check things and lights/camera didn't work.  Then they did.  No signal on the way home but when I drove into my driveway, the camera was working again and so were the running lights.  The brake lights, backup lights, signals, etc. all work fine.  Never a problem with those.  It sounds to me like the 7 pin may be the problem since unplugging and plugging it back in sometimes corrected it temporarily.  Anything else I should be looking for?  Is one "pin" of the 7 pin just dedicated to those side running lights?  Can I get a 7 pin tester or is something else better?  I did crawl under the sofa while camping and checked the connections where I added the camera wires.  It all looked good.
2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Good point @pthomas745 I briefly thought of that but thought it must be something more complicated.  I will definitely give that a try and hope that is all I need to do!
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2017
    If it were me, I'd take the wiring harness apart and tighten down each screw lug in the trailer's male end, then do the same thing at the female receptacle at the back of your tow vehicle.  The wire comes up into these points and each wire slips into a small stud with a ser screw and occasionally they will loosen up.  

There should also be a set screw or screws holding the harness body onto the plug end and the same at the female receptacle.  Check for possible corrosion  on the wire ends as well and you can buy some  dielectric wiring compound at your local AutoZone store and put some on the ends of the wire and also where the wiring plugs into the vehicle.  It's probably something very simple and unfortunately these things seem to pop up after projects like the one you just completed, etc.

But to answer your other question, there is a seven prong tester that is available and can be purchased on Amazon or at your local RV store.  I stopped in to Camping World up in Northern Michigan a couple of years ago and they checked my wiring for me, for free.

Good luck!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @foxden, Agree with @Michigan_Mike about checking your connections. Our Avalanche was purchased used, and already had the tow package from the factory. That being said, I had a similar issue with the seven pin connector. I open the door for the seven pin connector on the Avalanche, and found slight corrosion on the connectors. I used a small brass brush, and carefully scraped off the corrosion with a small flat tip screwdriver. I then applied dielectric grease to the pins & slots on the trailer with a Q-Tip. Took care of the problem & hasn't come back since. I also applied the dielectric grease to my shore power connector on both the trailer, and the cord ends (even put a little on the threads for the connector, and it's a LOT easier to screw on now) to prevent corrosion. Hope you find what the crux of your issue is, as I know how frustrating it can be.  :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf