Options

What tools do you take along?

FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
I know I am going to get some great advice to this question. . . .what tools do you have at all times in your T@b or TV?  I want to put together a grab bag or buy a curated selection that I can store in my T@b that should help prepare me for any mishaps that may come my way when I am traveling.  As a newbie I am starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance!
2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
Crozet, VA

Comments

• Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    One of the first things I bought was a breaker bar and a socket to fit the lug nuts on the T@B tires and another socket that fit the spare tire.
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/53523#Comment_53523

And, as mentioned in this link, a search for “tools” will find more links. Skip the discussions that aren’t mentioning tool kits and you’ll find a lot of info, probably a lot of tools you hadn’t thought of needing. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    A soft side bag to store it all in (soft scrunches when you need space for something else vs a hard case). What I've used regularly I've starred for you.*Silicone spray, *bubble levels, both *phillips and *flathead screw drivers, *cordless drill, *bit set including square head drill bits (most of the T@b screws are square head), *adjustable pliers (comes in handy when my hands don't have the strength to untighten things I've tightened previously), *10" ball bungee's (invaluable purchase, comes in handy when you least expect it! I've got three sets...), rubber mallet, hammer, small collapsible shovel, duct tape, *black electrical tape, scotch tape, *rope, 25' measuring tape, *small case cutter tool, tire pressure guage, circuit tester. I also carry my blow out valve for winterizing, more rope, variety of mosquito repellent, gorilla glue. First aid kit stays, but I've only used one band aid this season. Small sewing kit, which I've used for some mods here and there. Flashlight, head lamp, Luci solar lights. Hope this helps!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thank Verna for the link.  I did seach under "tools" but didn't have any luck.

@Homebodyatheart--very helpful!  I've got some purchasing to do!

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    In TV:
    Stubby wrenches, metric and imperial
    Measuring Tape
    Small vice grip
    Rag / towel
    Screwdriver with changeable bits
    Leatherman multi-tool
    Breaker bar with 19mm socket

In T@b
    Axe
    Bubble level
    Tape
    Flashlights and Headlamps
    Scissors

Maybe a few other things I'm forgetting to list.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BcsTractorBcsTractor Member Posts: 8
    I bought a Home Depot Husky socket set which includes the square screwdriver bits.  It is now only 14.95 and by cutting off the silly plastic handle it now fits in the TV toolcase.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Stubby-Set-with-Extendable-Ratchet-46-Piece-New/206981936

2018 T@B 320 S built with Outback axle and wheels. TV 2006 BMW X3 White Manual Trans
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Good suggestions above.  I would add a roll of rescue tape.  It can be used to seal water leaks and secure electrical wires among other things.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    X2 on all above. I would add a selection of electrical terminals and a crimp tool & wire strippers. Also, fuses, as indicated in many other posts on this forum. As a side note, your best "advice" is experience. You'll find yourself in situations where you " wish you had..." that's when you add that item to your kit, or in reality, when u get home! 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder @4ncar! I've got two boxes of assorted fuses, just in case I need them.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited October 2017
    @Homebodyatheart casually mentioned a rubber mallet. I call mine the "magic mallet". It can unstick stubborn hitches, knock out the dual axle chock I got wedged in pretty good (er, um, long story). It can do so many things! hehe. I have yet to knock myself or anyone else on the head, I swear. More people have borrowed that mallet because of stubborn hitches. Also a plus for medium type ground for tent spikes.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity is it purple?  =)
  • Options
    Oh Lordy. . . .thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I wrote them all down, no duplicates, and I have almost three notebook pages.  I've got a $100 gift card to Lowe's and I know exactly how I am going to use it!

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    Welcome to the beloved money pit on wheels! If you don't already have one, an Amazon Prime account is very handy, too. Have fun shopping!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Homebodyatheart nope, not purple, but there is fluorescent tape on it so I can find it after I set it down! I should check for purple fluorescent tape....
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited October 2017
    @Freshaire, A $100.00 gift card will get 'ya started! Better join Amazon Prime! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz,  yah. . . .I know $100 isn't going to go far.  I already have an Amazon Prime membership.  My UPS delivery man and I are on a first name basis. :blush:

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
      Box end or adjustable wrench to fit the nut securing hitch ball. It is a large size (typically 1 1/8”) and your Home Depot tool kit will not include one. Very important to check tightness of this nut before pulling away or you may get to try out your safety chains! 
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    A screwdriver with multiple bits, an adjustable wrench, and a roll of duct tape will solve most problems.

For everything else... a dead blow hammer and a corkscrew.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I also have a small super glue dispenser....'ya never know :o:s ...super glue & then cover that patch with duct tape!! :rofl:
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    I dunno about that, ericnliz. The only things I can ever seem to stick together with super glue are my fingers!  :-0 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG.....That way you can hold on to what yer workin' on! :rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited May 2018
    +1 for the soft-sided toolbag.  In the section of Lowe's where they have tool bags/boxes, I found an inexpensive 2-pack of zippered nylon bags with handles, one black & one slightly smaller gray bag, well made, and about 3x longer than wide.  They fit perfectly in that narrow storage space under the bench seat near the door for easy access. 

In the larger one I keep tools, including hatchet, hammer, socket wrench, pliers, vicegrips, ratcheting screwdriver socket set that includes zippered pouch with small sockets & various kinds of driver bits, electrical multitool for cutting/stripping wire, & more.  In the smaller bag, I keep all kinds of small parts & supplies, like small boxes of fuses, wire connectors, nuts & bolts, adapters, wire, string, cords, & small instruments like pocket multimeter, refractometer, propane tank weight scale, etc. 

And because I'm 1/4 Swiss, I always have my SwissChamp Red Swiss Army knife on my belt. (it's got tweezers for splinters & tiny screwdriver for tightening eyeglasses, corkscrew, fish-scaler, bottle & can openers, etc).  My wife has asked me on more than one occasion to open a can, because she forgot to pack a can-opener.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods