Options

Newbie Electric Question

When we recently purchased our 320, we were told that it is 30 amp. We are planning a trip to a state park this weekend and on their website the sites are listed as 50amp. Does that mean that we won't be able to hook up at that site? Is it a different plug? do we need some kind of adaptor?

Gail & John 

Comments

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2017
    Yes, the plug is different and requires an adapter. Everything will work normally. 

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Walmart or Amazon has a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter in the RV section. Normally, the campgrounds will have 50 amp, 30 amp and maybe a 20 amp outlet also, but the only advertise the highest amp outlet. To be on the safe side, I carry a 50 amp adapter, a 20 to 30 amp adapter and a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter. I have used all except the 50 to 30.  But, I’d make a good Girl Scout because I’m prepared and it doesn’t take up much room!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    Heading to Wal-Mart tomorrow morning. Thanks so much! :)

Gail & John 

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    V, where are those peanut butter GS cookies??!?!? Those are my fav. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @GailandJohn I've also got all three. This is my first RV season and I haven't needed it, but it's in a tote with my other cords if I do. Happy camping!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Verna has won the T@bazona "FEMA Award" two years running. This award is given to the T@b best prepared for Anything.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Verna has won the T@bazona "FEMA Award" two years running. This award is given to the T@b best prepared for Anything.
    "FEMA Award", that's awesome! Is it possible to hook up to regular house current? If so, what kind of adapter would that take?

Gail & John 

• Options
    Yes, very easy to connect with house current. You need an adapter that goes from the 30 amp end of your power cord, to a standard 3 prong wall outlet. They're available everywhere.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    You'd want to be sure your 120V house outlet is rated for 20A. And If you use an extension cord, be sure it's heavy gauge (12ga or better) and not too long.
    Tabaz said:
    "FEMA Award", that's awesome! Is it possible to hook up to regular house current? If so, what kind of adapter would that take?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    FYI, all the power pedestals we've seen that have 50A plugs have also had 30A and 15A plugs. So you may not need an adapter, but it's good to be prepared. We've used the 15A adapter a couple times when our T@B power cord wouldn't reach and we had to use a regular outdoor extension cord. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Tabaz said:
    Yes, very easy to connect with house current. You need an adapter that goes from the 30 amp end of your power cord, to a standard 3 prong wall outlet. They're available everywhere.
    BTW, buy 2 of them when you finally go to get them. That'll help when one decides to mysteriously disappear in the camper "Black hole" :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks all! When I looked on the reservation confirmation e-mail this morning I saw 20/30/50, but John had already picked up the adaptor. It all worked out for the best because we were in a situation recently (long story) where we could have used that adaptor, so we're definitely keeping it. Sadly, no camping this weekend after all because severe weather is predicted for Saturday night, including damaging winds and quarter size hail. :(

Gail & John 

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    when you hook up to the house using an adapter, was told I wouldn't be able to use AC...words of caution...fantastic fan works great if you need to cool down
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    I've used my AC while hooked up to a house outlet.  The AC unit in the T@B is simply a small room air conditioner to be used on a 15amp house circuit.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I've also had no issues running the air conditioning off of 15A circuit. I don't think I have tried fridge and A.C. at the same time on 15A. That might be pushing it, but I'm not sure exactly how much current each draws.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I think the only time you would run into problems with a typical 15A or 20A household circuit is if you tried to run several high-draw appliances (like the A/C and the Alde electric elements) at the same time.

I'm not sure offhand what the A/C draws, but I'll bet it's ~6A. Each of the two Alde elements draw ~8A. You can see how trying to run them all at the same time could easily exceed the capacity of the circuit.

Even then, the worst that would happen is the breaker protecting the circuit would trip. That's what it's there for! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    We have our t@b in our backyard and connect it to a 15 amp circuit. On occasion,  we've run both the a/c and the norcold during the last 2 summers and have never tripped the breaker. You shouldn't have any problems. We've also run both the norcold and alde on one element and had no issues.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.