Options

Winter Travel, Salt, and Corrosion

rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
As winter grows closer, my wife and I are looking ahead, and thinking of how we will get through the coldest, darkest months of the year.  We would like to try a winter trip in our T@b.

One of my biggest reservations is what will happen to our shiny new T@b, after dragging it through hundreds of miles of salty water and slush?  Am I worrying about nothing?  Are there any simple precautions I should take to limit corrosion?  Most of the underside of the trailer is wrapped up.  Perhaps a quick hose down at the DIY carwash after each trip is enough?

Thoughts?
2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    We intend to use our 400 during the winter at least to traverse to warmer areas.  We live in Ohio and it is something that we have always done with our other campers.  No matter what you do, the metal parts will take a hit.  Washing as soon as possible will help.  To make our 400 more winter worthy, I closed the open channel areas of the frame and sprayed undercoating on all the exposed metal underneath. I also hand painted the A frame inside and out to give it some extra protection. Finally I have made some alterations to allow full use of the water system and waste tanks during freezing weather
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    rkj__ said:
    As winter grows closer, my wife and I are looking ahead, and thinking of how we will get through the coldest, darkest months of the year.  We would like to try a winter trip in our T@b.

One of my biggest reservations is what will happen to our shiny new T@b, after dragging it through hundreds of miles of salty water and slush?  Am I worrying about nothing?  Are there any simple precautions I should take to limit corrosion?  Most of the underside of the trailer is wrapped up.  Perhaps a quick hose down at the DIY carwash after each trip is enough?

Thoughts?
    That's what we do. If I find rust I clean it and repaint. Spraying with WD40 can help.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Since the trailer frame is steel, it will oxidoze anywhere the pain wears away, but that should not impact the integrity of the frame, coreect?

The newer T@bs with the better cover over the floor should be OK. I believe that changed around 2016. Keep everything clean and painted and you should be OK.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, rust.

After a couple of seasons of a few winter drives, I found the Tab's framing and hitch a-frame had quite a bit of surface rust.

I wire-brushed and painted some 'rust neutralizer' on it, and it's looking good again.

I think it's good to keep an eye on it in any case. The paint doesn't seem to hold up as good as automobile paint does.

(Your MacGregor Point Provincial Park is lovely in January!) 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya