Options

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller remote hand held unit 12 volt requirements

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
For the purpose of remote monitoring ARB temperatures, I would like to add a splitter to the same 12v accessory outlet that I use for my Prodigy RF hand piece.  I am not sure if the hand piece requires it's own outlet or if this would create a problem for braking.  I have previously plugged in the frig monitors using the rear outlet in the TV without consequence that I know of... (but it required a long 12v extension cord and it was a hassle).  Not sure if both outlets are on the same circuit or not in the Sienna.  I want to be able to see the frig monitor without any gymnastics.  I could not find any info in the online Tekonsha directions.  Any ideas out there?
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    I am not sure that I follow your concerns.  I have the Prodigy RF controller and have used a splitter in the cab to power it along with a GPS and phone charger.  It uses very little power and just communicates with the actual controller mounted on the trailer to change it's settings or activate brakes manually. Your trailer brakes will work on it's last settings without the hand piece as long as the controller on the trailer is powered.  The controller on the trailer uses the vehicles auxiliary 12 volt power that is normally used to charge the trailer battery while towing.  That auxiliary power should be fused separately from the auxiliary plug in receptacles in the passenger compartment.   When the  power demands are high on the brakes the controller diverts all the energy to the brakes and restores it to charging the battery when normal conditions are restored.  That has been my experience and also what I understand about the system
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Oops... I do believe I missed the entire point of this discussion.....I will remove my comment 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Verna, I have that Accurite!  I used it to monitor the ARB vs hot galley temp.  I like the display on the ARB remote monitor better because it monitors the TV battery as well.  I will need to compare Accurite vs the ARB monitor and see if there is a difference and maybe just stick with the Accurite.  Thanks

@Hvtymwiltravel My concern was if adding an additional device to the TV 12v accessory outlet would not allow for enough power for the hand device.  It sounds like you have not had a problem.   Thanks
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio