Options

New T@b owner

norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
Just purchased a (new to us) 2015 max q. Learning on the fly and have a couple of questions: when do I use the battery on/off key? Also, not sure if the norcold fridge is working...is the green indicator light supposed to be on? I’m connected to house power but can’t seem to get it going on battery or propane either. I did check that trailer is level and there is power to the plug. Thanks 
Dennis and Mary Jo
North Carolina
2015 T@b Max Q

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The selector dial is "source" selective. If you select A/C source then your house connection should work. The green lamp is very dim.  Same to be said for D/C, but connection to the house is irrelevant, and you will be draining your tab battery.  Propane is a whole other tricky wicket...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    Welcome to the forum, to the t@b family and congratulations. Soon you'll have it all under control and I'm wishing you much happy t@bbing. I'll defer the technical questions to those with more experience and knowledge, but let us know where you are as weather, altitude and terrain can sometimes play a role in troubleshooting. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Also note that it takes a good deal longer than you’d think before you notice the fridge getting cool. I thought ours was broken the first time. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Norwood, welcome.  The battery has a cut off switch (on off key) that functions to isolate the battery to prevent drain due to phantom draw, etc.  Since the battery supplies your emergency break away brakes, you should always tow with the switch turned "on".  You can also charge it with a smart charger with the switch turned off, or leave it turned on and plug in the camper to charge your battery.  The 3 way Norcold draws a huge amount of power off your battery and you will want to read about how to manage that.  Many end up with drained batteries if they tow with the Norcokd on DC.  Keep reading.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    @Norwood, we have a 2014 Q and if you have the same model of norcold the green light is only on when on propane.  I woul select ac power and then turn the fridge to its highest setting then check the coolong fins in a couple of hours.  By then the should feel cold.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I'll add the green light on the older Norcold 3-ways (which is what I have in my 2015) is specifically a flame indicator for propane--it comes on when you are set to propane and the flame is actually lit.

I mention this because getting the propane flame lit can be a bugaboo at times. Read the directions carefully, be patient, and walk away for a bit it you can't get it lit on your first attempt. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
    Thanks to all. As I have been told many times, I need to have more patience when working with new things. Left the fridge on AC overnight and it cooled  much better than I expected. We are going on a shake down trip to a local State Park this weekend and look forward to learning more about our Tab. 
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q