Options

How to determine tongue weight

Comments

• Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87

Durango Tab--How did you determine your tongue weight? If I put a household scale under the front wheel when the trailer is level would that weight be the tongue weight?
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited October 2017
    Bert said:

Durango Tab--How did you determine your tongue weight? If I put a household scale under the front wheel when the trailer is level would that weight be the tongue weight?
    Not exactly. Place something like a 4x4 on end under where the trailer ball socket is. Because of the laws of leverage that will give you a more accurate weight. Don’t forget to subtract the weight of the 4x4.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    bramptontabbramptontab Member Posts: 16
    @Bert, I would not trust a household scale, if you can get your hands on a an industrial type that would be the way to go, even then its not 100 percent accurate. 

As a rule of thumb, your max tongue weight would be 10% of your towing capacity spec'ced on receiver and tow vehicle. This includes any weight in the trailer in front of the trailer axle not offset by what is behind the axle. My Toyota Venza with proper hitch receiver has a towing capacity of 3500#, thus my max tongue weight is 350# 

Trailers should always be loaded minimum 60/40 bias to the the front/rear to prevent trailer sway. 
    2017 T@B S Max
    2016 Toyota Venza 3.5V6
    2012 ShihPoo White
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I thought recommended trailer tongue weight is a portion of trailer weight.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FishDoctorFishDoctor Member Posts: 59
    The measurement process identified by Dalehelman above is one correct way to go (there are other ways --  for example, see https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx). In the 200 to 250 pound range, it is hard to imagine that most household scales wouldn't be accurate enough compared to an industrial scale as long as you are measuring correctly. As SAM stated, the general recommendation is that tongue weight of the trailer should be 10-15% of the LOADED TRAILER WEIGHT for best towing performance. The max or recommended tongue weight that your tow vehicle can handle is a different issue and is specific to the tow vehicle. 
    Downers Grove, IL
    2017 T@B S Max, Blue and Silver -- "The Blueb@rry"
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It’s really not that important having an exact tongue weight a 10* +or- from your target weight will have little or no effect. Just traveling with your holding tanks full or empty will make a difference. Me thinks we may worry to much. IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    The level of concern depends on your tow vehicle’s capabilities.  When I pull with my F350, I don’t even think about tongue weight, other than to ensure I don’t drop significantly below 10% of my trailer’s estimated, loaded weight (which tends to be around 2,100 pounds).  However, when I pull with my Jeep Wrangler, I have to be more careful.  Perhaps overkill, I purchased http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherline/5780.html to help me manage my tongue weight.  For me, it doesn’t take a lot to put me in a bad situation; e.g. whether or not water tanks are filled, black/gray tank levels, spare tire mounted to front or not, etc.  I used it quite a bit when I first got it to learn what I can and can not have on my tongue; (the mounted spare tire got removed).  But now that I have a pretty good idea how much I have on the tongue, I don’t use it as much anymore.  If you do decide to buy one of these, they have a 2,000 pound model and a 1,000 pound model.  I chose the 1,000 pound model as, since the guage size is the same for both, the 1,000 pound model provided a more accurate measure in the 200-400 pound range (which aligns with the weight range of a T@B).  I understand you can buy the 2,000 pound guage after purchase if you decide you want that guage range.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed