Options

Towing a Tab 400 with 2017 Ford Escape with Class II Factory Tow Package

i have the 2017 Ford Escape with the 2.0l Ecoburst engine & factory class II towing package: 3500 lbs towing capacity & 350 # tounge weight. I have been towing 2017 Tab S Max Sofitel with no problems & great gas mileage. Want to move up to the Tab 400   - is this advisable with my current TV? Looks like the 400's tounge weight is close to my max but towing weight is 800-900 # under. 
Please give your thoughts on this & let me know if you are towing a 400 with this TV or one with same capacity.
Elliott Dahle 2017 Tab Max S Sofitel, TV 2017 Ford Escape 2.0l Ecoburst with factory Class II Tow package

Comments

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    If you look at the current specs for the tongue weight here on the spec sheet on this T@B page above, it is 390 Dry, 400 wet and 460 loaded.  some of the current owners say it can be even more.  We tow with a Nissan Frontier and our tongue weight specs in at 600#.  I think your tow numbers are not sufficient to safely do it.  Just my opinion.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited November 2017
    If you consider the weight of your passenger, all your gear and personal items you will likely be at or above the maximum rated capacity of  your TV.

IMO - Too close for safe, comfortable towing.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    DH has commercially driven trailers for over 40 years, 20 towing trailers over 50' in some instances. In his opinion, considering his vast knowledge and experience, he thinks your tow vehicle would be inadequate to the task. Safety is the first thing to consider, as others have already mentioned, and the lifespan of your current tow vehicle would be jeopardized in the attempt. General rule, larger load, greater capacity tow vehicle. Be safe, and enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    I agree with all of the above comments.  We tow with an F150.  We used to own a Nissan Frontier.  I’d tow a 400 with a Frontier, but not an Escape.  As mentioned above, you need to not only take into account the tongue weight specs, but the payload capacity of your vehicle.  Payload capacity is the weight of everything you carry in the vehicle, including occupants, gear, and the weight that is riding on your hitch.
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    Don’t do it!

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    edahle0618edahle0618 Member Posts: 13
    The GCWR for this Escape is 7,436 & maximum loaded trailer capacity  3,500. This is considerably more than the regular Escape. The tongue capacity is 350 & this is where I could have a problem. The NuCamp brochure states the tongue weight to be 319. My dealer says it is 335 with full LP. We don’t travel with water in the tanks but I fear NuCamp & the Dealer are off on the actual tongue weight. Does my GCWR change any of your opinions? Is my tongue capacity the main problem? Do you all still advise against? I am leaning agInst.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Tongue weight is very much the reason I would not advise this vehicle as a tow vehicle. Your ability to stop in an emergency as I had to in 2014 is greatly diminished in this vehicle.  You are risking not only your life, but also the lives of those driving around you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”