Options

CS S battery dying with fridge on while driving

This discussion was created from comments split from: Sway on Tab Outback.

Comments

• Options
    Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
    I had pretty.bad sway problem (CS-S Outback) TV 3.6Subaru Outback. I moved the spare and strapped it onto the tongue in front of propane cage. Seems to be the solution. Now having issue with battery dying if fridge on lowest setting while driving. Any comments welcome.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    There has been a lot of discussion re traveling with the frig on battery.  Your alternator output, demands on your alternator, the voltage drop on your 7 pin charge line and temperature all contribute to your ability to maintain frig temps.  Do a search on your favorite browser using this:  site:Tab-RV.vanillaforums.com [search words listed here]

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    A CS S should have a 12V fridge, and those are not quite the hogs on battery as the 3-ways are. I run my fridge constantly while on the road and never have any problems. Also often park at work for a few hours before leaving, and sometimes overnight at a hotel. The battery keeps up for those short periods and is fully charged when I arrive at my destinateion. (2007 Clamshell, 12V Fridge)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    Assuming you know that the TV provides 12V Aux and Ground on the 7-pin:

A blown fuse or open circuit breaker on the TV could readily cause this.  The circuit breaker could be hard to diagnose, because by the time you discover the problem you've cycled the circuit breaker, and it has reset.   The next time you travel far and would suspect this, with the engine running disconnect the trailer and measure the voltage (aux to ground) on the TV connector.  No voltage?  The CB has tripped.  Check the rating on your tow harness CB, and test it.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If it's a new TV, this gets even more frustrating! The hot wire on my F150 does not get power until the trailer plug is snug in the outlet.

I'm not sure if the hot wire turns on when it senses a complete circuit in the lights or what. I know that my electric jack 7-pin plug didn't activate it when plugged in (I made it so I would use the TV battery to level instead of camper battery). I worked around that stupid hot wire issue by manually turning the lights on so that the flat blade that is hot when the running lights are on was my positive and left the neutral where it was.

(waves cane and starts ranting about simple circuits and the way it used-ta-be when I was a kiddo. Offers up some more bad coffee to all who are listening to the repeated rant again)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)