Options

Table for outside. What goes on yours?

We are planning our first multiple days trip.  I realize that not all campgrounds offer picnic tables and those that do are somewhat booked by snow birds (think warm weather). 
I think I have convinced Mike that inasmuch as the T@B table is nice,  neither of us need to be carrying in and out of camper.
We have a lightweight aluminum, folding into suitcase size, camping table.  I think it seats 4, possibly 6.
I like the ones I have seen in your pictures, thinking small.  
Convince me to get that out of the attic or tell me why I need a smaller one.

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We usually took the inside table and put it outside under the awning where it could be used to make coffee, or as an outside countertop while cooking outside which is our preference.   If the weather is raining, we try to move the campground picnic table under the awning if possible.   Though it is cozy, there is enough room for the picnic table, the T@B table and a couple of chairs in which to sit.   If the weather is nice, we don't bring the picnic table under the awning but typically leave the T@B table there.   If we are staying in one place for several days, we leave the bed in the sleeping position so we don't have to make it every night.  
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Regarding "folding/portable" tables this is certainly a great topic and obviously a topic we have all pondered and dealt with while traveling and camping along the trail.  We are all different too in the style of table we need or use as it depends entirely on how our units are designed and set up.  

Three things come to mind (compact size, sturdiness and practicality) for me personally when I think of tables and as noted, not every campsite has a picnic table so early on I decided I'd find something that best suited my needs.  My first table purchased and one that has performed well for me on all fronts was the Roll-a-table.  This thing is compact and I use it both in my screen room and wherever needed as a quick and handy place to prep food and eat on.  These are nice tables, lightweight and made of aircraft grade aluminum so they are sturdy and assemble quickly.  

Another concern or need is to have a table that will be used for and can handle hot pans and cookstoves.  The table above can be used for that but I would recommend protecting the plastic surface and I do not use it for cooking purposes.  Instead, I recently bought a Camco Camping table shown below and it folds down to a compact size and will handle a stove.  But as noted earlier, everyone is different so this too is a subjective area and what works well for one, may not work for another.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Truly subjective.  Thank you for sharing.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Subjective in what sense Judy?  I've camped my entire life and been using Little Guy units for better than 5 years now and have hauled these things 40K+ miles coast to coast here in the US so I have a relatively good grasp of road/camping/travel necessities and it far exceeds what you refer to as a multi-day trip .  In as much as most statements can be interpreted/labeled as subjective in nature, the miles traveled and "use" experience therein equate out to objectivity from this end and is the primary I'm here (or make comments) in an effort to help out others with less experience.  And as I noted in the examples above, the type of gear that works for me might not necessarily work for others as we are creatures of habit and have our own likes, dislikes, tastes, etc.....  Thanks! 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I realize I am an outlier because I truly don't spend a lot of time e around the campsite, so a more minimalist approach suits me better. I am not a goodie, I only eat to keep going while I am out, so I ordered some of the Mountain House dried foods to try out. I do, sometimes have more time, in which case, I might opt for a Hamburger Helper meal or hot dog/hamburger meal, but overall find meal prep takes so much time that could be spent exploring. I am trying to work in some more relaxing trips so that I can experience the best of both worlds, however.

I do have a roll up Alps mountaineering table, that is in not so great shape and I got a great deal on a camp chef cupboard that has a place for a stove on top. I didn't bring either on my trip out west, and I was glad. I generally used the picnic table at the campground and during bad weather cooked inside. I do think I will likely bring the Camp Chef Cupboard in the future as it would nicely fit u deer the visor and allow me to cook outside in the rain.

I also have a larger wood camp cupboard who's fate remains unknown at this time.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Mike, your set up is awesome.  True, what works for 1 might not for another.  I can't think of a thing you would need.  I think you have thought of everything needed.  
    Good job and thanks for sharing.
    I looked at that table and another one that was half polyethylene and half steel wire cooking rack.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - "Mountain House dried foods" - Have you tried it? If so, how is it.
    When I was in the Army I had a lot "LRP" (dehydrated) rations rather than the standard "C" rations - Some of it was quite good. Haven't tried any since.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:

I realize I am an outlier because I truly don't spend a lot of time e around the campsite, so a more minimalist approach suits me better. I am not a goodie, I only eat to keep going while I am out, so I ordered some of the Mountain House dried foods to try out. I do, sometimes have more time, in which case, I might opt for a Hamburger Helper meal or hot dog/hamburger meal, but overall find meal prep takes so much time that could be spent exploring. I am trying to work in some more relaxing trips so that I can experience the best of both worlds, however.

I have a friend out in Idaho who stays stocked up on the MRE type meals.  His belief is that you need to minimize prep time during travel and spend more time enjoying the outdoors.  He also believes it's much easier to heat up two cups of water, grab a quick meal and eliminate having to do dishes, etc.  

I carry some freeze dried meals along the road too and it does minimize prep time after along drive and when one is feeling a bit tired.  I can look back and smile on the times I was able to eat a tasty freeze-dried meal, eliminated having to do dishes and sat back and enjoyed a star filled night out in the west, etc.  the Mountain House meals are pretty tasty and it's fun trying the various blends out.  I'm pondering a trip to Alaska this summer and will be stocking up on meals soon via REI, Gander Mountain and Cabella's.  If anyone knows where to get them at a reasonable price I would appreciate the information.  

Thanks
  • Options
    I just ordered some Mountain House meals and watched a couple of videos tonight on YouTube to get some ideas. The dehydrated meals would also let me pick and go from home very fast!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I am a big fan of the MH meals.  I kept pushing aside the chicken and rice and teriyaki chicken and rice ones in the bucket I ordered about 8 months ago, in favor of the pasta ones that are REALLY good.  On my last trip, I finally tried the chicken ones and found them to be just as yummy!  I bought a long MRE spoon a couple weeks ago.  Worth it. No sticky knuckles.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I found these on Amazon Prime - Mountain House
  • Options
    Sally, thanks for the tip on the long spoon. I ordered the samples via Amazon Prime. Where would I be without Prime?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm betting you bought the titanium model, but don't forget this!   :D