Options

Florida State Parks

MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
I was surprised to learn today that a campsite in a Florida state park that will allow a tent or pop up will not allow a T@B. I tried to explain that our trailer is smaller footprint than most pop ups, but to no avail. I question why they have 30 amp service for tents. 
Ray and Vida Barrick
(formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
Toronto ON Canada

Comments

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Been there, done that.  We have been searching many state parks and it surprises us as well.  We have found some that will allow our new T@B but not our add-a-room.  One site asked for pictures of how it is designed.

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Mercator, would you might sending me a PM with the name of the particular park?

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Mercator said:
    I was surprised to learn today that a campsite in a Florida state park that will allow a tent or pop up will not allow a T@B. I tried to explain that our trailer is smaller footprint than most pop ups, but to no avail. I question why they have 30 amp service for tents. 
    I travel in Florida and would be interested in knowing what state park you are referring to?  These are teardrop trailers and when registering, most places don't even have a line entry for a teardrop and I end up classifying it as a pop-up style camper.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This was at Little Talbot Island SP, near Jacksonville, but the person that I spoke with worked at the Florida SP head office.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Mike, we have a couple of places in Fla we are reviewing and they specify no pop up campers allowed; however, when they ask for a pic, no problem.
    Our county clerk didn't know how to categorize ours!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I would think a teardrop would fall under travel trailer. Why do they restrict types instead of sizes?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn, I assume it is a new concept for some folks.  It was new to me until 15-20 pulled into our town being towed by Classic A and T Models.  I went nuts over the teardrop from that point forward.
    I agree, a travel trailer is just that.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I would think a teardrop would fall under travel trailer. Why do they restrict types instead of sizes?
    I agree.  That was the puzzle to me - that they would OK a pop up on the site but would ban a teardrop that likely has a smaller footprint.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    The only time I've seen them ban anything was a tent.  Why they would eliminate a T@B or teardrop trailer is beyond me?  Maybe it's because they don't fit in with 40' diesel motor homes with slide out units?  LOL
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    I have heard stories about type/size restrictions at private campgrounds and don't
    like it but understand their right to do this. But, for a state park??? that is just wrong..Maybe LGW should look into this and if necessary file a complaint or educate the state on behalf of their customers. They would be a bigger voice than just individual owners. Oh well that's my 2cents..
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We have camped at Little Talbot, a nice park.  I'm a little confused.  Having just checked, Little Talbot as well most Florida state parks generally have  two classes of site per the reservation system, RV (tents are usually ok in these) and tents.only.  Do I get the suggestion correctly that they will actually allow a pop up in the tent sites, but not a teardrop or T@B?  I've seen many of these tent sites in Florida and wouldn't want to attempt a trailer in many of them.  

Just to clarify, thanks.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    We have camped at Little Talbot, a nice park.  I'm a little confused.  Having just checked, Little Talbot as well most Florida state parks generally have  two classes of site per the reservation system, RV (tents are usually ok in these) and tents.only.  Do I get the suggestion correctly that they will actually allow a pop up in the tent sites, but not a teardrop or T@B?  I've seen many of these tent sites in Florida and wouldn't want to attempt a trailer in many of them.  

Just to clarify, thanks.

I have booked campsite 003 for February 25-28.  Under "Site Details" - at the top of the description - it says "Tent Only".  However, at the bottom of the page under "Alerts and Important Information" it states " We allow up to 2 tents per campsite in our campground.  This site is Tent or Pop-Up Only".  

When I got a call back from the State Park head office the woman on the phone told me that I wouldn't be allowed with a trailer on the site (even a T@B).

Based on information that JudyMac obtained, I called the park office directly.  Robbie said that I could camp with the T@B there if I wanted, but they restrict it to tents as it is very tight space getting in to the site from the road.  

I think that I am going to chance getting in there with the T@B as I can easily unhook and push it in by hand.  The puzzle to me is why they think a pop-up could get in but not a T@B.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I wonder if it might be a height issue as opposed to a length issue.  I've seen some that have low branches into the site, which then opens up somewhat.  They may limit it to tents and pop-ups, knowing that the top won't be too high.  Just a guess. Teardrops are certainly not "new".  Their popularity began in the 50s.  However, there is never a category for us.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    That looks so lovely!!!  Oh, I can see myself there (and not in the snow and ice in Denver, Colorado).  Glad to see you guys are camping.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    TABaker said:
    I wonder if it might be a height issue as opposed to a length issue.  I've seen some that have low branches into the site, which then opens up somewhat.  They may limit it to tents and pop-ups, knowing that the top won't be too high.  Just a guess. Teardrops are certainly not "new".  Their popularity began in the 50s.  However, there is never a category for us.
    Good point and I have camped in AZ where there were trees and limited height that would have made it impossible for a T@B to get into the site.  Most campgrounds will state these type of clearance hazards and restrictions therein.  
  • Options
    vanderadovanderado Member Posts: 17
    The problem might be perceived fairness. I get the logic that T@B's are sometimes smaller than popups. Popups are easy for the campground hosts and customers to categorize, they are never 40 feet long and always roughly the same size. Everyone knows if they have a popup or not.

Once you allow T@B's in popup/tent sites, the guy with a hard shell camper that is 2' longer will complain, then the guy with a Bambi Airstream will complain "mine is just a few feet longer" and now the campground is in the middle allowing T@B's and not slightly larger hard shell campers. The line gets too muddy.

Right now the pull down categories are nice and neat and everyone knows what kind of camper they have and where it will fit. The T@B disrupted these categories. I would like pull down menu options to be TENT / T@B / POPUP / CAMPER / RV. But as you can see, a T@B would be 2 categories and confusing.