Options

Taking a shower in new 2017 Tab CSS, red water in lines?

So I was taking a shower after work one day, I did not use the heater because I haven't figured it out and the cold showers in Florida aren't really that cold, and halfway through the shower, I smelled something a little funky and realized red water was coming out of the shower head. I know they use chemicals to winterize pipes in these, but I will be using this year round and am unfamiliar with them. A few hours before this, I had toggled a valve below the sink in the clamshell which appeared to be the freshwater drain valve to open and let a gallon or so of water out. What did I do here? Did I take a shower in antifreeze? I was concerned that I drained the propylene glycol system for heating, which I may use a few times in the winter. Any ideas as to what happened would be great, thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,523
    Cfkingfish, yes that sounds like antifreeze coming out of the shower.  To clear it from all your plumbing while connected to city water open up your faucets and shower faucets/ hoses to hot and cold and rinse it out.  There was probably some down your toilet, too but that will wash away when you flush and then dump the black tank.  

The toggle valve under the CS galley sink was the drain for the hot water tank.  It sounds like no antifreeze in the tank (not required), but to rinse out that hot water tank before you use it all you need to do is open your faucet to hot water.  That will draw fresh water into the tank and fill it.  Don't be surprised by a lot of air and sputtering coming from the lines - it needs to clear out and be displaced with water.  You can then flush it by keeping the hot water faucet open until several gallons run from the tap.

Heating the hot water is easy.  Turn on the Alde control using the left side button.  Click the Menu button.  The Alde defaults to always heat water to 122 degrees.  If you only want hot water, turn down the temperature setting at the top to far below ambient temp., so your cabin heat does not turn on - say 50.  Give it a good 20 min. to initially heat the 2.5 gallon hot water tank.  There is an option to get more hot water by clicking the + sign next to the shower icon.  Seeing how you tolerated a cold shower, I don't see that in your future.  If you find the hot water runs out very quickly, you may need to adjust the mixing valve under the galley sink.  It often involves more than just turning a knob and I would refer you to the instructions you should have received with the Tab.

Good luck and to avoid any flooding, remember to turn off the water supply at the spigot when you leave the Tab for the day.  Check out the Alde manual, too.  You can download the manual from the Alde USA website and save it to an iPad.  It is a pretty easy read.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Forgot to add, your cabin heat is a separate system - the system that uses the circulating glycol.  The reservoir that holds the glycol in the CS is located in the hole behind the hatch over the toilet.  The level of the glycol needs to be just above the minimum line which you can see by using a small mirror and a flashlight.  Many of us mark the Minimum and Maximum lines with black permanent marker which makes it easier to view.  
  • Options
    CfkingfishCfkingfish Member Posts: 8
    Thanks @SAM, my concern is I somehow mixed the water with the glycol heating mixture as well, which would have been lovely. I realize now the glycol is a standalone system and will get to that soon once the weather starts getting cold. It is hard to turn the heat on when the temps won't drop below 70 at night!
  • Options
    Well, we had a high of 78 today in Cleveland and we are still sleeping with windows open, so I hear what you are saying.