Options

12V Charging Center just stops working?

So I have been living in my 2017 T@B CSS more or less for a month and a half now, and regularly use the USB outlets in the charging center to charge up my phone and tablet, and last night I go to plug in and - nothing. I tried both outlets with two different plugs and no power. I tried pulling the fuse and checking to no avail, it was fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I can use 110V just fine but the charging center is very convenient. 

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    My USB charger failed.  The round 12V plug in the charging centre still worked though.  The part needed to be replaced to get the USB power back.  When I inquired about it at the time, the responses I got suggested it was not an uncommon failure. 

Until we got it fixed, we used a round 12V to USB adapter. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    CfkingfishCfkingfish Member Posts: 8
    Thanks! I checked everything, Im just glad Im not going crazy looking for a fuse or wire issue. :)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Cfkingfish, Mine didn't work right from the get-go....had it replaced under warranty. Has worked great ever since. I wonder if the factory didn't end up with a batch of poor USB outlets. Seems there was a rash of them for a short while. Check with nuCamp & see if it's covered under your 1 year warranty for replacement.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Cfkingfish, if you are the first owner, you do have a one year warranty on your T@B, which does include the USB ports. Your dealer is your first point of contact and they should replace it under warranty. 

I use my USB’s a lot and I think I’m averaging 6 months lifespan on the USB ports. I’ve purchased some marine USB port replacements and time will tell if these last longer.  If not, I’ll just go back to 12V accessory plugs with the plug in USB ports. I actually have a defective USB port in my truck right now, too. It doesn’t look like it’s made to be owner replaced without a lot of difficulty. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    With the 12v USB smart chargers available now (like the one linked below), I don't know why we are still messing around with these dedicated 12v USB charging plugs that continue to fail. How many 12v appliances are we using anyhow? If you need to use a 12v appliance and charge USB devices at the same time then do what I'm going to do the next time one of mine fails, is replace the USB plugs with a more reliable 12v power outlet. The 12v power outlets are a lot more functional anyhow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KJ57Q1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    We eliminated a USB and had the power disconnected on another one to prevent phantom draw.  We use the same type of adapter that dsatwork attached.  We use it in the van too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have purchased the USB adapters for use with iPhones, etc. and they too have failed.  I don't have a good answer other than to note that hardwired USB ports are prone to failure and it is  quite common.  I agree with the other members, a dedicated 12 volt DC style cigarette plug in port provides more versatile use and that the USB plug-in style adapters seem to be more robust than a hard wired USB port.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited November 2017
    dsatwork said:
    With the 12v USB smart chargers available now (like the one linked below), I don't know why we are still messing around with these dedicated 12v USB charging plugs that continue to fail. How many 12v appliances are we using anyhow? If you need to use a 12v appliance and charge USB devices at the same time then do what I'm going to do the next time one of mine fails, is replace the USB plugs with a more reliable 12v power outlet. The 12v power outlets are a lot more functional anyhow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KJ57Q1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Agree with your assessment but a heads up on that Amazon link. That's a good example of a product with fake reviews. All 38 entries are 5 stars and the reviewers are suspect. Click on their names and you'll notice a pattern (numerous reviews, wide range of products, many on the same date).
    Unfortunately Amazon is rife with bogus ratings nowadays. That is a discussion topic of its own. ;)
    I'd suggest selecting from the list of similar items. One that includes a LOT more reviews with a range of stars.
    Your linked item might be fine but the company stooped to bogus tactics to raise their product listing in Amazon search results.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Thanks TabberJohn!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2017
    Well @TabberJohn, that's interesting to hear. Drat! I depend on those reviews.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    dsatwork said:
    Agree with your assessment but a heads up on that Amazon link. That's a good example of a product with fake reviews. All 38 entries are 5 stars and the reviewers are suspect. Click on their names and you'll notice a pattern (numerous reviews, wide range of products, many on the same date).
    Unfortunately Amazon is rife with bogus ratings nowadays. That is a discussion topic of its own. ;)
    I'd suggest selecting from the list of similar items. One that includes a LOT more reviews with a range of stars.
    Your linked item might be fine but the company stooped to bogus tactics to raise their product listing in Amazon search results.

I have two and will tell you how they work. If people start buying them and they are junk it will get sorted out. I can afford a $9.99 mistake. The ones on the T@b don't last at all and people keep putting those back in.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Good point dsatwork.