Questions For People Who Have Switched From a T@B 320 to T@B 400

We have had our T@B 320 for two summers now.  There are many things we like and some things we don't.  We have not been able to see a T@B 400 yet but this past weekend we were able to see a Little Guy Max which is the same size outside as the T@B 400.  My first impression was that it is big.  For those of you that have switched what is your impression of towing the 400 vs the 320?  How much did your mileage drop and what are you towing with?  Do you feel the need for larger mirrors?  Can you move the 400 by hand at the campsite or do you need to position it with the tow vehicle?  

Thanks.
2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We owned a 2013 320 Q Maxx and loved it.  We moved up to the 400 in August and are amaze at the difference we find.  We tow with a Nissan Frontier Crew cab 4.oL V6 and It handles it well.  We don't notice that much difference than we did with our 320 and a Pathfinder in fuel mileage. Not great mileage, but it is what we own.  The mirrors are no problem, in fact I leave the interior shades and screens Up and Down so the windows are clear.  This way, I can see most of what is behind.  I really like seeing if I can change lanes in traffic.  Both T@B's are quality, but for us, having the Bath, bed set up all the time, the closet , front dining area that we keep in the couch position, make a big difference.  I can still get the 400 in my shop where the 320 was but we do have a 9ft tall door, 10 ft wide. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2017
    @lapowers57, regarding your comment about size of 400 and LG Max, here is a thread about the two of them:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/78006#Comment_78006
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • SeanmurrySeanmurry Member Posts: 15
    I am looking at the TAB400 and have the same Nissan Frontier as you do, except mine is a long bed.  What kind of hitch are you using?  Is it a Weight Distribution hitch with anti sway?
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    edited October 2017
    We have the factory installed tow package.  If you don't have the hitch, I have purchased 3 at different times from etrailer.  I haven't seen any need for the anti sway system.  The T@B stays right behind us.  I did add the Timbren SES spring set for additional support.  Etrailer again for these.  Went with the Tekshona P3 Brake controller with the adapter for the Nissan Frontier.  Simple straight forward install. I use a 2 inch drop hitch ball mount, turned up side down, so the ball is above the hitch, and the 400 is right where I want it.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    After doing some reading I realize that the Max is a good bit bigger then the 400.  I prefer the interior finish of the Max over the 400 but I have recently read that the TV and sound system in the Max require 120v AC and can't bee run off the battery.  I also prefer the increased tank size of the 400 over the Max.  

2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    After doing some reading I realize that the Max is a good bit bigger then the 400.  I prefer the interior finish of the Max over the 400 but I have recently read that the TV and sound system in the Max require 120v AC and can't bee run off the battery.  I also prefer the increased tank size of the 400 over the Max.  

Having been in both, the 400 also makes much better use of available space, IMHO. It felt like there was a ton of storage in the 400 and even though the Maxx was larger, it did not feel as spacious. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    One thing  that I found disappointing on the 400 is that the front dinette only makes a 69" bed.  I am 6'1 and my son is 6'4" and one of the reason to consider a new trailer was so we could have two separate sleeping areas.  If Nucamp could find a way to make this at least 6' long it would be much better.  I think a lot of people would like to take a friend camping but don't necessarily want to share a bed with them.  

The other issue I have is with the front storage bin.  It is the same one used on the 320 so it is small and not very secure.  In one video I saw, Nucamp said they would be upgrading this to a bigger bin.  Does anyone know if this is still being planned?  

Luckily I am still happy with my 320 when it is my wife and I camping.  Since this is the first production run of he 400 I can wait awhile before making a decision and see what upgrades and changes Nucamp decides to make and we know that the are constantly tweaking their products.

• RyanAndLuluRyanAndLulu Member Posts: 20
    I upgraded from a T@B S model to a 400. Unfortunately, once I ordered my trailer, I stopped by the Audi dealership and my service adviser (I had an SQ5 which has a towing capacity of 5,000lbs) didn't think it was a good idea towing the weight of the 400. Therefore, because of the T@B 400, I ended up with a new car :) I do love the extra space and storage of the 400. I could easily move my 320 with my Trailer Valet by myself. The 400 is much harder to maneuver and there is a noticeable difference in the extra length as well as weight. But... so worth it! 
    Girl Glamper | Austin, TX | 2018 Land Rover Discovery | 2018 T@B 400 |
    Partner in Crime: Black pug (Lulu)